I need some skins guys

Started by inanecathode, August 26, 2008, 04:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

I just got my rd400 running great, its all polished up and ready to rock. The only thing is, the tires it has are from 1996 and they have more cracks than a plumbers convention. The engine rebuild ended up sucking up all my expendables budget, so i'm on the lookout for some tires.

Thats why im asking if anyone has any slightly to medium used up 100/90-18 or 110/90-18 tires taking up space they'd like to get rid of :)
I dont need anything new, or anything nice, just something to at least get a few miles in with the arrrrrrrdee.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Blake

take a look at the chen-shins.  you can pick up a tire for 20 or so bucks.  I had their "sport" version, or whatever its called, on mine for a while and it was decent.  predictable slip, held the ground well enough.  it might actually be cheaper than paying shipping for a used tire.
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

h2olawyer

I had the Cheng Shin Hi-Max (Metzeler tread copy) on my V for several years when I would ride a couple times, then put the bike away.  Those tires are now on Tractor.  The rubber still seems to be in good shape - but they're fairly well worn & the rear is a 120.  Not offering them up as I need them while I rebuild Tractor - just saying they are definitely a 'serviceable' tire.  When I bought them, the guy at the shop said they are better than the OEM Bridgestone Mag Mopus that came on the V.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

jasonm.

if the bike runs good. Put on something other than chinese tires.  The Avon Road riders can be had for $70 front $85 rear.  They are a very good cornering tire.  The Metz lasertec can be had for the 100/90-H  for $70 in front. This is the "H" so it's cheaper than the "V" rated which go for over $100. ALso  retailer by be will sell Dunlops "501s" cheap. Rear $75 and front $65
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

inanecathode

I'm trying to avoid the chinese tires to be honest, i know they're technically serviceable, but for a bike that supposedly has legendary handling and brakes i dont want to nerf that so hard :) i need tires but not that badly  ;D
If this was a goldwing, i'd have other thoughts :)
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

Rick G

I have a100-80-18 , metzler  m33,  its old, but has been stored indoors, I also have a 110-90-18  Dunlop but the risk in using it is too high . I got a flat on the way home from work , on I40 and as I had forgotten my cell phone , I had to ride a two month old tyre home , flat . I bought a new tyre and the old one  is in the dead pile , awaiting disposal.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Walt_M.

I just remembered something important about RD400's, they use tube-type tires! I'm not sure why but I know they are not tubeless.
Whale oil beef hooked!

psychovision

I had chen-shin barracudas on my GS1000 and got 8 to 10,000 miles and they stuck well and handled great.

Rick G

Don't worry about the Taiwanese tyres . As far as I'm concerned they grip as well as anything and better than some.  I have ridden  the crap out of mine on a variety of surfaces with a variety of CS tyres  and not found them wanting . I have a set of CS Marquise on right now ( their a knock off of an older Avon)  and If you make it to the AZrov fall ride, I'll introduce you to Oatman road, on my Marquise.
By the way, there the ones I ran 114 on!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike