Carb cleaning time estimate for first timer?

Started by VK, August 29, 2008, 01:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VK

Though I am the original owner of my vision, I have never removed my carbs for a cleaning.  Had them cleaned once about 6 years ago after the bike had been garaged for a few years, but had a local shop do it at that time.  Have been driving it at least once every couple of weeks since then and have had no problems until now.  The bike surges like something is obstructing fuel flow.  I emptied the tank to make sure water wasn't the issue and cleaned the petcock filter, none of which helped.  I do have an inline filter installed by the way.  Looking like I may need to have the carbs cleaned and am just wanting to assess whether I will realistically have time to do the job myself.  Relative to most on this board, I am a novice mechanic, but have done the virtually all other repairs and maintenance to the bike over the years, so I believe that I and my Haynes manual could muddle our way through the job if it isn't so time consuming that it cuts to deeply into other time obligations.

Also, are there any parts I should be ordering before tearing into this job?

Thanks for your feedback!  VK

dlock

good luck -
I know carbs, worked on them professionally for years.  It took three grueling and painful attempts on my '83 to get them right.  But, now I don't need the YICS, there is no stumble, 55-60 mpg pretty consistently, pulls strong from 30 mph in 5th to way past redline and a little on the rich side.  perfect for me.

There are guys here on the forum that can do them for you and save you a BUNCH of headaches, cursing and kicking the dog in frustration.

These are the most finicky things I've ever seen.  Run good at my 5500-6000 ft elevation. run crappy at 2500 ft.  unbelievable.  kinda bumbles along at 6000 rpm to 7000 rpm on a steady throttle, beautifully smooth above or below.  no complaints - just an observation showing me how sensitive they really are.

If I had to do it again, even having success, I'd talk to the experts and have them do the job for you.

don_vanecek

Wow, another original owner!  Did you get yours when they first came out or as a bargin leftover?

All I can say (having done mine three times) is it will take many hours, do one carb at a time, expect to get frustrated finding the exact tip and tilt you have to do to get them out of and back into their mounts on the motor.

It would help to have a can of carb dip, a spray can of carb (choke) cleaner, and compressed air.

I like to take a folding card table, set it up, put clean papers on it and have several containers to put parts in. I have not had to purchase any parts (other then some jet changing the first time) so someone else will have to answer that part of your questions. Take each one apart carefully looking for springs, check balls, etc. Put the first one together before taking the second apart.  Watch the setting on the synchronization rod.

You can do it, but as an amature like myself, it will take many hours. Others here can help you even more then I!

I'm sure others will give you many thoughts on this job (but no bull shit-it is a several hour job-especailly your first time).

So, who's counting-how many original owners do we now have?

Brian Moffet

Quote from: don_vanecek on August 29, 2008, 02:52:05 PM

At least 5.  You, me, VK, I think Jason, H20Lawyer.  I'm sure there are others.

Brian

GT @ oh.

Bought my 82 in 84 from dealer......had a few miles on it .......wish I had known that you could put a fairing on them...... I would have bought one back then......oh well it has one now......I wish dlock would do my carbs I only get 38-42mpg now or when new........VK......I had mine cleaned by two different guys......the first tried twice still wouldn't run ....second was at a dealer ...he says he had to clean them three times before it ran....and it still isn't right but the guy gave up........so my advice is DO IT YOURSELF......yes it will be a hassle and time consuming but atleast this way you know what was done to it ......I have no way to know what these guys did maybe misplaced/broken parts..... hopefully just a better cleaning and/or adjustment.......so unless you know of a Great bike mechanic who's cheapish.

Night Vision

Quote from: Brian Moffet on August 29, 2008, 03:33:34 PM
Quote from: don_vanecek on August 29, 2008, 02:52:05 PM

At least 5.  You, me, VK, I think Jason, H20Lawyer.  I'm sure there are others.

Brian

JoeVacc is OO... looks like you could say GT@oh is also
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

QBS

Send your carbs to Rick G.  He's a really experianced long time bike technician and a really experianced long time Vnary.  Done carbs for a lot of Vnarys here on the forum.  I've only heard praises for his work.  And, on top of all that, he's a really good guy.

Rick G

Thanks Q.
If any one needs carbs dipped , Pm me and I'll send you a document, explaining  the shipping procedure. 
I have never had a set of '82 carbs that needed a second  dipping . Any professional that needs to dip them more than once , is not someone I'd want working on my carbs.
Any mechanic that makes it a habit, of needing a second or third shot at dipping a set of carbs , would probably get fired pretty soon. At least by me!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

h2olawyer

I'm in agreement with Rick.  I've had to dip my originals multiple times & they're still not right.  That's why I've never offered to do them for anyone else.  I've always worked on my own stuff & am good enough at tires to offer to do them for anyone else for beer & cost of wheel weights, but these carbs take a special touch.  Rick has it & so does Lucky - but Lucky posted recently he may not be doing carbs for others anymore.

After I get my 83 carbs installed on my 82, and have figured out why my original carbs have their ills, then correct them, I may start offering to do carbs here - but only if Rick & Lucky are unable to work their magic first.  I've had success on every carb I've ever rebuilt - except for the V, and  have rebuilt at least a dozen different automotive and motorcycle carbs over the years.  Vision carbs truly are very finicky to get perfect.  Once they are, though, they're great.  Even the 82s can be made to run awesome with nearly zero stumble.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

GT @ oh.

Yeah I remember those days...... way back when....... before it sat for some years and got gummed........Launching at 3k...pulling up the wheel.....then ripping it up to 10k+and lifting the tire up in 2nd then 3rd.....fun times fun times.

Aelwulf

Hey Rick, how much do ya run to do 'em?  I want to do mine but I might possibly be moving again in the next six months to a year and that one will take me a couple days minimum if lucky and I'll probably have to do it more than once.  If they're good after once from ya it'd be worth it.  I'm doing the rest of the work on my own so I won't feel bad about not doing those. lol I've got mine off the bike now so I'd just have to scrounge shipping and payment.  Taking 'em out wasn't too frustrating, we'll see about putting 'em back in. ;)

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

YellowJacket!

Quote from: GT @ oh. on August 30, 2008, 09:50:01 AM
Yeah I remember those days...... way back when....... before it sat for some years and got gummed........Launching at 3k...pulling up the wheel.....then ripping it up to 10k+and lifting the tire up in 2nd then 3rd.....fun times fun times.

I musta done something right because YJ will do that now.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)