News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Possible New Visionary, need some help on decision...

Started by jehicks87, January 27, 2009, 10:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jehicks87

I have a possible deal on an 82 vision from an AF guy in LR, Arkansas.  His vision was pulled out of a junk yard in Florida, and he had it running till he put it up 6 months ago.  Now the clutch is frozen...

It is also missing the headlight bracket, and righthand cover under the seat.  He rebuilt the starter and it comes with an extra starter, yamaha turn signals still in the bag, an extra set of wheels and rubber, and a yamaha universal key.  It is a half-fairing model, though the mounting points for the 83 fairing are broken.

My querry is this... how much would I have to sink into this ride to get it running, and more than that, how much to get it streetable?  I read somewhere that an OEM sator is $450!  It doesn't require one right now, but I don't want to have to spend $450 on parts every 1,500-9,000 miles.  Someone please help me out.

Thanks in advance for your responses!
'82 XZ550, '72 Suzuki T500 (project?)

Rick G

Hey JE, you can get a rebuilt stator for under $100 . The other stuff is minor , several people on the forum will have the plastic parts you need as well as the HL bracket.
The clutch can be freed up by rolling the bike down hill, while your sitting on it .
Hold the clutch lever in and drop it in to 1 st while your moving. The clutch will break loose as you drive away.
You will probably need to dip the carbs,  but  that's not that expensive . Email me if you want it done.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiger

:) I agree with Rick, from what you have explained, that is all superficial. Some of the owners Vision's here have had their stators for several years without any trouble...again, not a big deal.
How much do you want to put into this ride depends on you really...begin with the basics: Change the fluid's, spark plug's /caps & wires, clean all the electrical connections, clean the carbs and add a new battery ($30.00 'ish from WalMart).

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

jehicks87

well ok then! lol.  I'm picking up a 72 t500, and possibly another one (parts bike).  Those will make a great project, but ill probably pick this one up to have a rideable bike while working on my baby(ies).

And of course, I never can just leave something "rideable"...
'82 XZ550, '72 Suzuki T500 (project?)