News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Motorcycle Insurance

Started by Jay, January 05, 2009, 03:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay

I recently bought my bike, about a week ago. I had my agent draw up a quote from Progressive, at $184 a year. It seemed reasonable enough. Then Saturday night I went to progressive, just out of curiosity, and ran a quote on my own. $75/year. Wow, having an agent can make quite the difference. I just called Diaryland Insurance, reccomended by another forum, for a quote. $55/yr with 25/50 limits! They had 15/30 as well, but they were both the same price. I'm 25 and have a relatively clean record, but have been licensed for under a year so I thought that would make a difference, but it seems not. What are others paying for their motorcycle insurance?
1982 Yamaha Vision - Restore in progress
1992 Honda Nighthawk CB750 - Salvage Restore
1994 Subaru SVX - Restore in progress
2004 Ford Excursion - Daily driver

vadasz1

Up here in Canada that is what we pay MONTHLY !   :o :o :D :D :o :o

The cheapest quote I got was for $515/yr.

I sure would like to see those rates up here.

BTW, I also pay $1300/yr & $1100/yr for a '98 Altima and a '03 Century, respectively.  House is aout $750/yr.

:o :o :o :o :o :D :D :D :D >:( >:( >:( >:(
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

ps2/bikevision

i just paid $17 for the year here in NC. but i got a multi car discount too.  ;D when i lived in michigan i could get that rate for a month. $171 a year was what i paid through progressive direct. i never go through an agent with progressive. i tried that route for a month or so and had so many problems. the first year i went direct, then second year i went with an agent who kept writing the policy up wrong and i would have to go back in to sign a new one. that was till i said screw it and cancled it and went online and did it direct. i had my truck through direct and only one claim which was easy and painless to file. (the claim that is) they were great, but i found out that the bare mim. that you can get doesent cover much if your in an accident. lucky i had health insurance too.

kwells

I have Dairyland as well. So far so good.

I think my Vision is around 100/yr  liability only

my Triumph Sprint is about 250/yr  fully covered
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

I have Progressive direct, it runs 150.00 a year for both bikes , full coverage.  I need to add un/under insured motorist though, it will run a little over 100.00 extra.  My truck is with Bristol and runs 171.00 for 6 months.  Home is 200.00 a year . I have everything geared down  to a level i can swing in retirement. 
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

motoracer8

I have 4 motorcycles on one policy, $200 a year, that encludes the Vision, with Progressive. I also have a Ducati, and a BMW with State farm as they were $200 a year cheaper than Progressive.

Ken G.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

Jay

Just finalized my quote with Diaryland. $59 and change for 15/30 including uninsured and underinsured. One bike, one policy. My 2004 Excursion with full coverage and my 94 SVX with liability both at 50/100 is another $1200/year. Not bad I don't think. The others are with Harleysville National.

h2olawyer

I'm with State Farm as well.  They will only insure bikes if you have an auto policy with them.  Also, they don't give discounts for completing any rider training courses.  Colorado laws recently changed, so rates changed as well - for the better!  I pay $35 a year for Tractor (liability only) and $95 a year for the Silver V - full coverage & $500 deductible).  It is really for six months, but I am still covered when riding in the "off season" with a "sunny day" clause.  For me, State Farm was still chepaest when compared to Progressive, GEICO, Allstate, Nationwide or Dairyland.  Everyone's situation is a little different so it pays to shop around.

The law change was that if you have personal injury / property damage coverage on one vehicle, that part of the policy applies to every other vehicle.  If you have the coverage on every vehicle, it is all added together.  I keep that coverage on the truck (where it is cheapest) and have minimum required coverage on Tractor (which is awaiting work to become rideable again).  I was paying $75 a year for each bike - liability only - before the change.  Now, I spend less and have comprehensive + collision coverage on the bike I ride most.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kev10104

I just got my renewal and it is $790 a year.

Aelwulf

I had Progressive through USAA in Colorado, $90/year for the Vision.  Moved to Cali and they wanted almost $350/year.  Went through a local agency here, now have all three bikes through Safeco Insurance (think out of Illinois).  It was $330/year for the firs year for all three.  It was supposed to drop down around $250 or so in March this year but not sure what it'll be after goin' down.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

Brian_Matthewson

These guys provide the best rates I've found in Canada http://www.daltontimmis.com/
I pay $350/yr for full coverage. You have to join CVMG ($35) to be eligible for their vintage rates and get an appraisal done ($100) once.
1982 Vision rider from 1991 to 2012.

GT @ oh.

Progressive $75/yr liability only

Rick G

Progressive here is full coverage for 75.00 They told me they don't sell just liability.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

ps2/bikevision

well i found out the hard way that the bear min. isent the way to go. no mater how cheap it is now, if in the event you get into an accident it will cost more than that to cover you just to make sure your alive. i had coverage of 20/40/10 which was the least i could get and when it cost $6000 for 3 stitches in my nose after rolling my truck i relized that if i would of really been hurt then $10000 wouldnt be enough.

GT @ oh.

I think my Ins. does cover my med just not the damage to my property.....hmmm thats interesting Rick I'll have to double check with progressive and see.

davidpope

I live in Georgia and I pay $75 per year for liability through progressive direct. They said full coverage was available for $175 per year with a bike max value of $1500 and a $250 deductable.

Jay

I hate to say it, but full coverage on a bike worth less than 5k seems silly to me. If someone hits me on my vision enough to mess up the bike, I'm going to be 10x worse. It's sad, but inexpensive bikes, unless you have serious emotional connections to it, typically don't seem worth the cost for full coverage. And you'd only need it in an accident if you crashed, not someone crashing into you. And virtually any accident worthy of reporting to the insurance will likely get your bike totaled and taken away, irregardless of how minimal it is, because of the low value. Would you take out full coverage on a $1500 car? Probably not, and yet it stands a better chance of holding up in an accident than the bike.

J-Et.

I don't knew how it is on your country but the prices look soft to me...
In France during your first year of license you can't get a full insurance and you can't insuring a bike like a SV650 ( but an ER6 is ok ?). I have to pay more than 850€ for a simple 1999 XJ600...
For the Vision (i just get the price) because the bike is really old and they have any accident with this bike i can get a full insurance for 600€ even during my first year of license (that's a good thing).
I've got an accident in my cars many years ago it was not my fault (mechanic trouble) but for the insurance i have to be half responsable. So I am agree with Jay, a good coverage is necessary even if it's a bit expensive.

jasonm.

Quote from: Jay on January 05, 2009, 03:44:51 PM
I recently bought my bike, about a week ago. I had my agent draw up a quote from Progressive, at $184 a year. It seemed reasonable enough. Then Saturday night I went to progressive, just out of curiosity, and ran a quote on my own. $75/year. Wow, having an agent can make quite the difference. I just called Diaryland Insurance, reccomended by another forum, for a quote. $55/yr with 25/50 limits! They had 15/30 as well, but they were both the same price. I'm 25 and have a relatively clean record, but have been licensed for under a year so I thought that would make a difference, but it seems not. What are others paying for their motorcycle insurance?

Careful with Dairyland. After 4 years they suddenly classified both my Visons as "sport bikes" instead of a standard bike. The price nearly doubled from a $100 ea to $200 ea on my full coverage high limit policy.  They demanded copies of the titles and more. I gave them all this at the beginning. I told them to take a hike. They are good on touring bikes like my Venture. But are clueless on others.  Needless to say I am with another company.  And Progressive are not the best rates.   I am now with SafeCo
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

kwells

they were never classified as touring bikes so that is actually fitting.  I believe from the get go they were a sport bike....just more of a tour side of that.

Hard to believe they would really be classified as anything other than a standard tho.  I'll keep my eyes open for the switcharoo.  Dairyland also uses credit score as a factor in your rate.  If you choose not to let them run your credit then I think they will still rate you...just differently.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com