News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

I just went 3000 miles on a stator held together by elmers glue.

Started by sapienwaste, August 15, 2008, 01:20:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sapienwaste

Denver - Santa Cruz, and back.

Visions rule.

Ok, it was a special elmers from a government lab (seriously). But I'm still amazed that I was able to unwind a portion of the stator and seal, wind, and solder it into working condition THE DAY BEFORE THE TRIP.

Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere.

QBS

Ya'll need to start working on chewing gum for starter clutches.

h2olawyer

If it can't be fixed using duct tape, bailing wire & chewing gum, it can't be fixed!

Sapienwste - we need to get together and prepare some spare stators.  I have a nice collection we can rebuild!   ::)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

motoracer8

Any body can fix stuff with tools, It takes a real mechanic to fix stuff without them. Vice grips, and duct tape, vital items for race cars, and motorcycles.

Ken G.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

Rick G

In the early seventies , I was service manager for Allied motorcycle salvage / Suzuki in Upland CA.  My boss who was/is LDS,so couldn't allow his family to to go on camping trips on weekends , because they would miss church.So every Easter break, they would go to Mexico  and ride the bikes. One year they took a brand new Suzuki 125 . Of course the first thing they did was hole a piston. They sought the nearest motorcycle repair shop, but they had no parts. The mechanic said that he could fix it and he did. he used a large bolt two flat washers and a nut. he simply put one flat washer on the bolt , inserted the bolt into the hole and installed the second flat washer on the bolt , under the piston crown and tightened the nut. he braised the nut to the bolt and ground most of the bolt away on the top.
You might think that this repair would vibrate , but it wasn't bad . we didn't get around to replacing the piston  for several months and the darn bike still ran like a top
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiger

:) With a wee bit of grey matter usage, it is amazing what one can do to get by, eh!!!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

sapienwaste

H2o, It seems prudent to have a closet full of them doesn't it?
Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere.

h2olawyer

Quote from: sapienwaste on August 16, 2008, 08:31:46 PM
H2o, It seems prudent to have a closet full of them doesn't it?

It sure does, but it helps if they all work.   ::)  All of mine are fried.  They are better boat anchors than stators at this point.

Actually, I do have one good spare.  The day I install that working spare, I'll just order another one.  I always want to have one ready to go with the stator history I've had over the last several years.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.