pocket bike for my son

Started by Lucky, August 21, 2008, 12:21:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

picking this up for my just-turned-14 yo in the morning.  he's never been on a bike with a motor, so i figure it's good for a quick learn/fix/sell for something bigger, plus it's what i can afford right now.

i'm guessing it's chinese, anyone recognise it?
http://knoxville.craigslist.org/mcy/802740431.html
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

I've only worked on one pocket bike, (small atvs and dirt bikes are the preferred vehicles here) But    have worked on lots of other Chinese  atvs and bikes , with the same engine . Its Chinese version of an older Honda , made under license . If you need parts of information just ask!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Brian Moffet

I believe those are now illegal in California to ride on the streets.  Too many people got run over on them because they didn't obey traffic laws and they're so small they're very hard to see.  I almost ran over one on my Vision once...  I think they're about 18 inches tall.

Brian

Night Vision

Quote from: Lucky on August 21, 2008, 12:21:00 AM
picking this up for my just-turned-14 yo in the morning.  he's never been on a bike with a motor, so i figure it's good for a quick learn/fix/sell for something bigger, plus it's what i can afford right now.

i'm guessing it's chinese, anyone recognise it?
http://knoxville.craigslist.org/mcy/802740431.html
--Lucky

that's one of those "linkynoworkies"  ;D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

h2olawyer

I get "Posting Deleted By It's Author" page.  Saw it earlier, though.  Cute - does it run on gas or milk?   :D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

Actually, the engines are the best part of Chinese ATVs and bikes. They are built under licence  by joint venture companies. even the running gear isn't bad , for the most part. The worst factor is the plethora of brand names and the difficulty in finding parts.

Brian , I'm not surprised that CA outlawed them, they will outlaw just about anything. Not that I approve of riding them on the street, I'm surprised anyone would even try.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

Gas or milk ROFL!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

actually, i've learned a lot now about them, parts are plentiful & cheap (from a Visionarys perspective)

Aelwulf

If not a pocket bike maybe one of the little 25-50cc dirt bikes.  They've some pretty small ones that should be really cheap at the Suzuki/Kawasaki dealer in town.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

ecow

Before you pick up a minibike check out these folks. They have an impressive knowledge base.
http://www.pocketbikeplanet.com/

Or hunt up a Honda CT70 that's street legal. Not cheap but they are a ball to ride.

ps2/bikevision

back in 2005 when motorplow, mutt, and myself meet up at the gap they took out a few of them and started racing them  through the parkin lot when it started to rain. then they strapped some glow sticks to there backs and took off for a run down the dragon on them. they even had darrel, runs killboy.com, follow them in his car. it was fun to watch.