Haynes manual ERROR?

Started by SonyUser, June 18, 2004, 02:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonyUser

Ok first of all, it appears the diagram in the Haynes manual has a typo.

what is labeled the "main jet" which goes into the very top of the carb at the opening of the primary venturi is actuall the Pilot air jet, correct?

Here's a question

Are jet # sizes the same as a drill bit of the same # size?

Not that I'm going to clean them with a drill bit, I know better.
but say the economy crumbled and I needed to make a jet for my bike.. I could get a 130 drill bit and make a 130 jet?

-Chris

SonyUser

Ok, after looking at the Yamaha schematic.. I guess Yamaha calls it a main jet.. pffttt...

btw.. what's really helpful is the yamaha online parts catalog!
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/yds/partscatalog/consumer.asp

Add it to the links page! (if it's not already there)
I love Yamaha for putting it up.
power to the (little) people!

nvdranger

another great catalog is www.powersportspro.com  There store is here in my hometown and have good customer service.  i was confused (not very hard when you never torn a carb apart) reading that same section and just believed what it said.

Ken
'82 Vision project.  First Vision, First Bike.
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

Humber

If I understand it correctly there is no bug in haynes manual, main air jet is at the top of the carb and main jet is below - those one ones for fuel.

Now, Pilot air jet is that not interchangable one just beside main air jet, and pilot jets are at the bottom, these are idle srews.
nie ma podpis?w

Jon

Wire gauge drill bits and jet sizes have nothing to do with one another.  At my hardware store we have down to #80 wire gauge, and that is already way smaller than any jet passage.

h2olawyer

Hi SonyUser!

Before the apocalypse, just go get yourself a few extra jets.  I picked up some for altitude testing and they were under $3 each from my Yamaha dealer!  I've now got a range of jets from 120 to 127.5, 2 130's & 2 135's.  You can get them in either brass or some kind of plastic.  I got the brass ones.

H2o
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.