News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Vision owners are masochists

Started by Lucky, August 10, 2008, 09:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

this'll be great thinks I: one 'Touring' Vision, loaded with bags, comfey seat, full fairing, creature comforts, the other stripped down, light, agile. If one has a problem, i'll just ride the other one thinks I.

Idiot!

All i did was give myself twice the headaches. I spend nearly every day off fixing one or the other, instead of doing other things around the house i need/want to do, or relaxing...

idiot!

on the plus side i did install running water in my shop today.

end rant?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Lucky

Oh & now my friend is sick on top of all that. :(

Feel better Dave!!!!

elemonator

I feel you..went out to ride mine today and I was wiping her down and kept smelling gas..thought 'it is a garage 'til I saw it...seeping from the seam at the rear of the tank under the seat...the dreaded gas leak...again..I guess I should've spen more than 200 bucks for a tank..ha ha so instead of riding I was disassembling and draining Still love it... :P Maybe fiberglass is not that much expense/hassle...

h2olawyer

Well, Lucky - you have one V that you lovingly refurbished & upgraded a few years ago.  It is just in need of a little freshening up.  As for cafe bike, you're still putting the good back into it.  You'll have them both reliable soon.

Running water in the shop sounds great.  I've been toying with the idea of putting a laundry sink in my garage.  It's right next to my kitchen & running the plumbing would be simple.  Could also set it up so I could easily shut the water off during the winter & everything would be right under the kitchen sink.

As we often say around here - a Vision is never done.   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

if these were things that i could fix thru our normal course of advice, i'd agree, but the problems i've had lately i just can't track down.  i can't prove anything as a cause....

maybe i need to take a break for a couple of weeks & take the cage to work.....

h2olawyer

True - you have had some odd events - the wasp / bee in the carb was one for the books.  Maybe a few cage says will make both the bikes straighten up a bit.   ;D  Either that or they will gang up & really get even.   ::)  Either way, it sounds like you need a break - at least a day or two away from the fixing, then maybe approach it with a fresher, happier mindset.  Just an idea.

Hope things get going on a better level out your way soon!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Walt_M.

Masochists, probably a good description for V'naries. I have only one Vision but my 'new' bike is a '92 TDM. It has had fewer problems than the Vision but one or the other usually needs something.
Whale oil beef hooked!

YellowJacket!

If we don't spend time working on them, the rest of the time we spend worrying that something will happen to them.

cough cough

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

Quote from: YellowJacket! on August 11, 2008, 08:46:01 AM
If we don't spend time working on them, the rest of the time we spend worrying that something will happen to them.

cough cough

David

Well, David - what do you expectorate from owning old bikes?   :D

Hope you aren't spreading what you got via computer virus.   ::)

Seriously, get well soon!

H2O

YellowJacket!

Quote from: h2olawyer on August 11, 2008, 02:09:46 PM
Quote from: YellowJacket! on August 11, 2008, 08:46:01 AM

cough cough

David

Well, David - what do you expectorate from owning old bikes?   :D

Hope you aren't spreading what you got via computer virus.   ::)

Seriously, get well soon!

H2O

No, Im just Hacking.  :o

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

SHHH!!!!! I seem to have both bikes running halfway decent.  both seem to have been carb problems, something needing tweaking here & there, injector cleaner for the Cafe bike (who's carbs i have yet to dip, i know, i know) and synq & pilots for Tourer (i had screwed around with them in frustration before i found the mud ball, & never reset them afterwards)

nobody say nutin out loud, & no throwing tomaters...

dminor

Guys,
  I have 2 '82 Visions, One has 9 engine rebuilds and 135,000 miles, the other has title problems (with 2400 miles).
Are we twisted,demented, or just (?). I don't know but I like riding the Vision,( besides I just trashed the gearbox on my K1200LT and I have to ride the V)
Ride safe and keep the shiny side up,
Don ;)

kwells

some of these Visions dont have shiny sides...but u can keep the rubber side down
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

But the grips are rubber . . .   ::)

Don - I thought Bimmers were almost bulletproof.  How'd you manage to mangle the tranny on the Light Truck?   ???

H2O

dminor

Rob,
   The k1200 is a great bike, but it has short falls from grace. I was hauling down I-40 @ 90-95 mph on the cruise control. the transmission decided to down shift,first from 5Th to 4Th and then to 3rd. t The electronic cruise control picked up the gear change pretty quick. I pulled off of I-40 and finished the ride home in 4Th (the gearbox would not stay in 5Th). Put the bike in the garage and pulled the gearbox (BTW it takes 2 days to get the gearbox out).I separated the gearbox only to discover 3rd, 4Th and 5Th gears were damaged,plus the input shaft was cracked in 4 places and the input shaft bearing inner and outer races were shattered. So the BMW is down for a gearbox.
    Good thing the Vision doesn't have 116 hp to the rear wheel.
Don:(

h2olawyer

That's amazing.  I haven't talked to too many LT owners, but the few I do know have put lots of 2 up miles on theirs with no major problems.  However, they probably don't thrash theirs quite as hard as you.   ;D   I gather it's past warranty since you're tearing into it yourself.  Sounds like quite a project - there's lots of stuff on those bikes.

H2O

Rick G

Quote from: Lucky on August 10, 2008, 09:18:32 PM
this'll be great thinks I: one 'Touring' Vision, loaded with bags, comfey seat, full fairing, creature comforts, the other stripped down, light, agile. If one has a problem, i'll just ride the other one thinks I.

Idiot!

All i did was give myself twice the headaches. I spend nearly every day off fixing one or the other, instead of doing other things around the house i need/want to do, or relaxing...

idiot!

on the plus side i did install running water in my shop today.

end rant?

Lucky, thats exactly why I never got my spare going!  I need to pull the rear head  and see whats going on in there. Also ,I'm keeping my XL350 going and I need to fix up and sell the '74 xl to sell . there just isn't time .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

pullshocks

For a while there I was thinking of getting a second V, and there's one on CL currently with MACs and a mini fairing that is kind of tempting
But my mountain bike and wood shop need love too, and it's the time of year for tuition bills.  So I'm going to stick to the one.

Lucky

one makes you a masochist, two makes you an idiot.

of course, this makes Tiger a sadist....  :D

Kevin

Hey, dminor have you replaced the rear wheel carrier bearing? I've done 2 on my buddy's LT.