Stator or Vision Quirk. Need Advice or Consolation

Started by motorcyclezen, August 08, 2008, 05:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorcyclezen

Okay so Emmie (Emerald Vision) has been up and running great thanks to Visionary advice and my perspiration; however...

I've had battery issues.

Checked the charge to the battery and it's optimal at all RPM, except when the fan is running. When the
bike was stopped after a recent ride, the fan switched itself on and off 3 or 4 times, and I noticed a drop in battery voltage. What I did recently was to disconnect the Main at the fuse harness. The bike started fine next time around with plenty of juice to spare.

Is this a vision quirk, or do I need to take a harder look at my stator and rectifier/regulator. Coolant level in radiator and reservoir were both topped when I checked them this afternoon. It's been humid and hot around DC, Maryland and Virginia, and Emmie's been running on the warm side, but she hasn't overheated.

Off on a ride to Annapolis tomorrow, so any advice you all can give me now would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed--

h2olawyer

The cooling fan will cycle on & off after shutting the bike down when it's very warm.  Nothing wrong there, mine does it often.  It is possible you have an issue with the fan itself, requiring more power to make it run than normal.  This could be from poor connections or the fan motor wearing out.  There are probably other things it could be and you will likely get a few more ideas from others.

Have a fun ride to Annapolis!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

like the R/R connectors, all the connectors on the bike are subject to corrosion after 25 years, this includes the relays, and the grounds. if you haven't yet, all the connectors should be cleaned & tightened.  Riick favors dunking them in TSP to clean them, i like corrosion spray for marine wiring (Ace Hardware or marine supply shops)  i also take neelde nose pliers & slightly close up the female connectors to make them tight, & give everything a thin dab of dielectric grease.

The relays are not waterproof (imagine that!) & should be carefully opened & cleaned out with electronics spray.  i'll run a piece of 1000 grit sandpaper over the contacts too.  this should be done with the start, run, horn, t/s switches too.

it's all a bit of a pain in the ass, & takes some time but it's well worth it.  if you've built up just a little resistance at all the connectors over time, it has a big cumulative effect.

don't forget the ground under the left coil too.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

Not tsp, but CLR  .  Does a great job , used it for many years.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Aelwulf

I definitely second the connectors bit.  Even if not the reason fo rthis worth it to save possible headache down the road.  Little over a year ago my fan started by itself around 7-8am I think it was (after sitting turned off at a friend's I was crashing at for 4-5 hours).  I couldn't get it to shut off until it killed the battery around 9-9:30.  After a jump or two off his truck's battery I managed to ride it home, after some advice on here I cleaned the two connectors at the sensor and the ground and haven't had an issue from it since.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

kev10104

Does anyone know where I can get a new stator for a 1983 vision?I am in Oshawa,Ontario.

h2olawyer

You have some choices.

Yamaha dealer - expensive but probably best quality.
Electrosport - (www.electrosport.com)
Rick's Motorsport Electrics - www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com
Tim Parrott - auctions on eBay
RMStator - also auctions on eBay.

Tim Parrot & Ricks have a similar appearance.  Electrosport & RMStator have a similar appearance.  I think Tim Parrott & Electrosport supply the other sellers.  Just my guess.  They all seem to work for everyone else - I just burn them all up in about 1,000 miles anyway, so I can't be an objective judge of their longevity.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

Quote from: h2olawyer on August 18, 2008, 05:13:59 PM

.... I just burn them all up in about 1,000 miles anyway, so I can't be an objective judge of their longevity.

H2O

China called... they want a couple of your old stators back to make some more Gold Medals

::) sorry...  ;) last I heard you have 2k on one?

YESSSSSSS

keep it going
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

Shhhhhh - trying to keep the current stator mileage secret.   ;)  Don't want that gremlin to reanimate!

China sure is hauling them in.  US total medals ain't bad, though.  Some surprises there, too - like the water polo team making it direct to the medal round.   8)

H2O