Carb/Pump issues and other misc questions

Started by arthurdent510, September 14, 2008, 04:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arthurdent510

Hmm, ok, I'll have to look into that.  There were no gaskets when I pulled them off, so I wasn't sure about that.  Do you remember if they are fiber or rubber?  I may just try to make up my own...

Rick G

You can make them from regular gasket material, I get mine from Napa.  There not rubber. look closely, they will really bond to the manifold after 26 years. I have applied a coat of Gask-a-cinch to the existing gasket and it will seal 100%.  Then you won't have to remove it.
My vision  starts with out the choke , when it has been run with in a week or two, longer than that and It takes a bit  of choke to get going. In cold weather it needs lots of choke to get it started.
I try to use as little choke as possable , as it seems to load up if choke too much.

If you need an accelerator pump nozzle , let me know , I'm sure to have one.
It sounds like your carbs are somewhat gummed up. Try adding a  a quarter of a can of either Seafoam or Berrymans , and run it  a bit . Its even better if you can ride it for 50 miles , to get the carb/injector cleaner in where it needs to be.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

arthurdent510

I got the nozzle re-soldered on last night, but didn't get a chance to test it out to see if it's shooting gas now.  Did cap the yics and cut some gaskets for the intakes.  There were no gaskets on there.... I scrubbed both sides down before reassembling and there was nothing there.  I did have some liquid, I'm guessing gas, between the head and intake when I took it off last night.  So I'm guessing that was one of my issues.  Hopefully have a chance to get the carb back together in the next day or two and try starting it again.

Now the next question...  if the rear carb still isn't getting hit by the accelerator pump, I'm guessing my blockage is further in then just the nozzle.  I've read that there are ways to pull that tube out, but I wasn't successful.  Any tricks to doing it?  Didn't want to go cutting slots in it like we had to do with the emulsion tube... tried using vice grips but it wouldn't budge...

Lucky

retry with BIG vice grips that bite well.
twist back & fourth while pulling up. they'll come out.  there is a weight & ball check underneath.  some even have a fine screen on them. does nothing...

use the fine wire from a needle threader to clean out the nozzle.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

You are probably going to scar up the brass body , that the nozzle is soldered to , but don't worry about it, it doesn't  hurt anything.
I use various gauge's of multistrand wire  to clean nozzle and jet orifices.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

arthurdent510

Ok, finally got some time to work on it today, and managed to get it running at idle on it's own with no choke  ;D  Idling at just a little over 1k, and we still having a little tuning to go.  Did find that it ran a lot better once we took the fuel pump out of the mix...  it seemed that the pump wasn't quite able to keep up with what was needed.  Ran great with just a gravity feed though.  Did finally get the accelerator pump nozzle off and all cleaned up as well.  So we're almost there  :)

Rick G

Just don't let your tank get too low , when not running a fuel pump.  Do you think you will be up here this weekend ?  Hope so! :D
Rick G

arthurdent510

Probably not going to be able to make it  :'(  Still need to get tires, haven't ordered them yet...  will have to shoot for the spring ride I guess...

Rick G

If you get it road worthy before it gets too cold , we could meet in Wickenburg or Bagdad, and ride to Wickeup or Prescott. Keep me posted.
Rick G

arthurdent510

/sigh, well, it's one thing after another, but I guess I should have seen that coming.  Working on painting all the plastics and tank while I'm waiting for tires to show up, and I noticed a small hole in the tank by the petcock.  Started to strip paint away and noticed that there are a large number of holes  :'(  So I'm going to start working on patching them all... picked up a por-15 kit over the weekend and I think I've uncovered all the holes, so fiberglass here I come!  She'll get on the road eventually....

arthurdent510

Ok, a question...  the front brake line is toast, 26 year old rubber is not the way to go.  So looking at stainless lines.  What's the difference between dot and non-dot approved lines?  Was trying to compare prices of putting together my own lines, or just going with the Galfer kit....  thanks!

h2olawyer

DOT lines are street legal - apprtoved by the Department of Transportation.  Non-DOT lines are not street approved.  You could get a ticket or fail an inspection if you use the non-DOT line.

Going with the Galfer kit is easier and the cost is actually less than I spent when I put my own together.  When I did mine, the Galfer kits were unknown to me or anyone else on this forum.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Brian Moffet

However, I am being a little less than thrilled with the two-line galfer system for the 83 front end.  The lines tend to get caught on the turn-signal stalk when the front end is compressed and you're on a tight right turn.  There is usually just a small pop as they unlatch from behind the backside of the turnsignal, but it's still a little disconcerting.

Just FYI

Brian

h2olawyer

I wanted to stay with the stock style setup and built my lines like the original 83 - with the single line from the MC to the manifold near the horn, then separate lines to each caliper.  I thought I measured well, but all my lines ended up a little too long.  Guess that's better than too short!  The two separate lines are supposed to be higher performance, but I'm more than pleased with how mine works.  Much improved over the rubber hosed 82 single disc.  The stock one - into - two system is more expensive to make as you have more fittings & bolts.  I spent around $150 to build the lines & that was about 5 years ago.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:) Never had any issues with the fit and finish of Galfer S.S. braided brake lines...either single '82 or twin '83.
I originally had the single Galfer set-up on "The Mistress" until a few weeks ago when I changed the '82 front end out for the '83 clip...no problems. The '83 "Canadian" was rebuilt with Galfer twin set up and rode perfect... 8) Therefore I really do recommend this product for your Vision.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Brian Moffet

To make a point, I do like the increased braking of the galfer lines, and they're easy to put on.  I think I just need to arrange something to keep them from bending over toward the fairing under those rare occurrences, usually when I am backing out of a parking space...

Brian

Rick G

I have no idea of the manufacturer of the two line system, I salvaged from the Vision racer , but it works and doesn't get hung up on anything, not  a mark on the front fender either!  My recent  replacement of the warped discs and installation of new organic pads  has resulted in brakes that are not quite as powerful, as the sintered iron pads that were on it , when I came into possession of it ,but are more progressive in nature  and not like a toggle switch. All in all its a  better ride , I may even start to use the front brake!
Rick G

Coil Coyle

Quote from: Rick G on October 21, 2008, 01:53:46 AM
I have no idea of the manufacturer of the two line system, I salvaged from the Vision racer , but it works and doesn't get hung up on anything, not  a mark on the front fender either!  My recent  replacement of the warped discs and installation of new organic pads  has resulted in brakes that are not quite as powerful, as the sintered iron pads that were on it , when I came into possession of it ,but are more progressive in nature  and not like a toggle switch. All in all its a  better ride , I may even start to use the front brake!
Rick,
         If you start using the front brake, I won't be able to gain on you coming into every corner :-\. That won't be fair.
;)
Coil

Rick G

Coil , I don't think you will have any trouble keeping up, you did fine on a bike that wouldn't  accept much over 3/4 throttle. The only time I pulled ahead by much,  was on the straight- aways , in the whoop-t-dos , going to Golden shores and I had to run her up to 110 to do that.
Rick G