Pattern for Corbin Seat on Brian Moffet's Vision

click on any image for a full size view

Brian was describing his Corbin seat in the Forum a few years back, and he sent me a picture, I liked it so much that I made a drawing of the sections. I sent the drawing to Brian & he measured out the sections of the pattern. now after a few years, I'm going to try to recreate it, with a little bit of modification.

I want to do the lighter sections in black diamond pattern, the darker sections in a natural black "leather". and the piping in gold (to match the bike)

I found an upholsterer at a marina near me who does boat seat cushions in the warm months, and snowmobile seats in the winter. he gave me some tips on doing the seat.

Use floor glue to glue the foam blocks together

use an electric carving knife to shape the foam

put the shaped foam in a garbage bag and suck the air out of the bag, this will make it easier to staple the cover to the pan. Let the air back in to the bag, inflating it, when your almost done stapling the cover to the pan. The smooth plastic will help the foam slide into place, and help keep water out.

use a good quality staple gun.

buy enough material to do the job twice, and expect to. use the first pattern to learn from, so the second one comes out better.



I went back to the upholsterer a few months later (this project was on hold for a while) and discussed it with him again. He gave me some of the foam I needed to play with, but this time he reccomended 3M Trim Adhesive Spray which I had.

As the vinyl I want runs $20 a yard, I decided to make my "test pattern" out of denim, which I already had. Also, I had a really hard time finding the diamond pattern, but Dennis said that by stiching a 1/4" thick piece of foam on the back he could make the pattern I wanted. This of course would be extra. I decided to instead go with alternating sections of grey and black material.

I spent a couple of hours gluing & triming the foam to get the desired shape I wanted. it looks kind of hap hazard, but this is ok since an additional 1/2" layer will be placed over the top of the whole thing to smooth it out, and account for compression when the cover is streched over it.

That night I made the denim cover, by test fitting the pieces, starting at the front and working my way back. I'm no wizard at the sewing machine, in fact I can't even sew a straight line, but I know enough to be dangerous and after a few hours got the test cover mocked up. Those binder clips came in real handy for holding the cover in place and allowed me to get a decent streach on it.

The next day I brought it back to show Dennis. He was impressed at how close I got it to my drawings, and said I earned one "Attaboy". I wasn't sure if he was kidding because he has a very dry sense of humor, but he meant it. That made me feel good. :)

He said that my pattern was close enough for him to make a good cover and he would tweak it where it was needed to keep it wrinkle free and give it nice rounded corners. We are also going to adjust the front grey section a bit so that where it turns down to the pan matches the rear section. (pic with the red circle)

On the sections with the 3 lines in them, those lines will be stiched to the 1/2" foam backing before it is glued down. this will keep the cover from pulling away from the rest of the foam.

The price for Dennis to finish the cover will be $100. This is more than I have lying around, so it might be a while before I can get the cover finished, but when I do i'll add that to this page too.