A few questions, R/R, exhaust, connections.

Started by Back_in_the_Saddle, June 04, 2004, 01:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back_in_the_Saddle

Ok, so I should have my bike back Friday and I'm planning to attack this thing. But, need a plan, and I'm buying some patience at the local market. First a carb dip, then on to the starter clutch. If thats not where the knocking is from, I'll push ahead. My questions are about the "easy" stuff. I have soldered the 3 white wires already. My 1st question, is should I do this to all my connections, or only these? Second is, I intend on moving the R/R to the rear left near the foot peg, however, I do intend on having passengers on somewhat of a regular basis, does it interfere with their movement? 3rd, my left exhaust pipe is dented, is it possible to remove it, the insides as well, and pop this dent out, and get everything back together and functioning properly? Thoughts?

Lucky

last first. stock exhausts do not come apart, but it should be rusting out soon so... :'(

second just the R/R should be soldered, but on both connections from the R/R.  you will want to hold off on the soldering though until you've tested the system out.  you will also want to go through every electrical connection on the bike and be sure they are clean & tight.  this sounds like a huge pain, & it is, but it will save you a LOT of frustration later on down the road...

the R/R on the footpeg shouldn't cause a problem with the riders feet as laong as you warn them to be careful, you can also move it most anywhere else, it'll be cooler, just qeeping the wires shorter is better than longer...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

I have mine on a T bracket on the left footpeg bracket and it dosen't interfere with the passengers foot at all.
To clean electrical connections whit a minimum of fuss, disconnect each in turn  and dunk it in a small container of CLR for about a min. then dunk it in water for a min. finish off with a squart of WD 40 or LPS  and reassemble .  Its much quicker and works great.
As to your muffler  you can either  put up with it of buy  a really nice used one , like the onI have for sale.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike