Idle mixture screw

Started by GT @ oh., September 28, 2008, 10:25:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GT @ oh.

seems to have fallen off......parked after last ride.... next time I go to start it it starts fine but as soon as I take off the choke it wouldn't idle or rev up .......look at the carbs first.... since it has not been right as I've talked before of.......rear mixture screw and anything behind it is gone....a gremlins lunch.....does anyone have spare parts?..... or can they be found locally?......can someone confirm what all could be missing besides the screw?

zore

1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

GT @ oh.

Rick G

You will need the screw (which is actually an adjustment needle) the spring , a tiny washer and an equally tiny O ring.  I should have all four, if you can't get them locally
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

GT @ oh.

I tried to take front needle out .....to use to find replacement.... but I can't get it out.....tricks ??? .....is it common enough to get replaced by other than dealer? .....if not...... I would like Rick :)   

Rick G

No tricks , really, I use a 1 ft long  screwdriver that I have modified  , by narrowing the tip , to the exact width of the slot in the needle. It allows me to reach in there , with out my big hands getting in the way , which allows me to see what I'm doing.  A hemostat( roach clip, to you old enough  to remember the sixties )  helps to pick it out. The washer will some times stay in side along with the O ring.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

GT @ oh.

I'm suprised no gas comes out with this needle screw missing.....why not?

Rick G

In ancient times, when I started working on bikes , we called it a low speed screw. If I remember correctly carbs that had the low speed screw on the front (ahead of the slide /butterfly)  adjust gas and the ones on the rear(after the slide /butterfly)  regulate air. So the Vision is leaking air (in or out, doesn't' matter) so its upsetting the idle mixture.
Rick G