Will Not Idle

Started by newskewlarmy, September 02, 2008, 05:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newskewlarmy

Hello, newbie to the forums here.  I just bought an 82 vision and I'm having problems getting it to run. The bike would start and and rev up but would not idle so i cleaned the carbs and replaced the fuel lines/vaccum lines. Now with everything back together it wont even start. Any ideas? I've checked the idle knob its doesn't seem to be cranked in. I've got enough knowledge to with motors and mechanics to be dangerous but I certainly don't know everything  ::)

BTW been reading these forums since i got it and i have to say i love this site! It has been very helpful so far!

Also,I will be posting pic's of the bike as my restoration project starts to unfold.

QBS

Welcome to your new world.  Too bad your bike is silverstar.  They are known to be the slowest of all the V colors, as I'm sure H2O will testify.

BTW, get ready for everyone to tell you to clean your carbs again.  Cheers.

h2olawyer

My Star Silver V is slow - but that's due to the nut at the end of the handlebars.   :D  Visionless has a Silver one & it's plenty fast.  >:(

Congrats on getting your V & welcome to the forum!

It is possible you have something hooked up incorrectly - go back & check the vacuum / fuel line routing just to make sure.  The idle problem may be a leaky YICS box, combined with dirty carbs.  For now, just to eliminate some of the complexity, remove the YICS lines and cap off the ports.

Where are your mixture screws set?  It should start with the front @ 2.5 turns out from lightly seated & the reat @ 4 turns.  At least that's what we've found normally works to get things going well enough for you to get the bike started & then do the finer adjustments.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Brian Moffet

When I put my carbs back on, I forgot to hook up the YICS.  It didn't start either.  To me at least, it was a really easy mistake to make.

Brian

YellowJacket!

The YICS Box is the triangular (usually chrome covered) chamber on the right side of the bike attached to the carb.  It functions as a pressure recirculator that helps during the combustion cycle. (Im sure I'll be corrected on that).  Anyway, if it is not connected, leaks or the sun doesn't shine on it the right way, bad things happen.

For now, cap off the two ports.  They are at the base of each cylinder.  Make sure they are capped off good too as they can build up some pressure.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Night Vision

if you cleaned your carbs and now it won't start...

check to make sure the bowls have gas in them... loosen front drain screw... watch for piddle on floor... yes? try the rear.. yes?

then check your sync and pilot screw settings.

the front and rear butterflies should open/close almost simutaneously... set your pilot screws to three turns out from lightly seated... that usually gets most V's to fire and run...

and then.....
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rick G

What NV said . if you adjusted the float level you may have set it too high and its not getting any gas.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

newskewlarmy

I checked the Fuel/vaccum lines again they are all routed correctly. I know I'm getting fuel in the bowls and i know i have spark because i replaced the plugs and wires. I have a feeling its the mixture screws i will check on them and report back.

newskewlarmy

ok, my haynes book is not showing and mixture screws can anyone show me excatly what im looking for?
I was born in the age of EFI , can you tell?  : ;D

h2olawyer

Just sent you an email with a photo showing the mixture screws.  Let me know if you need any more clarification.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

newskewlarmy

Thank you for the pics that help alot! They were seated all the way in.  :P No wonder it wasnt running! Now just to fine tune and detail / paint the bike  ;D

edited for grammer*