News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Carb Overhaul

Started by mastergunny, August 02, 2008, 09:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastergunny

I just got my 82 carbs back from Rich G in Kingman AZ and I must say they are like new. I installed them and the old girl that had not been ridden in several years lept back to life! Took her for a 25 mile ride with now hiccups at all. Just waiting for some instructions on how to sync the carbs with the handy manometer Rick made for me!

Great job Rick!! and thanks. ;D

Rick G

They came out so pretty , I almost didn't send the back LOL. I'll get busy with the instruction sheet , on how to set up the manometer and sync the carbs. It's been hot here and I've had a few AC calls, and due to the heat, I work on bikes and ATV's at night. I'll do my best to create the document and email it.
Oh , by the way your welcome!!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

RBFD415

I hate to start but another carb thread- I just redid the carbs on my own and reinstalled. The bike starts right up, which it hadn't done in years- BUT HUGE problem...the rear carb is pushing fuel out of the overflow tube. I have removed same and adjusted the floats 3 times to no satisfation. YES, the needle valve is in place and the floats DO float in gasoline, and they are not binding!

I'm thinking I'm missing somthing here- compared front to rear and it all looks good(?)

I'm puzzeled and need some help!

Doug H

h2olawyer

You may have one of the carbs with the overflow tube that's shorter than it should be.  Lucky has mentioned this issue a few times.  He recommends setting the floats a couple MM lower than the manual states.  Hopefully, he will chime on regarding this issue & provide more details.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

Quote from: RBFD415 on August 04, 2008, 11:16:11 AM
...the rear carb is pushing fuel out of the overflow tube.

Doug, check to make sure that there is no crap in the needle valve...Pull it out, blow it through and rebuild it.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

1) if you haven't yet, do as H2O suggests and CAREFULLY drop the float hight 2 or 3 mm

2) do as Tiger suggests, blow some carb cleaner thru the needle & seat.  often times dipping removes the big stuff & only losens the scale.  the vibration from riding the bike breaks it free & needs to be cleaned out.  this is NOT due to RickG's rebuild, it is a normal occurance.  run some berrymans or seafoam thru the tank to help clean that stuff out.

3) the drain screws are notoriously hard to seal.  make sure it's tight.

4) your petcock isn't sealing if it does it with the bike off.  pull the diaphram off, clean up the 'seat' area on the side with the o-ring, (black nylon brush bit on a dremel works excellent here) & if it's hard or cracked, replace the o-ring.

hth, --Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

RBFD415

Thanks for all the input! I guess it's back to tearing them down again!

Two notes- if it makes a difference...it does it (push fuel out the overflow) in the "PRI" & RUN possition, NOT in off.

Second does the set up of the external overflow drains affect anything. I ask because I broke the "T" fitting on the front and had a replacement made out of cooper- which (now) with the amount of times the carbs have been on and off, it has broken. Can the two carbs drain into seperate hoses? I would not think the setup of the external drain would matter, or does it?

Lucky

do you mean 'pri' 'on' & 'RES'? (not 'off')

two seperate drains just means you can easily tell which carb is leaking...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

RBFD415

O/k..lets try this again- I can't read the marking on my petcock- straight up (arrow up) it does NOT LEAK! Other 2 positions it pours out.

Just followed your tips- used Berrymans and blow with compressed air- throughly the needle, inlet and seat. Had already adjusted the floats. It is now pouring out both carbs- heavly.

Just to check my sanity- it is the tang on the float that gets bent UP, to apply more force (sooner) to lower the float bowl (fuel) level...correct(?)

That is how I recall learning it in auto shop- back when cars had carbs!