News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Will this rear shock fit?

Started by vadasz1, December 02, 2008, 10:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vadasz1

I was wondering of this rear shock from an 'o8 R1 will fit the vision.  Or will some mods be necessary?  I can't seem to find any reference to the specs of the Vision rear shock. 

Can anyone put their $0.02 in.

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/mcy/942227972.html
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

kwells

that's a tough question.  Even if it fits, the R1 rear suspension is linked so the spring rate may also be different. The reservoir might interfere as well.  I'm sure that some adaptation will need to be done but you might open the door to a better rear shock source.

The 82 V's shock is 12.5 inches center of eye to center of eye.

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Glyn

I'd bet that it won't with that big lump on the bottom. Better to go for a shock with a remote resevoir that you can mount somewhere on the side of the bike, or in the case of my shock, under the seat. There is very little room under there and best not to remove any plastics/mudguard etc since you will end up getting road crud into the electrics etc. I chose my shock based on 3 main criteria; Shock length, ability to adapt eye ends (eye diameter and clearance) and weight of the bike it came off. I figured if the bike weighed about the same as the Vision then the spring rate etc would be about right. That's how I ended up choosing an early Triumph TT600 shock. I did the same sort of thing when I swopped out my carb. The Webber IDF carb very closely mirrors the Vision carb in dimensions and action. It is (argueable) made out of better materials however.

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Glyn on January 03, 2009, 05:35:49 AM
I'd bet that it won't with that big lump on the bottom. Better to go for a shock with a remote resevoir that you can mount somewhere on the side of the bike, or in the case of my shock, under the seat. There is very little room under there and best not to remove any plastics/mudguard etc since you will end up getting road crud into the electrics etc. I chose my shock based on 3 main criteria; Shock length, ability to adapt eye ends (eye diameter and clearance) and weight of the bike it came off. I figured if the bike weighed about the same as the Vision then the spring rate etc would be about right. That's how I ended up choosing an early Triumph TT600 shock. I did the same sort of thing when I swopped out my carb. The Webber IDF carb very closely mirrors the Vision carb in dimensions and action. It is (argueable) made out of better materials however.
I found this shock off a Triumph trophy 900 which has Remote preload and damping and meets these criteria
Shock Length  Vision 320mm / Triumph 325mm
Bike Weight    Vision 212kg   / Triumph 220kg
Adaptability no problem with a new custom made bushing
Shock Width is similar - no more than 10mm wider at any point

The only thing I don't know is whether the travel will be similar - I guess I'll find out if it starts bottoming out

http://rsimonnz.googlepages.com/Shock_Small.JPG

QBS

Very intersting.  You may be onto something.  Please keep us posted.  Cheers

Glyn

Pretty sure it will fit and not bottom out. Almost the same as my shock (600 Triumph).

I've got instructions on how to make the top and bottom mounts if you are interested.

I'm at  pickteam@xnet.co.nz

The Prophet of Doom

Thanks Glyn, I have your instructions.

If it doesn't bottom out then it will be a great upgrade.

I had a lower bearing made up.  I thought I'd get away without having the top bracket made because my shock is a touch longer than yours, but the end is thicker than stock, and it clips the frame. 
Otherwise it looks like it will just slot in, so it's just a matter of finding someone to make a bracket up.  In the meantime I have fitted an XZ400 shock which at least seems to still have oil in it.

treedragon

Around town my tender parts are starting to let me know that I have basically beaten my 83 rear to death so after scanning what was available........ not a lot, and as I tend towards 'the spur of the moment', I today ordered a new YSS unit (part # MZ 366-320TR4-14), listed as the one for XZ's.

Arrives in about 3 weeks. Should be interesting..................

The write ups seem good and at the very least it just bolts right on in there and can't be any worse than the way mine currently feels. 60 click rebound and 10mm ride height adjustment, more to play with  ::)

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: treedragon on March 16, 2009, 06:18:51 AM
Around town my tender parts are starting to let me know that I have basically beaten my 83 rear to death so after scanning what was available........ not a lot, and as I tend towards 'the spur of the moment', I today ordered a new YSS unit (part # MZ 366-320TR4-14), listed as the one for XZ's.

Arrives in about 3 weeks. Should be interesting..................

The write ups seem good and at the very least it just bolts right on in there and can't be any worse than the way mine currently feels. 60 click rebound and 10mm ride height adjustment, more to play with  ::)

Shiny !!!  Was this expensive?   Listed as $389.00 ($NZ736) on the US site but I can't find a NZ$ price
Would be very interested in a report when it arrives

treedragon

Will do. I'm probably going to nip around the South Island again before too much longer so could call by.

Don't know the final price, (a known side effect of "spur of the moment" choices). It will be trade price or thereabouts, I've started saving.............  ;D

The Prophet of Doom

Do that, you would be most welcome.  Iain and I live 5 mins apart.

We would go on a trip, but need two functioning bikes first and there always seems to be another part we have to find before we can go. 

This weeks part is piston seals for brake calipers

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: treedragon on March 17, 2009, 03:23:30 AM
Will do. I'm probably going to nip around the South Island again before too much longer so could call by.

Don't know the final price, (a known side effect of "spur of the moment" choices). It will be trade price or thereabouts, I've started saving.............  ;D
If you are down on 5 April, the Classic Japanese Motorcycle Group is having a show
When:Sunday 5 April, 9.00am – 4.30pm
Where: Papanui Club, Christchurch
Restrictions: All Ages
Ticket Information:Adult: $5.00
Door Sales Only

Pre 1985 Classic Japanese motorcycles on display at this indoor venue. View these magnificent machines from all the leading manufacturers of the day: Yamaha - Honda - Kawasaki - Suzuki. 2 stroke, 4 stroke and rotary engines.

A great day out for all, whether you're an enthusiast, bike rider or just wanting to see Japanese motorcycles first hand.
The Japanese bike event of the year, you won't be disappointed!

Children under 12 FREE
Proceeds to the Burwood Spinal Unit.

Cdnlouie

Hey Roro,

How has the Triumph Trophy 900 shock worked out?  Guess it's been a while now.  Looked promising?

Cdnlou

The Prophet of Doom

It fitted fine lengthwise and widthwise.
The connector holes were 2mm wider at the bottom, so I got a new bushing fitted and drilled out to fit as a local engineering shop.
When I tried to drop it in I found out that it clipped the frame at the top - the Yamaha shock has a round fitting, this was more solid.
At this stage I gave up and have it to Iain for his XZ550, I thought he was going to make a bracket like Glyn did for his Triumph shock, but Iain just cut away some material on the shock and has had it on his bike ever since.  As far as I know he is totally happy with it.