News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

'Weed' on Magnetic Oil Drain Plug

Started by macroars, August 12, 2008, 06:47:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macroars

Approximately 700 miles ago I installed a magnetic oil drain plug (from a spare swing arm). Now it looks like this:

I believe that the amount of "weed" is ok, since it is a first time installation of the magnetic plug.

You guys that know these engines - Is my judgement apt?

Is it possible to say anything about the condition of my engine from this?
MacRoarS

You are right about me being wrong.
You are wrong about you being right.
                                     House MD

vadasz1

Only way to know if the 'weed' is OK is to dry it out then roll it up and smoke it. 

To tell you the truth it looks like a combination of 'weed' and 'black tar'..... ;D
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

ps2/bikevision

thats what mine looked like when i drained the oil the other day. now my starter is making a funny noise. probally doesent help but there it is.

QBS

The good news: You captured a bunch of nasty and maybe dangerous  stuff.

The bad news: There was a bunch of dangerous and nasty stuff to capture.

Suggest you clean your magnetic plug and degrease all its' capturings.  Then, put the clean capturings in a small clean container.  Next, in two weeks go through the process again, but use a separate container.  Do this for about two months and analyze the change in the amount of capturings.  Hopefully, the capturings will decrease to nothing.

I would be very interested in the findings of your project.  How many miles are on the bike right now?

macroars

Quote from: QBS on August 12, 2008, 01:58:36 PM
Suggest you clean your magnetic plug and degrease all its' capturings. 
Good news: That is done!
Then, put the clean capturings in a small clean container. 
Bad news: It is in the bin... But I have the pic!
Next, in two weeks go through the process again, but use a separate container. 
Is pictures of any use?
Do this for about two months and analyze the change in the amount of capturings. 
Hopefully, the capturings will decrease to nothing.
I would be very interested in the findings of your project. 
Good, that is motivation too...
How many miles are on the bike right now?
Nobody knows. There is 20k miles on the meter - the only thing I know is that it not is true.
It have had about 15 owners over the years, so I guess that it is closer to 120k miles than 20k miles.

MacRoarS

You are right about me being wrong.
You are wrong about you being right.
                                     House MD

Tiger

:) What you have is not unusual given the age, amount of owners, etc. It could well be a lack of regular engine oil changes, oil being changed when oil temp' was cool/cold, etc, etc.

Each time I acquire another Vision, I get her hot 'n drain the oil, replace the drain plug and refill with a 50/50 mix of fresh oil and transmission fluid, run her at low idle for 5 minutes, drain, change the oil filter and refill with fresh oil, (of your choice)...  8)

The inclusion of the magnetic drain plug would have been better from the factory when new, however, better late than never... ;) It is certainly a worth while "Fix"... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

ps2/bikevision

im waiting for mine to blow. every time i change my oil my plug looks like that. but i havent noticed a change in engine noise in nearly 15,000 miles. though i did fix the starter clutch, and rebuild the starter. the clutch still clunks if you crank too long. i think im in for a big fix soon.

Rick G

Mine have done it all along. Its transmission bits . They should have put a magnetic plug in at the factory. I'm not concerned about it , the fragments are down in the bottom and relatively heavy.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike