Main Menu

Difficult Times

Started by h2olawyer, August 20, 2008, 10:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

Thanks again, everyone.  Things are going along OK, I'm just taking life as it happens.

Found a couple pix to email to Night Vision.  They were taken at my law school graduation & on the trip home (at Bryce Canyon National Park).  Unfortunately, I can't find but just the one of dad & me   Like I said, we aren't the biggest people picture takers.  I'll snap landscapes, cars & motorcycles all day long & have the boxes (and full external drive) to show it.   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

h2olawyer

For those interested, here is a link to my dad's online obituary:

www.asimas.com/ASIMAS/goesfuneralcare/obituaryDescription.jsp?domain_id=236&deceased_id=169951

Spent time today talking to the minister who will officiate at the ceremony and then came home to search through all the old photos, trying to decide which ones to display on a table along with important or significant mementos of dad's life at the service.  Still have to go through the ones I chose once or twice more before I have a small enough number of pix but can still kind of give people who only knew him at various parts of his life a better idea of all the things he did.

Thanks for putting up with these posts.  I find it very therapeutic.  Don't feel obligated to respond as I know there are really no words that can magically make everything better.

Mom and I are just taking things as they arise and will probably feel kind of numb for a while as the reality fully sets in.  We are both eating fairly well and sleeping great, so no worries there.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: h2olawyer on August 26, 2008, 12:29:52 AM
Thanks for putting up with these posts.  I find it very therapeutic.  Don't feel obligated to respond as I know there are really no words that can magically make everything better.
H2O

Not to worry Rob.  I found it quite therapeutic earlier this year when I was going through all my trouble.  We are all like a family here and this is site is by far head and shoulders above the rest that I participate in for supporting its members and being like a family.  ;D

Hang in there.  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

Well, Dad's memorial service was yesterday.  It was a beautiful, sunny day and we had a bigger turnout than I expected.  Dad outlived most of his friends, but all that remain figured out how to get here.  Along with Mom's friends & relatives and my friends, there were around 45 people there.

The service was about 30 or 40 minutes long.  One of Dad's first friends he made when he moved out West, to work for the Forest Service, was able to get up and tell a couple great stories of their early days in the Medicine Bow National Forest.  He figured one winter, marking timber for cutting & sale the following Summer, they averaged 10 miles per day and worked on the project for 70 days.  That's 700 miles on snowshoes in one winter!

After the service, many of us went to Dad's favorite restaurant and had a great dinner & conversations.

We are having a second service when Dad's ashes are interred at Fort Logan National Cemetery in Denver on September 8th.

H2O

joevacc

Dear Rob,

My sincere condolences to you and yours.  Looking forward to seeing you and your farther in September.

jv
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

h2olawyer

Thanks, jv.  Getting through a day at a time.  Even managed to get out for a bit of a ride this afternoon.   ;D

H2O

Night Vision

Quote from: joevacc on August 30, 2008, 06:03:34 PM
Dear Rob,

My sincere condolences to you and yours.  Looking forward to seeing you and your farther in September.

jv

Joe, I think I might bring 'em on next weekends ride with you and Jason.. sort of a warm up to make sure they can handle the long haul to Tigers  :D 
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

When Dad was stationed on Palawan, Philippine Islands during WWII, he had an opportunity to ride a motorcycle.  It was a military issue - he thought Indian, but may have been a H-D.  Anyway, it was about 15 miles from the village of Puerto Princessa to where the ACORN 47 base was located.  The road surface was made from crushed coral, like many roads on Pacific Islands were at the time (and may still be).  The bike had a suicide shifter.  It was squirrely as hell and taking a hand off to shift - so the slightly greater speed would create more gyroscopic stability - he said made the bike feel like it was sliding around on glare ice.  He said it was the longest 15 miles he had ever travelled and never rode a motorcycle again.  He did like my Vision - as long as he didn't have to ride it.   ;D

H2O

joevacc

Quote from: Night Vision on August 30, 2008, 09:04:40 PM
Quote from: joevacc on August 30, 2008, 06:03:34 PM
Dear Rob,

jv

Joe, I think I might bring 'em on next weekends ride with you and Jason.. sort of a warm up to make sure they can handle the long haul to Tigers  :D 

Looking forward to that!  Will I get to meet your brother then too???
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller