idle fluctuates

Started by psychovision, August 26, 2008, 11:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

psychovision

Hi
I finally got my '82 licensed  after I got the title cleared.
So i took it for about a  80 mile ride.
It was great ran smooth idles good at about 1500 rpm.
If I shut it off for a couple of minutes and start it back up the idle seems to drop until it runs a little  then it seems fine again.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Walt_M.

When you restart, is it running on one or both cylinders?
Whale oil beef hooked!

YellowJacket!

I suspect a leaky YICS. - The chrome triangular chamber on the right side of the bike.  Any leaks in either of the chambers will cause erradic idle.  Also, if the YICS is removed, make sure that the ports are capped off tightly.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

psychovision

I'm sure it is running on both cylinders because it has good throttle response.
As far as the YICS, I cut it in half and resealed it due to an internal leak.
I also put on new vacuum lines to it.It seems to run good but the idle varies.

Thanks

Rick G

Remove the YIKS box and blow on one of the hoses, you should not get any leakage i even try sucking on the hose . Then do the other  hose and see if it makes any difference. IE: they can leak to air or across to the other chamber.
What you describing sounds like a bad box, your repair may be faulty or not but test it.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

dlock

on my '83, when I shut down hot, the heat from the engine kinda boils the fuel and pushes the vapor into the cylinders making the engine very rich and hard to start and when it does, it stumbles for a minute or two until it clears its throat.

chips99

Quote from: YellowJacket! on August 27, 2008, 09:30:20 AM
I suspect a leaky YICS. - The chrome triangular chamber on the right side of the bike.  Any leaks in either of the chambers will cause erradic idle.  Also, if the YICS is removed, make sure that the ports are capped off tightly.

David

I heard someone with a 82 Vision bypassed the YICS and use a hose to directly connect both carbs. Will this work?

h2olawyer

The YICS does not connect to the carbs - it connects directly to the heads.  Do not just connect the ports together with a hose.  Plug each port off individually or it will run like s#!+.  Removal of the YICS has both supporters and detractors here.  My V definitely runs smoother with it than without - provided it is not leaking.  Removal and plugging off the ports is very beneficial when trying to get the carbs and ignition systems sorted out.  After it is running great without the YICS, then go about sealing it up & reinstalling it.  Makes for fewer variables to deal with.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.