News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

help for those cleaning carbs!

Started by kiawrench, December 01, 2008, 10:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiawrench

some of you will laugh, but folks,,,,,,,, this works!
  i only use a steel bucket to clean carbs, so i do not know if any other will work .

5 gal steel bucket with steel carb basket and mesh screen topper
2 gal carb cleaner
old "personal "massager ,, made by OSTER corp   sort of a rectangle device, 110 v 2 straps --- used mostly in barber shops and hair salons for "scalp massage"
one 24 inch bungee cord

set up for carb dipping as usual, but place fine screen circle over top of your parts, to defray any jumpers
attach the massage device to lowest possible part of bucket  with the bungee, turn it on ,
slowly slide massager unit up the bucket until you see a series of ripples on surface of the cleaner.then just tap it a little further up 1/4 inch or so 
there is very very little chance of spark related fire, and carbs will be as clean or cleaner than most low cost sonic cleaners can provide.

this was not my own design or idea, i actually gave up and asked my father in law's old racing  buddy  how they did it in the sixties !!
  a few words from Mr Davd Pearson  were to be passed along :
1. dont use any carb cleaning device inside a closed shop
2. do not use anything larger than the "scalp massager" as a source of vibration on the bucket
3. anything is fair in racing as long as you do not get caught in the post race inspection

i did some quick internet searching on sonic parts washers, and ,all are pretty much a tank, a source of vibration ,and a cleaner solution.  i tried ,it works ,     sears still sells those scalp massagers as do many web sites , there were three on e-bay none over 13.00     most can be bought for around 18.00 new (with plastic housing ,,35.00 for metal housing ) the plastic one works quite well

My only change to the washer build , is to place a damp shop towel over the top of parts bucket ,to keep stray droplets from staining floor or cement around base of bucket .

keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Rick G

I like your Idea , Kia, but I use a 2 gallon pail , carb cleaner is running 52 to 75 dollars a gallon . There are no 5 gal containers around here!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Night Vision

great idea! beats smackin the can of Gunk with a screw driver handle for 20 minutes  :P

btw... Gunk carb cleaner (1 gal with the basket) is now about $26 a gal.

the basket will hold 1 carb
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

:) Hmmmmm, I like it, neat idea 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

inanecathode

Just a bit of clarification me thinks  ;)

A sonic parts washer isnt just a glorified vibrator, its a piezo electric 'speaker' of insanely powerful porportions that sends sound waves so high frequency and so high power that it causes the fluid in the container to micro cavitate. This means theres microscopic vacuum bubbles coating any and all surfaces in the container, every time a vacuum bubble collapses it creates a point of heat thats hotter than the surface of the sun. This literally burns away anything thats softer than the base metal, and the base metal itself to some extent (point of interest, an ultrasound machine is a low powered piezo electric speaker like the ones in the sonic cleaners, and are also fully capable of burning the surface of your bones off if they crank it up) . If you left your carb in there overnight you'd likely come back to a container of murky water and maybe some brass jets and steel parts in the bottom.

That said though, having anything agitating the cleaning solution with a standard chemical wash is a fabulous idea. A spot of gunk if un disturbed will 'use up' so to speak the chemicals immediately surrounding it, leaving a tiny bubble of inert or disabled chemical immediately surrounding the gunk, so only the surface of it will be dissolved. When you agitate it, it keeps fresh undiluted chemical washing over the gunk so it'll actually dissolve, not just get slimy or soft.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

YellowJacket!

I could always put the bucket on top of my lawnmower...that thing vibrates the heck out of my hands.
your idea is a good one as it will probably vibrate the bubbles out of most of the hard to get at passages and is surely better than just dunking the carbs but inane makes a good point that the frequency of peizo parts washers is very important in breaking up the gunk.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)