News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

swing arm bolt

Started by iain, August 02, 2008, 09:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iain

Hi Guy's,

Can any of you tell me what might be happening in this scenario. I am getting my swing arm powder coated and have decided to take it off. Now, as I am undoing the bolt that goes through the frame. It's started to loosen up and now it is getting tighter and tighter to undo. Do I persevere or is there a trick to getting this out.

Many thanks,
Iain
NZ

Night Vision

do you still have the top connected to the shock so there is no weight on the swingarm bolt?

the bolt only has about 1/2" of threads on it.... after that, it's "loose"... getting it out after it's loose can be a bear!
dried up grease has a lot of friction

keep at it... if you could hook up a slide hammer on it, that would make it easier
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

iain

I have disconnected the shock.  I will just continue to apply pressure until it is done.

thanks
Iain
NZ

Brian Moffet

Try and see if rotating the swingarm (in the direction it normally rotates) helps.  If so, then you're probably putting a tension on the bolt from the swing arm itself.  Moving it around should help get the bolt out.

Brian

iain

Here's where I am at, took to the swing arm bolt with a power bar and  it undid to about 3/4 of an inch and then became really easy to turn. But, the bolt still won't pull out. It spins freely I have tried supporting the swing arm in different positions and no luck. I even tried putting the claws of the hammer on it to pull it out. Has any one else had this trouble and how do I pull the bolt out.

Iain
NZ

Walt_M.

Sounds like you have a bearing inner race rusted to the pivot bolt. You are probably going to have to just drive the thing out bearing and all.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Night Vision

Quote from: iain on August 06, 2008, 02:53:47 AM
Here's where I am at, took to the swing arm bolt with a power bar and  it undid to about 3/4 of an inch and then became really easy to turn. But, the bolt still won't pull out. It spins freely I have tried supporting the swing arm in different positions and no luck. I even tried putting the claws of the hammer on it to pull it out. Has any one else had this trouble and how do I pull the bolt out.

Iain
NZ

yep... been there, done that.... there is no real good way to "pound out" the bolt... can't do it from the left side of the bike because the bolt goes into the drive shaft... not through it... the hammer claws only gets it out as far as you got it.... you can't get an angle from the left side of bike to perhaps punch the bolt head with a long shaft... can't get enough swing from a hammer behind it to tappy tappy it...

gaaaahhh! that's why I suggested a slide hammer / dent puller type device....

I think I just kept adding blocks of wood against the frame to keep leveraging the hammer claws.. lots of swearing

... I don't remember for sure.. I tend to forget unpleasant experiences quickly
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano