News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Thoroughly Cornfused.....

Started by Back_in_the_Saddle, June 23, 2004, 10:41:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back_in_the_Saddle

So I got my starter clutch and installed it, check "headlight help" for the wierdness, and I tried to turn it over. It definetly sounds better, but still won't start. >:( So I thought I would go back to what started this thing when I first got it, shoving starter fuel down the carbs. It worked as far as gettin it to start for a few seconds, typical reving and shutting down. I thought that that indicated gummed carbs. These carbs have been dipped and mixture set. At a loss here. I see fuel shooting, and to the best of my knowledge(maybe a little shakey) all jets are cleaned and working. Not sure where to go. Thinking about getting the carb kits, but I don't want to spend the dough if it might something else. HEELLP!  

tizod

Reading the other thread it sounds like you and I are once again in the same boat.

I can get mine to start but keeping it running is a different story however I also noticed a problem with my turn signal not working.

I am looking at mine being an electrical issue and got myself a battery charger and started charging it last night.  Once I get off of work I will be going home to see what happens now.

Sorry this response is of no use to you.   :P
Visions seem like women, Not sure what her problem is, don't want to spend more money on her, thinkin about getting another one, tricks you in to thinkin things are goin right and then just stops any communication. - Back In The Saddle

tizod

By the way - did you ever say what part of L.A. you live in?  

I have memory problems....old war injury  ;)

I live near Fairfax and Melrose.  Maybe one of these days we could actually ride our bikes and meet up.  ::)
Visions seem like women, Not sure what her problem is, don't want to spend more money on her, thinkin about getting another one, tricks you in to thinkin things are goin right and then just stops any communication. - Back In The Saddle

Back_in_the_Saddle

Misery loves company, don't it? I know there is some thing in the haynes manual about the signal problem, I'll check it out tonite. I live down by LAX. We definitely should get out for a ride, as long as we don't have to push these bikes to do it. LOL. I plan on meeting you with a running bike, sure hope it's my Vision.

tizod

Hey...that's not a bad idea!

We could take turns pushing each other down the street.   :D
At least we can say we have ridden our bikes.   ;D ;D ;D

Seriously...I need to get her to get past the end of my block first.  Then it will be to get her to the gas station...then maybe down to the Farmer's Market.  

Baby steps....baby steps.

Back_in_the_Saddle

Sh*t, I'm laughing pretty good Tizod. I'm wondering if you got a carb kit and if it made a difference.

tizod

I did get a carb kit but I only got one because my Accelerator pump diaphram was ripped as was one of the carb gaskets.

I didn't even end up using all the parts that came along with the kit.

Then again....that could be what my problem is.

I swear to God...if I have to break these carbs down again I am gonna scream.

h2olawyer

Hi again, Saddle -

Glad you are getting the electrical gremlins figured out.  Since yours starts and runs with some fuel poured in her carbs, it still sounds like a fuel or fuel/air delivery problem.  (From tizod's descriptions, his sounds more like a lack of sufficient electricity.)

Do you have all your vacuum lines connected & routed correctly?  Are your sparkplugs in decent shape & properly gapped?  Is your YICS chamber leaking?  Are you setting your petcock to 'PRI' while trying to get it started?  Where do you have your mixture screws set?  the 4.5 rear & 2.5 - 4.5 front are just baseline adjustments which should get it started and you will still have to work on them from there.  It may not be any one of these things but in combination, they could cause it not to start.

Also, are you sure you got the right jets back into the right places?  The low speed jets on the bottom of the carbs are often overlooked (under the large head screws on bottom of float bowls).  Are you using the choke to help start it?

Sorry if this list is long and at times too basic or obvious but it helps to go through all the possibilities as you try to diagnose the problem.

H2o
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Back_in_the_Saddle

Howdy to you H2o, All of those things have been done, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to double check. I appreciate the list as sometimes that stuff slips by. I'll be back at it after work, aaagain.

Hey Tizod,

So where do you stand now? Vision limbo? Visions seem like women, Not sure what her problem is, don't want to spend more money on her, thinkin about getting another but know it just the same hassles, tricks you in to thinkin things are goin right and then just stops any communication.

Dam, that was profound. LOL

tizod

LOL!!! That was awsome.

I got to make that my signature.

So...where am I?

Besides looking to buy a new motorcycle I am not sure where exactly I am.  I should find out more this evening when I get home.

I charged up my battery all night last night and when I get home I got to see if that does the trick to get her going.  If not, I have to jump her again then take a voltmeter and see if I can determine if the problem is my R/R or my stator.

Lucky

the biggest obstical to getting 82's to start & run well is carb synq, followed very closely by pilot adjustment.  

vacumme leaks will compound the problem and must be eliminated, one vacc leak will make it run "off", 2 will make it hard to start, 3...forget it!

check for vacc leaks in: YICS (& REPLACE THOSE POOR HOSES!), petcock, fuel pump and hoses.

once you've got it tuned close enough to start, record the pilot settings, those are base settings for your particular Vision.

an 82 with even 2 of any of the above just a bit off will be a bear to start.  it takes patience to find the right pilot settings, but when you do it'll be worth it.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

Lucky -

Thanks for saying succinctly what I took volumes not to explain!
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

you just would have said it in "leagalese", lol

h2olawyer

True enough - Why use just one word when many will do suffice and be adequate?

Lucky

Huh?...um ok, right, what he said...

MotorPlow

Tizod,
Where did you get that animated graphic.  It must have taken me 45 minutes to read this thread as I was laughing so damned hard.  Not that I find enjoyment in others missery, but everytime I tried reading a post, I would see your graphic in the corner of my eye.  Then I would see the cashier look in the hole after the fact and bust out laughing.

Finally,
Chris

tizod

I believe I grabbed it from another message board.

I am so unoriginal.

Glad you enjoyed it.