Is it bad luck to change a motorcycle's name?

Started by xswheels, October 05, 2008, 04:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xswheels

Two days ago I bought Tiger's '82 Vision that goes by the name of Fat Lady.  I just can't keep the name. My wife thinks I am making fun of her. So to keep the peace the name has to go. I know renaming a boat can bring about horrific bad luck and condemnation by the nautical God Poseidon. Does this superstitious infamy also belong to the motorcycle Gods as well?  And who is the motorcycle God? Would I be doubling my misfortune with an already sketchy Vision from Yamaha?
I think just to be safe I will perform a re dedication ceremony to ward off any bad luck and not incur the wrath of those deities that rule the motorcycle gremlins. Perhaps I will spill some libation on the tank and fender during the ceremony. Run strong and last long Black Betty.

Brian Moffet

I think what you need to do is to hold a special ceremony.  That would involve getting Tiger involved of course, and scotch.  Possibly some good beef.  And then in the morning, a long ride....  And you might need to offer something to Hera, the goddess of women and marriage.  Scotch perhaps...

Brian

ironb12s

Hmm, I dunno.  Maybe consult with an ROV from the home country for a romanized version of the same name ie: Fat Lady in Japanese?
Or, a current ROV with a friend reasonably fluent in Japanese, to sound out that phrase for romanization?   ;)

I've been doing phonetic translations of Pinyin/romanized Mandarin for another webgroup, so don't mind me...  ::)

Romanizing, for those that want to know, is the conversion of the oriental script into western characters, by virtue of the sound.  Any linguists on board?   ;D

I have PM'd blacksirokuma for assistance.
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

Night Vision

I Brian is correct, Scotch is the libation used in the ceremony....

... and Glenmorangie is the preferred flavor

and the Grantor of the namesake must be present
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

Quote from: Night Vision on October 05, 2008, 08:56:56 PM
I Brian is correct, Scotch is the libation used in the ceremony....

... and Glenmorangie is the preferred flavor

and the Grantor of the namesake must be present

8) Damn straight and dead right... 8)

Why "The Fat Lady" you may ask... ??? The answer being so very simple...for a Brit!!!

In Great Britain they play Bingo...... but have local slang names/sayings for different number's...e.g. The number 2...One little duck, #22 = two little ducks, #7 = Luuuuucky seven and ....#88 = Two fat ladies.
Therefore.......The number 8 = One fat lady 8) ...Simple, eh!!!

To change a name the Gods have to be appeased...You have been warned my friend :o

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

YellowJacket!

It may not anger the Vision God but it will surely wake up a few sleeping gremlins who are fond of the "Fat Lady" namesake.  Get the best scotch you can afford.  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Tiger

:)...If it helps, I will be at Wolf's place later today and could perform the renaming ceremony ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Shop Rat

Quote from: xswheels on October 05, 2008, 04:47:00 PM
Two days ago I bought Tiger's '82 Vision that goes by the name of Fat Lady.  I just can't keep the name. My wife thinks I am making fun of her. So to keep the peace the name has to go. I know renaming a boat can bring about horrific bad luck and condemnation by the nautical God Poseidon. Does this superstitious infamy also belong to the motorcycle Gods as well?  And who is the motorcycle God? Would I be doubling my misfortune with an already sketchy Vision from Yamaha?
I think just to be safe I will perform a re dedication ceremony to ward off any bad luck and not incur the wrath of those deities that rule the motorcycle gremlins. Perhaps I will spill some libation on the tank and fender during the ceremony. Run strong and last long Black Betty.
frankcalandra49@gmail.com
'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F

Shop Rat

Quote from: xswheels on October 05, 2008, 04:47:00 PM

Sounds like a great name for a bike. Bam-a-lam, the damn thing's gone wild!

Frank
frankcalandra49@gmail.com
'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F

Lucky

How about:
"Octavia"
keeps with the number theme..
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

vadasz1

Or if your a James Bond fan then go with "Octopussy"    ;D
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Lucky

doesn't that translate to 'eight pus....  nevermind...!
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black