News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Funny Oscillation

Started by h2olawyer, August 08, 2008, 12:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rikugun

Quote from: QBS on June 04, 2013, 12:13:03 PM
If all else fails, hold onto the handle bars.
I've been trying to do that more and it seems to be working.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

If it starts to wobble hands off there is something wrong still.
On smooth roads does it start oscillating immediately you go hands off, or on the next bump after you do it?

js9_20

Quote from: Rikugun on June 04, 2013, 05:06:57 PM
Quote from: QBS on June 04, 2013, 12:13:03 PM
If all else fails, hold onto the handle bars.
I've been trying to do that more and it seems to be working.  :)

Sounds like good advice!   :)

js9_20

Quote from: roro on June 04, 2013, 08:36:22 PM
On smooth roads does it start oscillating immediately you go hands off, or on the next bump after you do it?

No wobble with hands off. 
Though... I have to admit, my balls aren't big enough to go hands off at 80 mph. 
Less than 80, I really haven't noticed the wobble except riding  hard, through tight turns.

So, today I made some time to investigate a little deeper...

With the rear wheel still on, I did feel a bit of play in the swing arm.  I don't know if there is suppose to be any play at all but, it doesn't seem right so, I'll be removing the wheel this weekend  and, have a look at the  swing arm  scenario with repair manual in hand .
Plan to replace front and rear wheel bearings anyway.

The steering head appears to be proper.   ... No sticky spots, travels quite freely and not sloppy.
I also, finally installed the "Telefix"  on the forks.  I had removed it from the bike I was rear ended on last year...  That bike is totaled so, I've salvaged a few good items from it.

Anyway, post Telefix-  The oscilation isn't apparent until around 85 mph.  And, even then it doesn't appear as exaggerated as before.   I can hold it at 80 now without feeling the wobble.

Seems like the issue is still there but, it's interesting to me, how much the Telefix has dampened
the oscilation.

I'm still not gonna go hands off at that speed though!  ... Well, at least not until I've cured the wobbles.    :) 

Rikugun

Quote from: roro on June 04, 2013, 08:36:22 PM
Not sure if this was directed at me too but.....   Yes, unless this is a common Vision thing I assumed something is still amiss. It seems to be quite arbitrary but if your hands stay off the bars long enough it will happen. Most times it happens quite quickly (within seconds) and rapidly escalates in intensity. If you do not intervene just as quickly the results would be very bad. Just one finger on one grip will generally keep it at bay but once removed.....   Once it starts, replacing both hands and a firm grip quickly stops it. I've tried experimenting with the throttle lock engaged and it seems to only make a marginal improvement. Down grades with no throttle seem to be consistently bad but again, it can happen just about anywhere regardless of bumps.

But back to the OP's issue.... That's great the fork brace helped that much. I'd agree scrutinizing the swingarm is a good next step too. There may be some play allowed but I'm guessing minimal. I'd look for two things, end play as if the swingarm wants to travel back and forth within the frame along the pivot bolt and a "waggle" at the end of the swingarm indicating worn bearings. I guess there could be a third element that being up and down before any spring influence is felt indicating the shock bushings are worn.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

js9_20

For now it feels like a side to side movement but, may be more conclusive after I remove the wheel and disconnect the shock...

jefferson

Check the bolts that hold the frame rail on the rt side of the bike. Make sure they are good and tight. Even better would be to install larger bolts that immobilize that frame rail permanently. It made a huge difference in my bike in handling as well as getting rid of vibration.

Jeff

js9_20

Quote from: jefferson on June 05, 2013, 05:59:32 PM
Check the bolts that hold the frame rail on the rt side of the bike. Make sure they are good and tight. Even better would be to install larger bolts that immobilize that frame rail permanently. It made a huge difference in my bike in handling as well as getting rid of vibration.

Jeff

Thanks, .. I will do that.

js9_20

Quote from: jefferson on June 05, 2013, 05:59:32 PM

Jeff

Checked the bolts...  They're already "over" torqued.   
Hope I have a chance to pull the back wheel off today.  Need to do some work to the T-bird first.