News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

values of vision

Started by taank, June 01, 2007, 01:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Moffet

Anytime you take on a project of restoring, you really can't look at the project as a whole.  You need to break it down into pieces.  Preferably, get out and do something on the bike on a regular basis.  Once a week, once a day, something along those lines.  Do something on a part, finish that part, and then put it aside.  Eventually you'll need that completed part to complete another larger part.  And eventually, that larger part will be the bike.  Once you get there, you're pretty much done.

Brian

abogado68

I recently bought a vision for a first bike. From the forum, I see how the visionaries love their bikes, which has made me love mine as well. Your bike is beautiful. Honestly, keep it, I think it's well worth it.

Tiger

Quote from: jgarry on July 12, 2007, 09:53:50 AM
quoting about $1100 for carb work, master cylinder rebuild, front brake calipers, and would need to search for parts.  I would expect it needs fork work, and who knows what else (original tires...)? 
A survivor!   :'(

:) First off, welcome to the ROV "Family"...the best place ANY Vision and its owner could be... 8)

Most of us have acquired our "V"s from pathetic, squalid, dark, dingy, damp Garage's/shed's/basement's/out houses/shite houses...from under deck's/tarp's or just plain naked in the back forty >:( >:( Most have sat for 6/8/10 years and have been the subject of someones carelessness/abuse :o ::)... ;) There is not a lot we, collectively, haven't seen...but that is what happens when you are the owner of one, (or several!!!), of Yamaha's Bastard son's ;)

What I can tell you is, if you want that nice looking "V" of your to come back to life...you are at the right place. We have the knowledge, spare part's and the right attitude to help you out...No "I'm smarter than you" attitude here ;) All we want is to help those who want to ride their "V", to help you get the best out of her and keep her running for years to come...is that what YOU want ??? ???

"Lucky" has a C.D. that includes workshop manual's/parts manual with part number's/helpfull tip's, etc...Buy one, you will need it... 8)

Look in the "Swap Shop" for part's...Can't find it/them, just ask ;)

If you decide to fix her, you will be back on the road for a lot less than you have been quoted by a shop, that in all proability, has NOOOOOOO idea about the Vision ::) However, if you decide to let her go, I'm sure someone here will be more than happy to take her off your hand's......

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

jgarry

QuoteIf you decide to fix her, you will be back on the road for a lot less than you have been quoted by a shop, that in all proability, has NOOOOOOO idea about the Vision  However, if you decide to let her go, I'm sure someone here will be more than happy to take her off your hand's......

Yeah, it was in the back of my mind that someone might get the hots for her, want to grab a gorgeous bike for peanuts, we all dream of the barn find, well here it is  ;D

Just typing it in this morning, then looking at my own pictures, I know it's an emotional decision.  I also know I'm not gonna do it myself, I just have too many other things going on for the forseeable future.  The kid at the shop made some comment like "my boss said these were known as problem bikes," not a good sign (but at least someone has some idea  :P ).  Wife heard the quote on the answering machine, another not-good sign.  In the past at different times, I've had to panic-sell a '63 Vette and a ZR1, so I know how it feels to let go of some really desireable material thing.

I'm gonna sleep on it and decide tomorrow.  I'm in Vista, CA, should anyone be excited about it and want to throw a few hundred dollars at me. 

Where can I find carbs, anyways?

Brian Moffet

Quote from: jgarry on July 12, 2007, 07:24:30 PM
Where can I find carbs, anyways?

You can find carb rebuild kits:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-XZ550-XZ550RJ-VISION-KEYSTER-CARB-KIT-1982_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35597QQihZ018QQitemZ280131706340QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

They're well set up.  You would need two of these, one for each carb.  (if you did bid, just send a note saying you would like two...)

Brian

jgarry

Aw jeez, Brian, I was getting emotionally ready to dump it.  Now I have to fix it!   ;)

Brian Moffet

abogado68

ALLRIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

glennw

My 82 Vision... $100.00 (2001)
My Vision 5 year later... $3000.00... (most all the 83 good stuff.. and a few stators......now)
Those who I have met because of my V..  Priceless....    (CROV.. and the 25th anniversary gang)
I've learned to love IT, those associated with IT...(even Brian!) and I've ALMOST learned how to ride IT on asphalt ..
That's why I keep it!
At 54 years old.. that's no shit!
"I'm GlennW... and I endorse the message...."
Half Mad Max

Brian Moffet

abogado68

I have been reading the topics on the forum for quite some time. Never miss them. Now, like I said earlier, I'm planning a trip from SFO to Mexico on the vision this coming November. It's about 2500-3000 miles one way. Regarding the problems typical of the vision, not that mine has had any problems yet, I'm having second thoughts. What do you visionaries think? What good advice do the ROV have?

Thank's

Brian Moffet

I put 40,000 miles on mine before I had major problems.  No matter what vehicle you choose, there is the chance that something will go wrong.  Prepare for that chance as much as you can, and then go have fun.  In my case, I had to rent a truck and come home.  A little expensive, but not life threatening.  A stator or R/R isn't life threatening.

If you want life threatening, I regularly fly a 60+ year old airplane for 3+ hour round-trips.  ;)

Brian

abogado68

Well there you go. My mind is at ease. Thank's Brian.

Brian Moffet

Glad to help.

Brian (phbbt! to Glenn!  ;D )

ColinthePilot

visions, as with airplanes (never flown a 60+ but 25-40 is not uncommon. what do you fly, Brian?) are only as good as their care and maintenance. they can last decades if taken care of. airplanes usually don't come back like visions after years of neglect. I pulled mine out of an Impound lot in october, and it kinda ran. i've fixed a lot of problems and in a few weeks she'll be almost respectably road worthy. I was overwhelmed at the Piece of fecal matter I thought I had been pressured into buying for $225(not by the seller, by my friend with his 81 virago that he completely restored). After I took inventory of what worked and got into fixing it, i got addicted. I go nuts without parts sitting around cuz i want to work on it. all the time.
don't get discouraged though, carbs are an hour job, maybe...deffinitely not $1100 worth of work. Have fun. keep us updated
Colin
It pissed me off, so I jammed a screwdriver into it, hit it with a hammer, and spun it around with a pair of vice grips. Let that serve as a warning

Brian Moffet

Quote from: ColinthePilot on July 15, 2007, 03:17:43 PM
what do you fly, Brian?

Stinson 108, as near as I can tell from records, it's been resurrected 4 times in its life.

ColinthePilot

very nice looking airplane!. I just moved to San Antonio and one of my must visits is Stinson Field. I fly much less interesting airplanes, Cessna's and Pipers mostly.
Colin
It pissed me off, so I jammed a screwdriver into it, hit it with a hammer, and spun it around with a pair of vice grips. Let that serve as a warning

abogado68

How much do you fly? I mean how far have you flown?

Aelwulf

I had to get my bike appraised for the insurance company.  Talking to the general manager at the dealership who does 'em when I told him what type he had a bit of a surprised laugh but knew about it at least.  They don't typically charge for 'em which is cool, and apparently the value book only goes back to 1986. :P So he said to ust write down a figure that should work and he'd sign it.  So I appraised mine at $1,000. :D Considering it's not in bad shape (just doesn't look pretty per se) that's probably not too far over.  I figured to land it roughly in the middle since many range from $400-1,500 within reason.  He signed it soooo...

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

ColinthePilot

Quote from: abogado68 on July 15, 2007, 05:10:30 PM
How much do you fly? I mean how far have you flown?
I was flying weekly till about january, when a tornado rolled through my home base and took out most of the fleet. haven't flown much since then, and i'm just starting a new job, so flying may not be in the cards for a while. longest trip I flew was from Daytona Beach,FL to Marathon Key, FL, about 700nm round trip about 2 years ago.
Colin