News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Would you take a chance on a high mileage '82?

Started by NevadaDVX, January 10, 2009, 04:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NevadaDVX

I found this bike with 48k that does not run for $400.  The female owner says it will not start because of the carbs.  The bike is very clean from what I can tell in the pics she sent.  The problem is, it is 80 miles away.  Any advice is appreciated.  Here are the pics she sent.....

Tiger

:) Hard to tell...but going by the pictures you have she looks in good condition... 8)

Luggage rack/back rest are pretty hard to come by, as is the Shark fairing, although it does need a windshield. Should you not need these two things then you could sell them here on the ROV to get some money back. The mileage certainly would not worry me... ::)

The asking price is $400.00 you say...offer her $300.00 and at worst settle on $350.00. Does it have clear title ??? A Vision with clear title, in that condition, for $3/$400.00 and only 80 miles away isn't a bad deal...in my humble opinion....bring her home, clean the carbs out and start from there!!!

I'm not sure if we have any members near you to give you some "hands on" help... :-\

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

NevadaDVX

Actually she was asking $500, and I offered her $400 on email, and she accepted.  So, unless I go see it and find other "issues",  I would feel like a lo-baller offering her less.  The original files she sent were HUGE and the bike looks nearly flawless, cosmetically.  The only thing that really stood out was a scrape on the exhaust tip.  I was shocked at the apparent condition of the paint especially since we are in the sun-drenched hi desert.  Thanks for the reply.  ;)

Brian Moffet

wow, that has more miles than mine does (at 43,000)  But even still, I know mine still runs well.

Brian

xswheels

I don't have a problem buying a bike with 48,000 miles. To me it means  it was likely well maintained to get to that mileage. Also judging by the fine cosmetics it seems the owner was also careful and caring. The PO says it won't start because of the carbs, that is very likely a true story. Buy it, dip the carbs and you may be on your way. 

NevadaDVX

Was the "shark" fairing a dealer option?  I went with a friend of mine to look a them back when these were new, and don't remember fairings on them.  I know the '83's had fairings, but never seen one on an 82.
At the time these came out, I had a pumped up 78 GS750 then later on had an 88 Ninja 600 and could not see myself on a lowly 550 v-twin.  ;D  Funny how your thinking changes as you get older. 

My biggest problem is I am a small guy at 5' 4" 140, so am looking at getting a smaller bike that still gets out of its own way and handles well and I have always had a fondness for these bikes as well as the Honda VT 500 Ascot.  But those bikes have a ridiculously small fuel tank at 1.9 gallons.

h2olawyer

The "Shark" was a Yamaha option.  I ordered one when I bought mine new way back when.  The luggage rack / backrest was another option.  The paint & gauges give the appearance it  has been stored inside for it's entire life.  I'd say that $400 is a fair price for a Vision in that shape even with the higher mileage.  These are pretty robust engines.

I think you found a potential gem!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

GT @ oh.

I agree with everyone else .........but having said that... your last comment gives me some reserve on if this is the bike for you as......the V sits rather high and its not really that light when compared to some larger newer bikes......though some have removed cushion from the seat to lower the ride.......theres not much you can do to lighten...... apart from maybe a mac exhaust......not trying to rain on the parade.........others will chime in further I'm guessing.

NevadaDVX

Yea, I had already had planned on cutting down the seat.  From tests I read, it is similar in weight to the 600 Ninja I had, around 460 wet.  If so, I can deal with that.  I think being a fairly narrow bike, it shouldn't be too tough to handle at low speeds.

QBS

The bike doesn't have high milage.  Properly maintained Vs' easily run very well with double that milage.  The only way that bike got to that milage was because the starter clutch has been reattached and the starter motor oil seal replaced with the spring lip design.  Both of these are really Good Things.

From the looks of the bike, and not knowing if the tank has been POR treated, or if the bike has an inline fuel filter, those two things and an R. Greville carb clean may be the only things it needs.  All are cheap and easy.

Because the bike isn't running, determining the condition of its' charging system is problematic.  However, it is possible to use a multimeter and do an on site stator coil continuity test without invasive surgery.  Should take about twenty minutes if the stator connection hasn't been hard wired.  If it has been hard wired, minor off site (Read: you own the bike) invasive surgery is required. Details can be found at this web sight.

Considering the excellent performance of the V, even in comparison to current bikes, this bike appears to be a good deal for $400.00

Tiger

Quote from: NevadaDVX on January 10, 2009, 06:08:08 PM
Actually she was asking $500, and I offered her $400 on email, and she accepted.

:) Then go get her... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Tiger

Quote from: NevadaDVX on January 10, 2009, 07:08:02 PM
My biggest problem is I am a small guy at 5' 4" 140

:)Kiawrench and you are around the same height...and he's been riding Visions, slightly modified as needed, for a few years now.

8).......TIGER....... 8)

GT @ oh.

Yes definitely...... the low speed control is excellent......and ditto QBS's statements

Rick G

I haven't seen very many red Visions in that kind of shape , Over all it really nice! :D :D :D :D
Its going to take a front tyre though and probably a rear one as well.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

NevadaDVX

Well, looks I will be picking the bike up this weekend.  I kind of ignored the seller the last week or two because my wife as been a bit resistent for me to get back into motorcycles.  Anyway the seller emailed me back and said she will take $350 for it, and after a few minutes on my knees in front of the wife............it looks like I will be the proud owner of a non-running 82 Yamaha Vision.  8)

She said she is not aware of any rust in the tank, but we will see.  I am really excited about getting it and will keep you guys busy with questions, especially about the carbs.  Speaking of carbs, does anyone rebuild these if general cleaning does not do the trick? 

QBS, what is an R.Greville carb clean and how much is it?

QBS

R. Greville, AKA Rick G., is who I was refering to.  He is an old school, long time bike wrench, Vnary and all round good guy.  He provides carb cleaning services and can be contacted via email directly from this forum.  Welcome to the Joy of Vnaryism.