News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Vision key blanks............

Started by vadasz1, July 24, 2008, 08:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vadasz1

Well I just bit the bullet and went to my local Yamaha dealer2 weeks ago, across the street from where I work, and decided to have a set of spare keys made.  The first set of blanks were $3.99 CDN each, but they were not exactly correct.  Good thing I didn't cut the blanks.  Oh, the dealer doesn't cut keys just sells the blanks.  I had to go to the local Canadian Tire store to get my blanks cut.  Anyways, I went back to the dealer yesterday and asked them to see if they had any new blanks that had come in.  The girl behind the parts counter found a match and then told me that these keys were more expensive.  She said that they were $8.99 CDN each.  OOOOOUUUUUUCCCCCHHHHHH!!!!!

Well like I said I bit the bullet and exchanged the blanks and paid the difference.  Then I went to the Canadian Tire store and had the blanks cut.  I made sure to take the ignition lock and the seat lock with me( stupid me forgot  to take the gascap along).  They cut the blanks for $3.04 CDN each and that includes both taxes.  So each key cost me a total of $13.20 to have cut.  What a load of bull.  I also had an extra key cut for my 1998 Nissan Altima and that cost me exactly $3.04CDN including both taxes.  Mind you it was a key blank from ILCO but still only a few bucks for a blank and cutting. 

I really hate these stealers, um I mean dealers. >:(

BTW, just to let anyone know, the Yamaha key blank part number is #90890-55813
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

kwells

I had a dealer in IL a few yrs ago cut a key from my lock # and then got that copied for like 3 bucks a key.  No need to get Yamaha embossed keys but now that it's done...breath easy.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

wboeck

Did the gas cap lock work after you got the new keys?

wboeck

I forgot to mention that my 2 new keys were cut for $35 US dollars. They had to cut the key from the ignition and no original key.

h2olawyer

Try getting a new key for the newer cars.  The keys have a transponder inside them.  If you have two keys, you can buy the right key on eBay for inder $20, take it to anyplace that cuts keys & have it cut.  Then you can take it home program the transponder - but that part takes two keys & a fairly involved, but not difficult, procedure.  If you have only one key, the dealer must do the programming.  Mom's Mercury came with only one key & getting a second one done by the dealer cost $105 including taxes.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

vadasz1

Quote from: wboeck on July 24, 2008, 12:27:27 PM

Yes it did.  I checked it all this morning and all locks are operational.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Night Vision

Quote from: wboeck on July 24, 2008, 12:27:27 PM

that's a good point.... don't get a spare key cut, check that it fits the ignition ok, and then take off on a three hour tour...

... a three hour tour...

only to find out.... it doesn't quite fit the gas cap   :P

fortunately, this did not almost happen to me   ;)  :D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

Some ACE hardwares cut & program trasnsponder keys, i do them.  some also do side cut keys (we don't)

cost is 1/2 half the dealer & takes just a few minuets longer than a plain key.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

motoracer8

I had a lock shop cut me two keys, they had blanks hanging on the wall, cost $20 for both keys, that included cutting them from an original. The blank was from a Datsun/Nissan, the blanks were from Italy, Slica brand, #DAT120. Yes they work all locks.

Ken G.

83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

George R. Young

There are Japanese car blanks that fit. You don't need double-sided if you're willing to always stick it in one way.

You can cut your own too, it's easiest if you take the lock apart and file it until all the little wafers line up.