News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Tank

Started by wboeck, November 16, 2008, 01:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[jh]

My por kit should be here this week end, I was wondering if temperature has any affects on the results of a por job.
wow!

Walt_M.

Yes, follow the directions.
Whale oil beef hooked!

wboeck

My instructions do not say anything about temperature besides using warm water to rinse out the Metal Ready. I would assume you want to apply the sealer above 50 degrees. You sure do not want to apply when it is freezing. The instructions I got with the kit are the same as on the POR-15 website.

YellowJacket!

I did my first POR job when it was cold and it turned out like crap.  Not sure if the cold was the problem but I did my second job on a warm day and it worked perfect.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

[jh]

Ya I would think warm would be better, i just didn't know how much it would really effect the por job.
wow!

67GTO

I did both my tanks in the basement. The smell is only from the coating (not the cleaner or acid etch) and it's not that strong.
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Rick G

As far as sealing the pet cock opening , I made a plate , of 1/8 inch aluminum strap and bolted it on the opening , with a gasket I made up, to match.  An old gas cap sealed the  filler opening.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

YellowJacket!

Just an FYI if yo do it in the house.  Pud down a good tarp - preferably plastic becasue if the phosphoric acid leaks out of any rust holes or such onto a carpet or a concret floor, it will eat up the carpet, ruin any kind of flooring, and permanently stain concrete.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

wboeck

I was thinking of using duct tape to seal the openings but I assume it will be eaten away. I like the aluminum idea but I do not have an old cap to use.

Night Vision

I've had good luck sealing the petcock opening with a piece of a magnetic business card and some GOOD duct tape... not the cheap stuff... chemicals will defeat the duct tape quickly...

Lucky used a cork/rubber stopper for the filler opening.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Coil Coyle

Quote from: YellowJacket! on November 20, 2008, 09:48:40 AM
Just an FYI if yo do it in the house.  Pud down a good tarp - preferably plastic becasue if the phosphoric acid leaks out of any rust holes or such onto a carpet or a concret floor, it will eat up the carpet, ruin any kind of flooring, and permanently stain concrete.

David
;D ;D C'mon Dave, tell us "the Rest of the story".

;)
Coil

wboeck

I found a magnet roll from ACE that appears to be fit over the petcock but I could not find a pipe stopper that fits. The diameter of the opening is 1 3/4" and the stoppers were 2" therefore they would not fit. There are rubber and cork plugs that would should fit the opening. However, even if the the plugs would fit the opening, how do you seal the notches? They are 1/4" deep by 1/2" wide. I assume they need to be drained after each cleaning and metal prep so they need to be reusable.

[jh]

wboeck,

i was just wondering how your por job went? I'm going to do mine on friday so I thought one newbie to another might provide some good insight. :)

how did plugging the tank go? I had a bitch of a time with the acetone, couldn't keep in my tank.
wow!

67GTO

To seal the filler hole I made a piece of inner tube, a hose clamp, and a round 3/4" thick wooden disk the same size as
the filler neck. It worked pretty good, but still had a little leakage. The petcock hole was sealed with a piece of inner tube
and a metel plate I made. That did not leak at all.
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

kwells

I used Blue tape on all the holes.  Just apply multiple layers on the tank while dry and press down firmly.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

[jh]

I have a petcock that will never be in use again, do you thing I could just use that? shouldn't be a problem.
wow!

wboeck

I haven't had a chance to use the POR. I am thinking about waiting till it warms up. I am going to try the carb rebuid kit before I do the sealing. I think the tape around the filler hole and using a rubber plug from ACE Hardware should work.