News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

P.S.A. for Safety Gear

Started by visionless, December 02, 2008, 12:21:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visionless

It's been awhile since I have posted anything on the site, but I figured this would be a good time to get back on the board.  On Saturday, we had the first annual Ron McCoy birthday ride.  It was Ron, Sal(x-vision), and myself.  The plan was to leave Bakersfield, go through Glenville and then up over Parker Pass and down to Lake Isabella.  For those that came to the last ride in Tehachapi, you did this section of road.  Just before we reached the top of Parker Pass I went down in a patch of sand.  It was a slight right hander in the shade.  I never saw the sand until I walked back down the road to see what caused me to go down.(you'll see it in the pictures).  We figured I went down at around 45-50 MPH.  I had on all my safety gear (which will all now have to be replaced) and I walked away with road rash on my pinkie, a scrape on my forearm, and a sore right shoulder.  So if you have the gear, wear it.  If you don't, go buy it.  A few hundred dollars on gear just saved me thousands in doctor bills and God only knows how much pain.  I was on the Katana, so no damage to the Vision ;D
   Chris (Visionless)
See the pictures
http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb135/ccoyle6731/wreck/
When a whole nation is roaring Patriotism at the top of its voice, I am fain to explore the cleanness of its hands and purity of its heart.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

'05 Katana 750    '82 XZ550
See 12 Visions all in a row!
http://www.myspace.com/ccoyle6731

Tiger

:o WOW, pleased to know that your injuries are very minimal Chris...always good when you can walk away from a bike wreck 8) 

Bikes & gear can always be fixed/replaced ;)

Another story to tell the grandkids, one day ;D :D :D :D :D... ;)

All The Gear, All The Time boys & girls...

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

don_vanecek

Geez, glad your OK!

Would someone (or many) comment on what I should use for gloves, I know I need to improve on that area!

Thanks.

Night Vision

I too was wondering what gloves were involved... seems like the pinky took the brunt of the bodily damage... didn't you just get over breaking your leg? hate to say it... but bad things come in threes... watch out!

Don, my gloves are proabably the weakest chink in my armor... I'll probably save up and get some of these:

"THIS IS THE BEST GLOVE EVER MADE" http://www.motoport.com/Product.asp?Clv=105170
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

Chris -

Glad things weren't any worse!  Heal fast.  Good gear reinforcement for those who don't always wear it all.

I use any of three pairs of gloves - depending on the weather.  For hot days, I have a pair of ICON Hooligan shortys (full finger, but no gauntlet).  For most general riding, some AlpineStars SP2s and for colder weather, some Fieldsheers that can fit some thin glove liners inside.  All are armored and have multiple leather layers on the backs of all fingers.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Aelwulf

Glad to hear it worked out ok.  Sand/gravel seems to be my worst nemesis so far, people I've managed to dodge.  I went down a week ago Sunday on the Meanie because of the same, but slower.  The gear still made a huge difference, but I should only have to replace the helmet.  I'll try to toss my pics up when I get home.  Yours could have been much worse so good to see it all doing its job. :)

Edit: link to a few cursory pics:

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f280/Aelwulf1/Vulcan%20Mean%20Streak/23%20Nov%2008%20Wreck/

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

Kevin

Glad your injuries were minor. I have First gear vented summer gloves and their gauntlet winter gloves, Check out New Enough.com. What's with the bug on Night Vision's post?

Aelwulf

Quote from: don_vanecek on December 02, 2008, 01:58:43 PM
Geez, glad your OK!

Would someone (or many) comment on what I should use for gloves, I know I need to improve on that area!

Thanks.

I use Joe Rocket Sonic leather gloves.  They have the knuckle protectors and some rubber mini-pads on the fingers along with a decent gauntlet, although it's a bit short to stay over regular length jacket sleeves.  They breathe very well (almost too well, hands get a bit cold under 60 degrees).  You can see the limited damage to 'em in the link above from going down, run about $60.  The down side is I think they might have been discontinued, but for the most part when shopping for replacements I tend to compare against these.  Akuma, the company I'd like to get my next helmet from, is starting to make gloves and jackets.  Supposedly their gloves are pretty decent according to the pre-production review on webbikeworld.com (think that's the right site).

*thunk*
What was that?!

Rick G

On Oatman road , at Sitgraves pass , on my first ride there , I came around the corner at the top and whacked the throttle on a little too much . I hit a thin layer of sand and the back wheel started to come around . I ended up flat tracking it for about 50 feet . Since I didn't fall down ,it was a hoot.

I have a heavy  pair of long gauntlet, insulated gloves, that I bought from a custom leather shop in Salem OR.  I have a a shorter , lighter pair , I use in the summer. I know that they don't offer the max in road rash protection, but I can't deal well with the heavier competition style of gloves.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Coil Coyle

QuoteI was on the Katana, so no damage to the Vision  ;D

Thank goodness, son, that the Vision is OK.

;)
Coil

darkvision

Hi Chris,
Sorry to hear about the get-off but I'm glad you escaped serious injury. Thanks for re-emphasizing the importance of wearing appropriate saferty gear. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Vic

Aelwulf

Note on the aforementioned Akuma gloves, on the subject of PSAs: apparently they're partnering with a company and the left glove will hold a USB device to hold critical medical, insurance and contact information in the event you're incapacitated &/or unconcious (or dead I guess).  It's supposed to have a symbol on it the medics would recognize and can be plugged into any USB port on their systems.  Yes, in theory there's the concern about identity theft but there's some concern on anything and they did mention at least inital measures to prevent it.   I don't have full details yet but it does sound like a nice touch.  Kind of a digital dog-tag for riders.

*thunk*
What was that?!

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Aelwulf on February 16, 2009, 12:31:33 PM
Kind of a digital dog-tag for riders.
I have some SAS style dog tags that I got made up with licence number, blood group, organ donor status and emergency contact.  I wear them whenever I am doing dangerous stuff like riding, flying or out of the country.  They were only a few dollars and have the advantage over anything attached to clothing that they are almost guaranteed to travel with you to the hospital.

inanecathode

Thats why i dont like riding hard early in the season. Here at least theres sand EVERYWHERE, and its the kind that'll put you on your ass in a hurry!
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

don_vanecek

I cheer on that street sweeper when it is out in the spring!!

Rick G

In MN. we always were very cautious, until there had been a couple of good rains. In OR. we were cautious until the sun had killed the moss on the road (and in some spots it never did!)
Here in AZ. there's always sand on the road and there's precious little rain to wash it off (usually the rain makes it worse)
Oatman road is a special case , where donkey shite is the worst threat.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Coil Coyle

Quote from: Rick G on February 17, 2009, 08:33:53 PM
In MN. we always were very cautious, until there had been a couple of good rains. In OR. we were cautious until the sun had killed the moss on the road (and in some spots it never did!)
Here in AZ. there's always sand on the road and there's precious little rain to wash it off (usually the rain makes it worse)
Oatman road is a special case , where donkey shite is the worst threat.

Rick,
        The rain is unnecessary, In Arizona the wind clears the road.
$0.02
;)
Coil