News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Difficult Times

Started by h2olawyer, August 20, 2008, 10:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

I'm going to be away from the forum a bit more in the near future.  Dad has been in the hospital since Monday and things do not look very promising.  He has multiple systems failing and came down with some sort of stomach problem over the weekend, prohibiting him from keeping any food or drink down.  Made some difficult decisions tonight - they'll try a few more things to see if there's any improvement.  If not, he switches to 'comfort care' tomorrow.  Then it's just a matter of waiting for the end.

He has had a good, long run (so far) and I hope I make it to 86 (almost 87) in as good of shape as he did.

All thoughts & prayers appreciated (in advance) as I'm not sure when I'll be able to get back online - or when I'll feel up to it.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

ProfessorRex

Rob, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your Dad.  I'm only a short drive away, let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Rex
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

Rick G

I feel your pain. My Mom  had a brain aneurysm and slowly failed. She was very spunky, her last words to me were "I wish to Christ this was over"  and two days later it was.  She was only 69.  You and your Dad are in our prayers.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

YellowJacket!

Rob,
Your're in a tough pace to be in and I feel for you.  Unfortunately in my line of work thats something I see on almost a daily basis and I know what you are going through and how you feel.  I wish there was something that I  could do or say to make things better.  You and your father ARE in my...and my family's thouhts and prayers.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

Don't be a stranger here, this is a good place to get your mind 'off topic' even for just a few minuets.

Chin up, we're here for you!

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

You are ALL In our thoughts and prayers Robert...

Tiger.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

h2olawyer

Well, the hospital does have a guest WiFi, so I am able to keep in touch.

Dad did not respond to any treatments last night, so his care has changed from treatment to comfort care.  he has many health issues affecting what the docs were and were not able to do for him.

Again, I sincerely appreciate all the kind thoughts, wishes & prayers.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

if you get a chance, can you do me a favor?.... either take a recent photo of the two of you to together... or email me one of your favorites...

...I'll take you two along with us up to Tiger's ride in September...

AND be sure to tell Dad that you two are going on a ride  :)

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

We aren't much of a photo taking family.  However, I have a good one from our return trip from my law school graduation in '94.  I'll get it scanned and send it your way.  I'd rather not take any photos of him as he is now.  I want people who've never met him to see the man I remember.   :'(  :)  I told dad we were going on a ride to Canada.  Hope he heard.  He's totally unresponsive and he's stopped breathing a couple times this afternoon - only to start again after several seconds.  Not entirely unusual for him even in his healthy days.

Glad there's WiFi here.  I'd be going totally nuts without my email and this forum.  Thanks, all.

David - I've learned a bit about respiratory therapy - both on this occasion and especially when he was in intensive care a couple years ago.  I really appreciate what those in your (current) specialty do for patients.  I appreciate your depth of understanding.

Rob

Night Vision

like I said, send your favorite... we'll take care of the rest  ;)
;D

Tiger

Quote from: Night Vision on August 21, 2008, 07:08:54 PM
if you get a chance, can you do me a favor?.... either take a recent photo of the two of you to together... or email me one of your favorites...

...I'll take you two along with us up to Tiger's ride in September...

AND be sure to tell Dad that you two are going on a ride  :)

Way to go N_V...

Tiger.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

h2olawyer

Forgot to get the pic while I was home about an hour ago to eat dinner.  I'll git 'er done when things settle down a bit.  I may need a reminder, though - my brain is kind of mushy right now.

H2O

h2olawyer

Well, dad died around 7:30 this morning.  He passed peacefully in his sleep.  At least it's over and he didn't linger for too many days in the hospital or hospice.

I guess God decided he needed another forester in heaven.   :'(   :)

As you can tell, I have been keeping up around here and will continue to do so.  It is a great escape for now.   It will likely be a few days before my mind is sharp enough again to feel safe riding the V.  I rode it to the hospital the other day, and managed to drop it while parking.   ::)  Glad there was no damage that I could find - other than to my ego.  That was when I decided to stop riding until I was thinking more clearly.

H2O

Tiger

Robert,
Our heart felt sympathy to you and your family at this sad time...

John & Cathy.

vadasz1

You have my deepest condolances.  But as you said at least he didn't go suffering for too long.  I hope that everything else in your life willnot be as hard as this was for you.

Robert
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Night Vision

my condolences also.... ( but you two are still going on the ride  ;) )
;D

Lucky

Penny & I send our sympathy's & you will be in our thoughts & prayers.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

Rob,
I'm so sorry to hear about your father passing away. I see so many people suffering every day and it is a blessing that he died peacefully and in his sleep.
My prayers and Vicki's are with you and your family.  You now have a new angel to watch over you and keep you safe.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

Thank you all for your heartfelt prayers, thoughts and condolences.  I showed them to mom & she thanks you as well.  She is amazed at how friendly a bunch of people who (mostly) have never met in person can be.  I'll second that thought.   ;D

We have scheduled a memorial service at a local city park (lots of trees  :) ) for Friday, August 29th at 2:00 PM.  My initial thought was to have it at a US Forest Service Campground that he designed 50 years ago and is about 30 miles West of town, but the slow, narrow road would be difficult for his friends to negotiate anymore.  After all, they're mostly all in their late 70s & 80s.

Mom and I had lunch at his (and our) favorite restaurant this afternoon.  Made a ton of very difficult phone calls to his family and friends today.  Sure, I emailed many of them, but wanted to give them an additional personal touch.

We will have a second memorial service with full military honors when his ashes are interred at Fort Logan National Cemetary.  That will be in a few weeks from now, though.  Anyone who can make either service - or both - is very welcome.  Contact me for full details.  I found it interesting that there is room at Fort Logan not only for dad, but for mom as well.  Guess that part of the distant future is taken care of as well.  Mom is 11.5 years younger than dad was & I told her today not to put me through this for at least another 20 years.   ;)

Thank you all again and your thoughts and prayers do truly make a positive difference.

H2O

Rick G

We  have you and your Mom in our prayers.   Rick and Linda  Greville.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike