News:

Main Menu

Oh Bugger!!!

Started by Tiger, January 01, 2009, 06:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

I loaded "The Mistress" up onto the trailer for the bike show tomorrow, turned around to get the ratchet straps from the garage and...CRASH!!!..."The Mistress" had done a 180 off the trailer >:( :( :'( I had to get Cathy to drive the van & trailer out of the way while I held the "V" upside down and away from the trailer...Laid her on her side and picked her up...OH F**K F**K F**K!!!

Apart from all the oil running out of her from being upside down for several minutes she has a fair amount of damage... :'(

*Left side aftermarket mirror snapped off...

*Left hand front signal light shattered (I have a spare one).

*Left hand lower and vent is shattered in several places...

*Rear light housing is fractured beyond repair...

*Back rest pad snapped off...

*A 2" crack & several chips of paint out of the upper fairing...

Being a custom paint job means its going to be a real bugger to get her colour matched...the original paint shop has gone ::)

I'll check her out properly tomorrow...Needless to say we won't be at the show  :( :( :(

:(.......TIGER.......  :'(
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

h2olawyer

:'( >:( :( :'(

What a lousy way to start the new year.

I know you have a bunch of spare parts, but let us know if there's anything you need.  At least nobody was physically injured.

Chin up & enjoy a wee dram of the single malt.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

don_vanecek

Oh man, we have got to quit loosing some of our choice examples of this great bike to these darn little accidents! I was really looking forward to seeing some pictures of your bike on the stage (so to say).

Sorry to hear about this!

Cdnlouie

I can hardly believe it  :o.  I almost fell off my own stool when I read your note  ???.  I am so....... sorry this has happened  :'(.  Give me a call when you're able to talk about it.

I am seriously happy to hear that you did not hurt yourself  :)

supervision

That's a drag fer sure!  Just, when you least expect it, expect it.   You go from a hero, to a zero, in one second.
" border="0

Night Vision

crap... sorry to hear that.  :'(

Guess she didn't want to go to the show. Maybe there was a reason  ???
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

vadasz1

I guess you forgot to put the center stand down.....bummer
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

joevacc

Oh shit man. Very sorry to hear that. Let us know what you need and we can dig into our parts bins for you.
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

Brian Moffet

I'm really sorry to hear that Tiger. 

Brian

Tiger

:) Thanks everyone...Last night I went Thru' a roller coaster of emotions...Initially shock/horror/disbelief followed by anger (I could have taken a baseball bat to myself!!!)...I did the initial survey and (could have cried :'() decided to leave her alone until today... ??? 

I've done a deal today for a "new" fairing and a rear light cover with my American brother/supplier!!!

I should be able to pick up a new mirror at the show tomorrow... ;)

The back rest pad I can get from eBay... :-\

I have an indicator to replace the smashed one... 8)

I'm not really sure were I'm going regarding the paint work...we will see come spring :D :D... ;)

Sooooo, now I have to strip her down to check her out properly and clean all the oil off of her, give her an oil change, etc ::)

CanadianLou reminded me this morning that this is the first winter I've had without a Vision project for a few years... ::) So I suppose I needed something to do eh!!!

She will be back in better shape come the spring... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

67GTO

Any good body shop should be able to match the paint. I think they can shoot it with
a gun to get the right match.
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Kenny

:-[ :( :-[ :'( So Sorry to hear of this incident Tiger, lucky you or Kathy where not hurt. As for the Mistress (I was looking forward to visiting with you at the show) this can all be fixed with the help of ROV friends and I'm sad to say a bit of $$. hopefully this ends the 2009 Gremlins And you (we) can get on with a Fun Year.
 Please let me know about parts you need.  ;) ;)  
                                  Ken S.  
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Night Vision

John, check your email before you go to the show  ;)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Brian Moffet

what did you use for the aftermarket mirrrors?

Thanks,
Brian

joevacc

Hey Tiger,

Don't forget to check with your home owners insurance policy.  I know those things are different from region to region etc. but it may be covered.  You were not riding it.

I have spent much time "discussing" mishaps with my insurance company - that at first they refused to pay.  In the end I have prevailed to my advantage.

I am sure you will get the old girl up and at em in no time and you now have the excuse to get to those bits under the fairings that you have been meaning tot get to.   ;)

P.S.  I am sure that if you find a painter they can match the paint well enough.   If not, the new paint job will be beautiful I'm sure!

ciao,
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

Tiger

8) This is part of what makes the ROV such a brilliant place for any Vision owner... 8)

Thank you all for the offers of part(s) and advice, (via the ROV and/or e-mails), but I have managed to locate everything that I need to rebuild "The Mistress" and she will be back "as good as new" come the spring.

I started to strip her down yesterday  :'( full fairing, gas tank, air filter box, luggage rack/back rest, rear light plastic cover, etc, etc but was halted by a banging on the garage door ??? Opened up to find my good friend Wolf, all the way from Sarnia, standing there with a bottle of single malt and some beers in his arms. He came up to the bike show, (which is a 3 hour drive for him), went onto the V J M C stand only to be informed of what had transpired and decided to drive another hour north to come and cheer me up...and it worked ;) 
We got rid of a bottle of Jamesons Irish, which I had just opened and a few beers before sleep took over :o :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks Wolf, it was just what I needed ... 8)

Sooooo, I'm just posting this and off to the bike show for Cathy and I...I'll be the one in the Orange T shirt sporting the "Tiger" pictures back and front.... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

YellowJacket!

OMG John, I'm so sorry to hear what happened.  I know all too well the feelings and emotions you are going through as I have been there myself.  I'll never forget the shuttle bus driver asking me if I was the guy who owned teh yellow motorcycle as I was riding out to the lot in the pouring rain.  Its a sickening feeling and even more so when I first saw the damage.

But, like you said, the people here are wonderful and we have all pulled together to help each other in times of need.

The main thing is that you are OK and was not on her when she fell.  Bikes can be fixed, people usually can't.  I think the good thing that came out of YJ falling over was that I found and fixed a lot of little things I had either neglected to do or just didn't know about.  Yes, it cost some money ( I didn't have) but in the end, I think things are much better.  You have had a lot of Vision practice over the years, so I'm sure that with all your practice, The Mistress will be better than ever when shes fixed up.

Take Care my friend,

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Tiger

Quote from: Brian Moffet on January 02, 2009, 05:09:27 PM
what did you use for the aftermarket mirrrors?
Thanks,
Brian

:) I used a pair from "Emgo", but I don't remember which model number :-\ Take one of yours with you to your local supplier and check the base "Footprint" to try and gain a match.

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

Quote from: YellowJacket! on January 03, 2009, 05:49:42 PM
OMG John, I'm so sorry to hear what happened.

The Mistress will be better than ever when shes fixed up.

:) Thanks Dave...and yes your right, I'll get all those wee things fixed/put right during the rebuild and she will come back looking as good as new... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Brian Moffet

I would like to point out that in the last 2 weeks we have had 2 bikes tumble, one a great restore and one a pristine 83.  Since things always happen in threes, take it easy out there people...

Brian