1982 XZ and 1983 Dual Disk Wheel

Started by KENFOLLETT, September 13, 2008, 05:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KENFOLLETT

:o :o :o
@Brian Moffet: thank you so much i cleared my ideas.

@h2olawyer: i just found a used right caliper, but they asked me 400,00 euros (too much!!!).
I don't find any translation for "Speedbleeders". Help me!!!

@YellowJacket!: is the mosel where i attach the caliper to the fork?
I will search for RD350 calipers and if they aren't too expensive i'll buy them to check if they are right.

Besides RD350, if i find a caliper that fit the holes in the fork can i install it on my Vision?

Thank you all,

Ken.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: h2olawyer on September 20, 2008, 12:33:50 AM
I had one of those yesterday (bad days - not margaritas as those things give me a terrible hangover the next day.  ::) )  Tried to cure my bad day with too much beer last night.  Felt like crap all day today.  Not as bad as if I'd done sweetened fru-fru drinks, but lousy, nonetheless.

Hope the weekend is better!   ;D

H2O

I'm feeling the pain this morning.  Slept like a baby last night though.  No fru fru margaritas for me.  Straight up plain margarita on the rocks without salt.  Local Mexican restuarant has the best 32oz in town.

As for the RD350 calipers, I'm not sure if they will match up with the mounting holes on the Vision forks.  You will have to measure the mounting points on your forks and on the calipers to see if they line up.
I have part of a right side 83 caliper but the slide is broken and the piston is stuck.  Should be able to get the piston unstuck but the slider will require very good welding skills to fix.

Using other calipers might work but you have to be sure that the calipers fit both the forks and the rotors.

If your welding skills are good and you wnat to try to dissect an 83 caliper, I could possibly send it to you for the cost of shipping.  Not sure how much sending something to Italy would cost though.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

KENFOLLETT

@YellowJacket!: since it has to deal with my own safety, it's better that i won't even try to weld the caliper. I'm not that much skilled. Thank you anyway for your kindness.

Another boring question: Does the "Master Cylinder" has to be exactly  from '83 or can i arrange anyone fitted for dual brake?

h2olawyer

Most any master cylinder that is designed for dual discs should work.  There are some interesting ones available aftermarket - but they're expensive.  However, with the expense, you get an adjustable brake lever - which might be beneficial if you have small or arthritic hands.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

KENFOLLETT

@h2olawyer: thank you.

I guess i'll be keeping on searching spare parts still for a little while before i can start unbuilding or not ... i'm thinking that i can start unbuilding the bike, since it will take me long time, and see what i find along the way. In the worst case i will use only one brake, but i can ride my "Vision". I will post a "to do" list to see if i miss something.

Ken.

KENFOLLETT

I found that other yamaha bike (XJ650, XJ750, XS400, RZ350 from '83 '84) mounted the Vision calipers.
I've just looked to this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=&item=150286977039#ebayphotohosting and seems to be the same. What do you think???

Ken.

P.S. Does "BRAKE PLIERS" is another way to call "CALIPERS"?

h2olawyer

The only other place I've herd the term "brake pliers" is when referring to a tool used for working on drum brakes.  They are used to remove and reinstall the springs.  Not a necessary tool for the Vision's rear brake.  However, try to find a photo to see if the "brake pliers" you are referring to might be calipers.  With the internet, mis-identified part names are quite common.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

KENFOLLETT

@ h2olawyer: Thank you. I fount the term "brake plier" from the translation of the german word "breimszange" from this ebay auction: http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=170247722233#ebayphotohosting.

It look like a caliper to me and seems fine for my bike.

Suggestion?

Ken.

h2olawyer

It is definitely a caliper, but it doesn't look like the XZ's caliper(s).  Not sure if it would fit.  You need to contact the seller to see if he has calipers for the XZ or one of the others that uses the same part number caliper.

H2O

ironb12s

You may mount different calipers if the rotor size is the same and the mount lugs are the same.  I may tackle it during the rebuild of mine, if I ever get the chance to do so.  Already put Progressive springs in those forks, had to make the hex tool for cap nut while at it.

You'd need the services of a TIG welder to fix a broken caliper body.  The body is an aluminum alloy. 
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

KENFOLLETT

@h2olawyer: unfortunately when i ask for XZ 550 parts or if they have parts that may fit, i have always the same answer: "Sorry i don't know". So i went on searching over the web and found this page: http://www.cmsnl.com/products/4jf-2580u-00-caliper_11u2581000/. From this page i understood that many Yamaha's bike can mount the same caliper. So i thought that an XJ 650 caliper would fit the Vision. If i find a complete XJ 650 brake line not too much expensive, i'll buy it and eventually try it.

@ ironb12s: can you explain me better the progressive spring thing?

Ken.

YellowJacket!

Ken,

I'm going to put progressive springs on my Vision as well.  From what I understand, the progressive springs become mpre stiff as pressure is put on them, thus the name "progressive" - They become progressively stiffer. It gives a more linear damping to the way the front end of the bike responds and the way the forks become compressed.
With the regular springs, they compress at the same rate through their entire length of travel and the front end of the bike has a tendency to dive.  Once the standard springs reach their maximum compression, they have no more effect.

Did I get it right guys?  ;D

David

vadasz1

Dave , it seems that you are getting 'progressively' better at explaining things. ;D
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

KENFOLLETT

@YellowJacket!: thank you for the explaining. Will you manage to do a tutorial about it?

YellowJacket!

Quote from: KENFOLLETT on September 23, 2008, 12:31:26 PM
@YellowJacket!: thank you for the explaining. Will you manage to do a tutorial about it?

Hi Ken,

I did a tutorial about replacing the entire front end of my Vision with an 83 front end.  In one of the posts I showed how to insert the springs (in that case, regular springs) and add the fork oil and reassemble the fork tubes.  I don't have progressive springs yet but hopefully soon- when I have some more money - I will be able to buy some progressive springs and will take lots of pictures of the upgrade process.
From an upgrade standpoint though, replacing standard springs with progressive springs should really just be pull the old ones out and drop the new ones in....and make sure you have enough fork oil.

Ciao

David

ironb12s

Progressive springs, from Progressive Suspension, available thru Dennis-Kirk, $78.  The install isn't much different than stock springs, but you may have to press the cap a bit harder to get it into the tube.  Get new seals with them, another $22.  Orders more than $100, shipping is free.

Same springs fit my GS750E as well.   ;)
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

YellowJacket!

I checked dennis kirk last night and did not find any listed that would fit the Vision.  I ordered a set from oldbikebarn.com for 78.49 total including shipping.  SHould be here in a couple days and I will do a tutorial photoshoot of the small project.

David

KENFOLLETT

@YellowJacket!:  ;D Great!

Finally i have found two calipers and two brake disk for about 30 euros here in Italy and maybe a master cylinder. I think it's a deal!

The guy who's selling the parts also quoted me the tank for 30 euros and exhaust for 100 euros. Are they good prices?

Ken.

Night Vision

spare tank and spare exhaust are good to have.

prices are good if condition is good
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano