Previous topic - Next topic

67GTO

Don, I have the same problem, any help? :(
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Brian Moffet

Quote from: YellowJacket! on January 25, 2009, 10:21:25 PM
Advice from a Respiratory Therapist:  Fresh air ventilation/circulation is VERY important.  CO kills without you knowing it!  Be careful my friend.

Although it sound cliche, take this advice.  I know someone who accidently asphyxiated himself while he was working on a home built airplane, in a partially open hangar, with a heater.

Tiger

Quote from: Walt_M. on January 26, 2009, 07:48:50 AM
Tiger, what's up with the RZ500 avatar? You didn't grab the one that was on ebay last week did you? I've always thought I wanted one but it just hasn't happened.

:) Noooo.......but I would like to pick one up sometime though 8)

Quote from: don_vanecek on January 26, 2009, 09:46:11 AM
He's probably having the same problem I now have, I can't seem to get the site to take any pictures-even ones I have used before, anyone know how to solve this??

:) Exactly right  ???

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

do like I did..... go find a nice picture on the web... right click to get the properties box /address, copy and paste it into the profile avatar space
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

:) As I dig some more into "The Mistress", more "problems" arise!!!

The starter motor now needs a whack (with a soft faced mallet) to get it to turn over!!!

I found a crack in the left side (under the seat) plastic and one, about the same length... 1" - 1 1/2" in the front fender, right on the leading edge!!! Applied some super glue... :-\

I'm awaiting delivery of the new back rest pad and mirrors that I ordered off of eBay and need to nip over the border to pick up a few other part's that my Yankee brother has for me... 8)

At least I know that by the time the snows disappear and the warm weather arrives, "The Mistress" should be a lot better, now I've been forced to fix properly the "band-aided" odds & ends that I had put off... ::) :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8)......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Cdnlouie

Tiger, you sure know how to have fun! ;) The "Mistress" will be in fine shape by the infamous spring ride. I just need a bit of warm weather to get the car out of my garage and pull the bikes out of hibernation and the new season begins!  Old Wiarton Willie (groundhog) is gonna give us some good weather soon or we will stuff him and mount him  >:(!

Keep warm up there  :D,

Tiger

Quote from: Cdnlouie on February 02, 2009, 08:04:40 AM
The "Mistress" will be in fine shape by the infamous spring ride.

8) Darn straight she will!!! I can't miss my own ride C_L  :o :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

:) Cathy and I met up yesterday with my American brother-from-another-mother (and father!!) for beer 'n wings at Honeys in Niagara Falls New York...Mmmm, mmmm, mmm great hot wings 8)

Great to see him and shoot the breeze for an hour or so before transferring cargo from his pick up to my Uplander. I now have an '83 Black (& Gold accent) full fairing...1 x upper with windshield, 2 x lowers with good vents and 2 good oem mirrors...I bought them just in case the Hannigan project doesn't work out the way I want it to :-\ I also got the '83 rear light cowl to replace the one shattered in the fall as well as the front fender and left side under seat plastic as the originals have cracks in them, again, due to the fall.

The backrest pad arrived last week and that has now been fitted to the backrest frame... 8)

Hopefully today I can get back in to working on "The Mistress"... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

:) Decided to remove the Hannigan fairing and install the American Black '83 full fairing...Now I have to figure out a way to get rid of the Gold decals!!!

Installed the '83 rear light/cowl, passenger grip handles and back rest/rack... 8)

Fabricated a new dash board out of 1/8" sheet UHMW and covered it with a charcoal leatherette fabric...Looks really good 8)

Slow but sure she is coming back to road readiness...and spring is just around the corner!!!

8).......TIGER....... 8)

vadasz1

John, try removing the decals with a heat gun and a scraper.  That's how I got mine off.  Then wipe it with Xylene to really clean any glue residue that was left behind.  Repair any cracks or divots with fiberglass, then sand and get it ready for painting.

If you want it painted you can always bring it to my shop and I can spray a few coats of whatever colour you want with my HVLP setup.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

JDArgonaut

Tiger,
I know that there have been others here that have said something about installing a voltmeter. Do you or did you have one, if so can you get me some details, as I am very interested in installing one on my bike while I am preparing her for this spring. I have some ideas on where and how I want to do it, but always looking for input!
Thanks,
JDA
All in,
JDA

Tiger

Quote from: vadasz1 on February 11, 2009, 10:11:47 PM
John, try removing the decals with a heat gun and a scraper. 

vad, thanks for the offer but the paintwork is excellent and I don't want to damage it. I will try a chemical decal remover first...However, I do have a wee project for you...and I will supply the paint ;)

Quote from: JDArgonaut on February 11, 2009, 10:30:23 PM
installing a voltmeter.

JD, I had a mechanical one set into the upper fairing body, just left of the gas tank in the flat area that goes down from the windshield. I now have a digital one that incorporates a volt meter, clock, stop watch, temp' gauge , etc. This will be mounted to the upper fairing edge covered by the windshield...and just above the gauge pack.

8).......TIGER....... 8)

don_vanecek

Tell us about the digital meter, I know I would sure like something that is both a volt meter and a clock (hard to look at the wrist watch when driving).

Tiger

Quote from: don_vanecek on February 12, 2009, 10:22:58 AM
Tell us about the digital meter, I know I would sure like something that is both a volt meter and a clock (hard to look at the wrist watch when driving).

Here ya go.....

http://cgi.ebay.ca/GL1800-Gold-Wing-Digital-5-Function-Volt-Meter_W0QQitemZ270327919202QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories

Its the same as the one I have, except that I purchased mine from a local motorcycle shop for approa' the same price...and no delivery!!

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Rick G

Radio shack used to carry a neat digital clock, thermometer and volt meter. Mine finally failed after 7 years. The LCD display failed. For now I have an analog meter.
I have an analog wrist watch strapped to the bars next to the throttle, the one in the digital display pulled the battery down in about 10 days.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiger

Quote from: Rick G on February 13, 2009, 01:10:13 AM
the one in the digital display pulled the battery down in about 10 days.

:) Ricky...Float charger... ::)  :D :D :D :D... 8)

xswheels

I too am in the process of buying a Volt meter to mount on Black Betty. I don't have a full fairing so I'm looking for something very small. This one has an auto on/off and is purpose built.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-12-VOLT-DIGITAL-VOLTMETER-FOR-RV-CAMPER-MOTORHOME_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a15Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem230323629200QQitemZ230323629200QQptZMotorsQ5fRVQ5fTrailerQ5fCamperQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

This one is lesser quality but perhaps worth a try for $8. It's too big for my application at 3 1/2 inches, but for someone with a full fairing it could be easily mounted, likely somewhere were it is sheltered.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-3-Digital-Blue-LCD-DC-0-500V-Volt-Panel-Meter_W0QQitemZ260360609959QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item260360609959&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A15|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Rick G

Tiger , I thought about that , but , at the time my bike storage was in a very small shed. I had to push the bike in backwards from the front and there was no room to get in side and hook it up. My current storage is much larger and at some point I'll get the volt meter I want.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiger

:) How to strip the Gold decals from an American '83 fairing #101 ;)

Tools needed...a heat gun!!

8)...Using a heat gun apply heat as evenly as possible over the decal...it needs to be warm, NOT hot!!!...lift a corner and peel back nice and easy...if the decal snaps as it cools, apply a wee bit more heat and peel away. Doing it this way saves a lot of clean up time from glue residue!!!

"The Mistress" now sports a really nice glossy Black full fairing, to which I fitted my black windshield from the damaged fairing. The vent system is fully functional too!!!

Digital volt meter is is now wired up and fitted to the lip of the upper fairing, just above the gauge pack and under the windshield... 8)

Gloss Black rear light cowl/rear light fitted up and working fine... 8)

New back rest pad fitted to the rack and installed on the "V"... 8)

All in all she's taking shape and looking really good 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Night Vision

keeping the tank orange? or are you coming over to the  8) dark side  8) ?

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano