News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

A new rider...

Started by J-Et., November 27, 2008, 02:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coil Coyle

Quote from: J-Et. on December 09, 2008, 02:40:44 AM
Is that a big trouble the top of front cylinder to stay open from 18 years ?

J-Et.

Staying open could have caused two things.
1. Rusting of the camshaft and lifter shims or the cam chain.
      Citric acid, lemon juice, will remove rust if it is not severe. Replacing the rusted parts is easy.
2. Condensation of water into the crankcase.
     Changing the oil will remove water that condensed, drain it before you crank the engine over.

You must find the pipe that is missing from the frame on the right side of the engine.

$0.02
;)
Coil

J-Et.

I suppose so for the rust. Hope there is not too much.... :-[ But i don't think to the condensation. Thank's
Could you explain what are "lifter shims" ? I can't find a correct translation...
J-Et.

Walt_M.

The 'lifter shims' are the valve clearance adjuster shims and are located under the cam lobes. Getting those out could be a problem if they are rusted into the buckets they sit in.
I went back to the photos and there doesn't look like much rust in there so you may be ok. Just hope the valves were all closed or there could be rust in the cylinders.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Night Vision

Quote from: J-Et. on December 09, 2008, 02:40:44 AM

The spark plug in the service manual are : DR8ES-L (NKG). I misunderstand or you disagree about the sizes Rike and Night V.

Rick is correct. 12mm

(I measured the top of plug... less threads / tapered )
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

J-Et.

Walt_M : I hope too...

I just buy a "compressiomètre". I find one with adapters for 10, 12 and 14mm. (could be used for other engines...  ;))
I also need to buy engine oil and a battery.
I tell you more next time i go to Orléans. But first to all, had to clean the open cylinder.... (and the all bike)

J-Et.

YellowJacket!

Well, you have your work cut out for you but I have seen worse....much worse.

The good news is that we are here to help.  :-)

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

J-Et.

Hy,

Some news...

The bike is now on my father garage (after a big cleaning -emptying- of this one)   :)

For have a better look of the bike :

The missing parts :

I have to said that the both cylinder are not close. Bur the valves were all closed. There is no rust on the camshaft.
The engine is easy to turn. But i can't check the compressions because i can't remove the spark-plugs. I need a tool long enough to turn upper the camshaft.
The front wheel can't turn but i think it's because of the breaks. The rear wheel is very easy to turn.

The only thing missing (i think) is one of the 8 little cap on the picture :

I hope i will find one otherwise i have to made one myself.

I don't knew if there is something missing on the rear cylinder.
You can see on the picture on the rear of the cylinder there is noting in face of the camshaft chain idler. On the front cylinder there is something on this area (you can see on the right top corner of the picture)

So i will try next time to check the compressions and to put a new battery to see if the ignition system is working. Is there something special to do before doing this ?

A last question how did i knew if the camshaft chain is tend enough ? She look not very tense but i never work on that kind of engine so i don't knew how it should be...

Thank's for help.

J-Et.

PS : I began the bike driving lesson...

Night Vision

Quote from: J-Et. on December 22, 2008, 05:53:44 AM

I don't knew if there is something missing on the rear cylinder.
You can see on the picture on the rear of the cylinder there is noting in face of the camshaft chain idler. On the front cylinder there is something on this area (you can see on the right top corner of the picture)

no, it is not missing .... only one cam chain tensioner on each cylinder

number 14 below

;D

Rick G

You must find the rubber caps. they help maintain oil pressure for the cam shaft bearings.
The cam chain has an automatic adjuster , UNLESS the adjuster blade is damaged, it should not be a problem. You will need  a spark plug wrench for a 12 mm plug . A 18mm one should do it , you may also need an extension, so that you can use a ratchet wrench to turn the plug.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

J-Et.

Hy,

NV :
I see this schema in my service manual. I may bad explain my question. On the corner of the picture it is not the tensor but "something" in the rear side of the front cylinder) I don't see it on the schema. So what is it ? why only on the front cylinder ???
It's probably not a matter but i like to understand... One possible explanation is that is it just a cap and the rear cylinder don't need it because it "look to the ground" then the dirty can't go in .(i don't knew how to explain what i mean)
Tell me if you want more pictures.

Brian :
Thank's for the link, It look fine. I have to seach on Ebay CA and US to find more useful things ;)

Rike :
Thank's for the explanations. So what i suppose was approximately right. I don't understand what you mean :
"UNLESS the adjuster blade is damaged, it should not be a problem" My english is to bad sorry i'm not sure of the meaning....

A last question, is that possible to find only the top cylinder joint, because the front cylinder joint is broken. I only find the full engin joint but i don't need all the joint yet.

J-Et.

J-Et.

I forgot one thing.
On the schema there are two tings for drive the camshaft chain (24 & 25) but on the bike there is only on on the top of the chain, nothing under....
It's maybe a difference between the 82 & 83 model ?
J-Et.

Night Vision

Quote from: J-Et. on December 23, 2008, 03:00:58 AM

NV :
I see this schema in my service manual. I may bad explain my question. On the corner of the picture it is not the tensor but "something" in the rear side of the front cylinder) I don't see it on the schema. So what is it ? why only on the front cylinder ???
It's probably not a matter but i like to understand... One possible explanation is that is it just a cap and the rear cylinder don't need it because it "look to the ground" then the dirty can't go in .(i don't knew how to explain what i mean)
Tell me if you want more pictures.

I understand... yes there is a "cap" on the rear of the front cylinder and no cap on the rear of the rear cylinder

Brian :
Thank's for the link, It look fine. I have to seach on Ebay CA and US to find more useful things ;)

I was wondering what "cylinder plug" that was for... I know Vadasz1 posted it up, ... but good recognition Brian

hope Rick can answer the other questions

;D

Rick G

J-et  I'll get my parts book out and see it I can understand what parts you are referring to.  I'll get back to you tomorrow.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

J-Et.

Hy,

Good job NV my question was not easy to understand  ;D

Don't spend time on my last question. I see on the service manual a picture of the chain who is exactly the same as the one i made of the chain last week-end. So I suppose everything ok.
I will take a look on the bike to better understand  ??? (I get back to Orleans for the next week-end)

J-Et.

Coil Coyle

Merry Christmas, J-Et

;)
Coil

J-Et.

Merry christmas to all !

J-Et.

Some news :

I change the oil and the oil filter. The oil became something close to shewing-gum... A bit to old...
When I change the oil filter I got a bad surprise. One of the screw came with the thread... So i spend the all Saturday to search an "hélicoil" to repair it. I found nothing a Saturday between Christmas and the new year...
Anyway i finally try a new screw a bit longer. There is still some thread in the end of the hole so i can put a screw. I wil anyway find something for made a real repair but i need to find it...

I clean the air box (can't find a new air filter, the yamaha shop is close and the open ones don't had it).
I also find the little oil plug missing and there is no rust in the gaz tank.

I put a new battery and check the electrics parts. Everything look working except the right flashing (is that the word ??) the front one light is dead and it don't turn on/off but i suppose it's because of the dead light.
The dead point light don't turn on ? I don't knew why. and the oil light don't turn off but it's probably ok because of the missing screw i lost some oil when i check the compression....
The spark plug look working but i got no tester so i don't knew if the light is powerful enough.
I'm loking for gaz tubes ("durites") because the olds ones break like glass.

I try to check the compressions. The rear cylinder is 80 and the front one 70 psi on the manual they are supposed to be 140 when the engine is warm.
I'm not afraid because it's not the good way to check and you tell me they will be low. I think 10psi is not to much difference ? it suppose to be no more than 10psi on a warm engine. do you think it is to much when the engine is cold ?

I got a last question about the camshaft chain before i close the engine an try to start. I take a picture but my girl friend give the camera to his sister yesterday without tell it to me... I gonna show you this as soon as possible....
I try to explain with simple words but i'm sure NV will understand  ;)

So the front cylinder chain look less tense as the rear one. there is one point on the engine turn when the chain is really not tense between the too  gears on the top of the cylinder, it look like the chain will go up to the rear gear but it not append... I can't see it on the rear cylinder.
So should I screw off this two gear an put them back looking to the manual for the exact position ?
If i do it how to screw them off ? I see i have to lock the camshaft with a 22 tool ("clé de 22" in French) but they look pretty hard to remove and i suppose they are screw to the right because the engine is moving to the left ?
Is there a risk to big mistake if i do this ? Is that useful to do this ?
I'm working back on the bike on next week-end. I'm waiting for advise and try to get the picture as soon as possible.

For the pleasure one more picture of the bike i take with my phone yesterday :

Really look nice  :)
J-Et.

J-Et.

Waiting for the picture i made yesterday, i found this on the picture from last week (it's not as easy to see as on my last pictures) :

That append only when i am close to the PMH.  ???
If i apply the chain to the two gears, i can put my little finger between the driver and the chain ! But if i count the chain blocs between the gears they are 6 in both cylinder...
What the experts think about it ?  ;)
J-Et.

Night Vision

that does not look right to me... but I didn't look to close when I had the valve covers off when I adjusted the valves...

I hope Rick or others can advise you
;D