46mm socket...

Started by Tiger, November 29, 2008, 08:10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

Quote from: Night Vision on November 24, 2008, 10:22:56 PM
RE:...the crank nut... not so easy...unless you have a 46mm socket,[/size]

I have (belonging to CanadianLou!!), a custom made socket for this "fix", made by a good friend of mine and who attends all the OnROV rides, (Big Barrie). Barrie is a retired aerospace machine guy with a great at-home machine shop setup.

A year or two ago, CanadianLou purchased a 46mm (1 13/16") combination wrench to do his fix from Princess Auto. It worked but... ???...Along came Barrie who took the wrench and...

Barrie cut off the box end of the wrench, machined its outside edge round and squared off the lead edge were it goes onto the nut.
He then took a 4" length of pipe, welded onto it an end cap which had an old 1/2" drive socket welded onto it and then cold welded the box section, (off of the wrench), onto the other end of the pipe...VOILA!!! A custom, 1/2" drive socket that you can use with a torque wrench 8) 8) 8)

If any body or a group would like one, the cost would be in the $80/$85.00 range plus shipping 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

motoracer8

On Porsche 911's the camshaft/sprocket nut is 46 mm, it's also made so you can use a 1/2" breaker bar or ratchet. The OE tool is too much money but after market ones, the last I checked were in the $40 range.
It looks like a giant flair nut wrench. It works well on that thin nut.

Ken G.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

vadasz1

I just happen to have a good number of discarded 1 13/16" box ends that I cut off of the wrenches that we use on our machines at work.  So on Monday I will gather them and count them and see what I can do for you all.  Maybe we can get Big Barrie to modify these things for a case or two each ( depends on what beer Barrie drinks)
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.