News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

About rear rim

Started by Serch, November 25, 2008, 06:11:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serch

I'm looking for that same rim but with string (not with cardan) for my XS. As I said in this forum, both rims are almost equal, well, the XZ TL is TL with cardan and XS is TT with chain.

What other models of bike carry our rims?

The XZ400 is too with cardan no??

Thx, Sergio

Excuse my poor english. I'm spanish!!

The Prophet of Doom

Quite a few dirt bikes take this size and have chains eg Honda crf, but spokes of course so you may need to seal to run tubeless
try some of the 80's BMWs

The xz400 has identical wheels to XZ550; also a shaft drive.

Serch

But as I am restoring the bike, I would like have the same wheels to home. If I don't have TL will have to put TT.

Can I change the shaft drive to chains??

Thx, Sergio

The Prophet of Doom

xz550s here are euro spec so tubetype, though my wrecked Jap import (1988) XZ400DTT rims were stamped tubeless. 

Everyone I know of(including myself) is running tubeless on the tubetype XZ rims and have never in 25 years heard of a tyre peeling off - probably more of an issue for racing. 

I would have thought it safer to ride with tubeless on a tubetype rim than to cut / drill a wheel to take a chain sprocket, but just a guess.  Take the wheels to an engineering shop and ask what they can do for you

Rick G

There have been  a few XZ550's converted to chain , for racing use , but they have custom built frames and swing arms. Converting to a chain drive  , using a stock frame and swing arm is not feasable .  Personally , one reason I ride this bike,  IS the shaft drive,  A pox on all chains!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Serch

I understand what you mean. If my bike have by shaft drive instead of chain, better; and if my tires was TL better, not think that? So that is my intention. I don't change the frame, or swing arm. If the rim could be dismantled (the part of shaft drive) to change to the chain ...

Staffan

Everything is possible.It's just a matter of time and money. If you want to modify the xz rim to chaindrive you have to make a holder of the rubberblock and something to support the wheel bearing. You have the rear sprocket and the sprocketholder from the xs?

Good luck to you Sergio!

Staffan

Serch

Yes, I have the rear rim of my XS (all wheel) ...