keyster 83 carb kits

Started by pullshocks, August 27, 2008, 11:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullshocks

So I got my ebay deal of the century carb kits that were listed as 83 but they say 82 on the boxes ????? The part # is KY0471 .

Also I seem to recall reading that these kits have some incorrect parts.  Can anybody refresh me on which those are?

h2olawyer

The early 83 kits were mislabeled as 82s.  Since the 82s have different jets for the front & rear carbs, one of the correct 82 jets is not provided with the kits for 82s.  Seems like there was another issue, but I don't recall what it is at present.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Cdnlouie

Actually, the matter of one incorrect jet for the 82's is because the Keyster kits were based upon Canadian spec 82's which do have different air jets than the US 82's.  They do not seem to create any significant problem and may have been because of colder temperatures.  The 82 air jets (on top) can range from 120-135's which seem to be the largest size that has worked satisfactorily.

However, the label issue has resulted in some 83 kits becoming very inexpensive, and they will definitely not fit the 82's.

pullshocks

Well, it came with the wrong size jets, 125 instead of 140 as specified in the Yamaha 83 supplement.  I put the old ones back in.

The fuel pump kit came with only one of the small plastic valve discs, so I put the old one back in

Unfortunately the rebuild has not solved my runability problems, see my other thread.

Cdnlouie

That sounds rather unfortunate pullshocks  :-\. I cannot comment on the reliability of what you have gotten in your particular kit, but I have used both the 82 & 83 kits and not noticed any problem (other than what is mentioned above).  If you contact Keyster I am sure they would correct the problem and send you a couple of correct jets, although there is usually nothing wrong with the old ones, as long as you can clean them out well (use a wire to make sure).

Kenny

Hi,
  The .125's in the 83 kit are the right ones - these kits have been copied from a Canadian set of Carbs, I have no compaints with them. As for the missing disc in the fuel pump kit I'm with C L on this one talk to Martin  at Sirius,He's more than willing to help.
                             Cheers Ken S. ;)     
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Coil Coyle

Quote from: Cdnlouie on September 18, 2008, 04:56:23 PM
correct jets, although there is usually nothing wrong with the old ones, as long as you can clean them out well (use a wire to make sure).

Copper wire. I use conductors from a scrap appliance cord by twisting several conductors together until I get a snug fit in the jet. Can't damage the hole that way.

$0.02
;)

pullshocks

My apologies to Sirius.  I found the disc recently. 

jasonm.

I also got mine at the same time. Now, I have 3 kits, all with both 130 and 125 main type jets. Why would Canada have 125 mains ? The exhausts are thsame just 2 different types of chrome.   I also noticed no 140 air jet in mine. . Anyway, I bought them for the gaskets and accel pump parts.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules