News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Adjusting / Setting Carb Float Needles?

Started by dchakrab, May 02, 2005, 08:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dchakrab

Ok...so, before I deal with the antichrist-designed petcock assembly I've been blessed with, let me go ahead and start asking questions about my next project: The carbs.

(ominous music).

I got the manuals from Lucky (both Yamaha and Haines), and both are for the 82 bike. I'm also feeling lost and clueless at present. The seller said the float needles in the carbs will almost definitely need to be reset, and that the information I'd need to do it would be in the manuals.

So, how do I do this? What tools do I need, and how do I get started?

Most importantly, should I even start on this without a working petcock / fuel supply, or no?

Could someone rate this float needle business in terms of difficulty for the newbie mechanic, say on a scale from one to five? Just trying to get an idea of what I've bitten off before I try to chew here.

Thanks!

Dave.
Dave's Blog on community technology, Drupal, website development, and nonprofit SEO.

Project Manager at the Chicago Technology Coop, focusing on nonprofit web development.

ProfessorRex

one to five I'd say 2 on dificulty, and 3 for intimidation factor, carbs are a little scary at first glance.  Don't worry, if you get stuck on ANYTHING make a post and we'll walk you through it.

I know I've seen the steps on exactly what to do somewhere, either the manuals, here, luckys site, or in the Tech Info... one of the more experianced members will probably post the procedure.

-Rex
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

83vtwin

first you have to get the carbs out of the frame and clean them up when you get them apart without any more damage from neglect, i have my web cam hooked up now so i can show you what you are looking for and methodes of repair, i am certain that the 82 carb information does not aply to your 83 some things are applied to both models like float adjustments but it is like comparing apples to oranges and i think it would be a good idea to have petcock functioning properly you are dealing with to many problems as it is, if you understand the float needle and seats of your old bike than you should be able to set these but they are not an easy bike to remove the carbs from. rear motor mount has to be removed to get them out, lots of details are not in the manuals pertaining to steps, and then they say to reverse the order of  steps until you are out of parts and then go ride your bike, i will help you as much as possable, but sometimes to many cooks will spoil the broth, getting late and i will sign off for now

dchakrab

Quotefirst you have to get the carbs out of the frame and clean them up when you get them apart without any more damage from neglect, i have my web cam hooked up now so i can show you what you are looking for and methodes of repair, i am certain that the 82 carb information does not aply to your 83 some things are applied to both models like float adjustments but it is like comparing apples to oranges and i think it would be a good idea to have petcock functioning properly you are dealing with to many problems as it is, if you understand the float needle and seats of your old bike than you should be able to set these but they are not an easy bike to remove the carbs from. rear motor mount has to be removed to get them out, lots of details are not in the manuals pertaining to steps, and then they say to reverse the order of  steps until you are out of parts and then go ride your bike, i will help you as much as possable, but sometimes to many cooks will spoil the broth, getting late and i will sign off for now

This will not make for sweet dreams, for sure.

I'll wake up and oggle the manuals some more, and then go downstairs and look at the bike, and see if anything appears to make sense. The carb on my Bullet sits simply behind the engine, and is very easy to remove, adjust, play with, etc.

What can go wrong if I leave the float needles the way they are...once I have the petcock sorted out, the bike will run (or at least, used to). Should I run it like that, or are the carb needles important...can anything else hurt / die if I don't take care of it immediately?

Thanks,

Dave.

Dave's Blog on community technology, Drupal, website development, and nonprofit SEO.

Project Manager at the Chicago Technology Coop, focusing on nonprofit web development.

ProfessorRex

Nothing will go wrong, my petcock is bad and my floats are slighly off,  I ride EVERY SINGLE DAY (except when there is snow on the ground).

As far as taking the carbs off... uh definately not required to adjust the floats!  It's easier if they are off, but it's not needed!

Maybe it's different with 83 carbs but I definately DO NOT have to remove my rear motor mount on my 82.  Heck it takes me about 5 mins to get the carbs out, I just angle them out of the right side of the frame.

-Rex
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

Lucky

to remove the carbs (procedure  is the same both years)
--remove the tank, airbox & plastic air dam in front of the carbs.
--unbolt the YICS, do not remove unless it needs inspection for leaks.
--disconnect the choke & throttle cables, loosen the clamps on the intake boots.
--loosen the wire harness on the left side of the frame & pul out & up, same with the coolant hoses on the right.
--lift the carbs straight up, clearing the intakes.
--move them forward & to the left, you'll have to bend the left side of the ft intake in slightly, WD-40 helps.
--keeping the wire harness out of the way, slip the ft carb out the left side, followed by the rear.
--reverse procedure to install.

I've removed dozens of V carbs this way.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

QBS

It is easily possible to check the float level settings with the carbs on the bike and the carb tops in place.  It may turn out that the float levels are ok.

Read up in the Haynes manual about how to check the float levels using clear plastic tubing attached to the fuel overflow drain spigot and the float bowl drain screws.  Cheers.

Lucky

also, you can remove the carb tops without removing the carbs, just take care not to drop a screw down the carb throat.

for 83: (specs are the same for 82)
--fuel level below the gasket (clear tube method) for '83 is 20mm (0.79")
--float hight is 36mm +/- 1mm (1.72" +/- 0.04") measured with the carb top inverted, measured between the gasket surface and the float.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black