News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Back tires

Started by Kevan Norin, June 12, 2004, 07:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevan Norin

Replaced the last of my broken parts on the vision following a slow speed mishap that made me a bunch of new friends on e-bay. Then I opened a beer and hunkered down and admired my new pet and thought- "needs a bigger rear tire".  Can any more experienced visionaries advise me on this?  There's not a lot of room for more meat in back, but there was a 17 in. virago rim on ebay being sold as a way to squeeze in a bigger tire on a vision.  I'd like to hear from someone who has gone this route and who's not trying to sell me something before I pursue it next year when the time comes for a new pair of skins.  Looking for improved looks and function in no particular order.  Thanks

Rick G

I know of no one who has done this. be sure its a17 " rim , I don't remember the Virago  having a 17 inch rim, all I have seen is a 16".
You will have to be careful of side clearence  as well . Let us know how it comes out.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Walt_M.

I have been running a 120/90 18 on my '83, no problems. Not sure if the Virago rim will fit or what you would gain. As you noticed, there isn't much room back there. I read a post some time ago where somebody put a 130 back there and had the tread rub the swingarm at about 80 mph or so. He said the tire fit at rest but the O.D. grew at speed until it rubbed. Might work with a 17", like Rick said, let us know how it works.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Baznmel

I'm going to go with the 120/90 idea.  Don't really want to change the bike into something it's not- although a satin black paint job like the one on the new Honda 919 and some  tuning fork decals on the tank a la cycle world's featured vision a month ago will give the bike a slightly sinister appearance I'm going to like.  There's a fine line between hobby and obsession.  Thanks for your assistance!

PeteN

My bike cam with a 140/70-18 on the rear and it doesn't rub, but I can't get closer than about an inch from the edge of the tread.  The edge of the tread is about vertical too!  I have a new 120/90 ready to go on.
Pete

h2olawyer

I wonder how they shoehorned that meat on the skinny rear rim!  That kind of distortion is tough on tire carcasses.  It probably creates poor handling characteristics as well.

H2o
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Walt_M.

By the way, my original reason for going with the 120/90 was poor tread wear with the stock rear. I got only a little over 3500 miles with the original and over 7500 with the 120/90. I have over 2000 on the IRC Durotour I put on last year and it is holding up very well, still looks new.
Whale oil beef hooked!

scootertramp

what can we reasonably expect to get from tires, miles wise that is.
I done put close to three thousand on mine..
I see it now..
I need some new rubber.. ahahaha!
might as well do the bearings too..
actually the back looks goode just need a front..
IT's a VISION.   82. 550. water-cooled and shaft drive.
yes'm water-cooled just like a car.
No. no chain. it has a shaft drive like a car.
well no mamm I don't wish i had a car.
well, when it rains I have to find a dry spot.
cause this is a

Rick G

I had been getting 5 to 6 thsound miles on a back tyre , mostly various versions of the Cheng Shin tyre. I tried a IRC durotour and got 1800.!  I then installed a Bridgestone spitfire , which has held up very well  its got 5000 on it now and has 2000 left on it.

I inherited a set of  Kendas on the bike I'm riding  the rear is a 120 90  , I didn't care for the handling at all, its too big and theres no advantage to the 120 as the rim is too narrow for it.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike