News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

How good is the xz550 really?

Started by The Prophet of Doom, November 02, 2008, 10:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Prophet of Doom

Watching old recordings of Top Gear I was reminded of the fabulous Ferrari Testarossa.  Wondering if perhaps I should have bought one of these instead of the XZ I did some calculations

VehicleHorsepower  Kilograms  HP/Kg  Price 
Yamaha XZ500642280.280$ 1,000
Ferrari Testarossa          37416560.225$70,000

So the XZ is:
Power:Weight  24.3% BETTER
Price 7000% BETTER

No contest really, I made the right decision.  Whew!

Aelwulf

I'm still thinking of getting a Testarossa anyway. ;) The earlier models can be found in pretty good shape for $30-40k if ya keep your eyes open.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

inanecathode

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Aelwulf

And can carry a hot dame in a short dress and high heels...without her complaining about her hair.  Don't want chances ruined because of hair. ::) Then again, not sure I'd care about that type anyway...

*thunk*
What was that?!

YellowJacket!

Didn't the Testarosa come with its own custom toolbox and laptop inteface for tuning?  Or am I thinking about the F1?  Oh well, if it didn't, one more for the Vision as it came with its own custom tools.  However, I don't think laptops were that portable in 1982.
No foofie haired girl is gonna ride on my Vision.  Well, still looking for ANY girl to ride on my Vision as my wife has made it painfully clear that she will not.  :o

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Aelwulf

I think all Ferraris come with their own toolkit IIRC.  But I'd be surprised if the Testerossa had a laptop plugin except maybe in the last couple of years.

*thunk*
What was that?!

h2olawyer

The Testarosa (the modern one - not the original) was produced from 1984 - 1996.  The F1 was made by McLaren @ $1million a pop!  The Ferrari F car was the F-40.  A tool kit is part of the original equipment in road going Ferarris.  Some even come with fitted luggage.

Since this is meaningless pop culture type drivel, Wikipedia has a decent write up of the Testarossa:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_Testarossa

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Aelwulf

Aye.  I think the 512TR would be my preferred.  Refined and improved yet still the original.  The F512 M had some nice improvements but it shifted a bit too much from the model IMO.  The 512TRs still run too much for my blood though and the Ms are still easily in six digits.

*thunk*
What was that?!

h2olawyer

I'd still rather have a Cobra, though.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.