News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Will Not Go in Gear

Started by newskewlarmy, September 20, 2008, 02:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newskewlarmy

Bikes Running now but when i want to put it in gear it dies. I know of the Side Stand Switch and it apears to working correctly could it be an electrical malfunction of that switch.
I've read some post about this and people say to just cut the wire. I'd rather not do that if i did'nt have to. Has anyone actualy fixed this switch? Is it even the switch thats the problem?

YellowJacket!

You may need to adjust your clutch cable. 

Someone at work played a nasty trick on me the other day and rolled out the thumbwheel on my clutch cable so when I put the bike in gear it would die.  Took me a minute to figure it out but I noticed that my little rubber boot was slid down the cable.  Readjusted the cable and put it in gear and it worked.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

newskewlarmy

could you touch face on how to properly adjust the cable?  Edit - PLEASE  ;D

YellowJacket!

Right where the clutch cable goes into the clutch lever there is a "thumb wheel" adjustment.  It may be hidden under a rubber boot.
You turn the wheel to tighten or loosen the clutch cable.  In your case, you want to tighten the cable.

Hope that helps.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

YJ's solution is the quickest & easiest to try.  If your side stand safety switch is FUBAR, then you can disconnect it for now, and find a replacement - either here or from eBay or Yamaha.  I don't have any manuals close at hand, but I bet there's a way to test the switch.  Perhaps someone will chime in with that procedure.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

newskewlarmy

ok thx ill try to disconnect and test it.  On the cable adjustment is there a setting of some sort a standard for the adjustment im looking to hit? I know how to adjust the cable haha >.< thank you for the explination anyway tho.  I should of chosen my words better.  :P

Rick G

Hi New,  its not the clutch adjustment (check it anyway) The clutch plates are stuck , from sitting too long . They will be fine , just follow this procedure.  Start the engine , and walk the bike forward (preferably on a slight down hill)  When your going around 5 mph , pull the clutch lever in and put it into 1st gear . Keep the lever pulled in and ride slowly away . At some point ,(it won't take too long ) the clutch plates will separate and the clutch will assume normal operation.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

newskewlarmy

ok got it going and its rdr  thanks again for the help everyone!