News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Stumped with spark

Started by flanker, October 09, 2008, 04:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flanker

A little over a month ago I was riding my V and she just died. Cut out while moving, & boom no more spark. I've been real busy with work and rugby season, but back at looking at my V. I got power to my coils, back down to the TCI, the pick-up coils checked out. My sidestand switch was already by-passed. Has anyone ever had a problem with the clutch switch? And can you just straight up pull off the side stand relay with no conflictions? I'm kind of stumped here and this weekend is supost to be real nice out, any help?
----Mitch

Night Vision

I had a bad "clutch switch".. at the end of the cable going into the perch.

are you cranking over and not getting spark? or just not cranking over? 
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

flanker

It will crank over, everything works. It just doesn't spark on either cylinder. I've been over the wiring diagram and the clutch switch seems like the only other thing in that circit. Did you get a new switch or just bypass it?
----Mitch

Night Vision

if you are cranking then the relays and switches are not inhibiting your starting. It's when it won't crank that the realys and switches are suspect.

are your wires and caps old?... snip 1/4" of wire off the cap end and the coil end and try that.

how about your rev limiter wire at the TCI.. (yellow with black stripe in the six prong connector) cut it!

I don't know alot about electronics, but those two quick things to try....

also, don't forget... tci won't fire you up if the battery drops under 10v..... so have a KNOWN good battery. even a jump to a non-running car batt works good

if you what the whole banana.. .go here: http://www.jetav8r.com/Vision/IgnitionFAQ.html
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

inanecathode

How are you determining you arent sparking. Are you using the sparkplugs that were in the bike or have you used a screwdriver in the plug cap. Easiest thing to do is swap the plugs.

If your coils are powered, and your pickup coils are good, and your spark plug wires and caps are good, the only other thing it could be is the tci. Of course, chop your rev limiter before you swap your tci with a good one.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////