News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Dashboard mod?

Started by inanecathode, May 22, 2008, 10:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windjammer

Ultima... Wow, there's a blast from the past! Spent countless hours on that and the Apple IIe with custom notched and double-sided floppies.

Quote from: h2olawyer on May 26, 2008, 03:35:11 AM
How about Ultima in cassette???  (TRS80 stuff)

H2O

vadasz1

I remember back in the days writing and playing games written in BASIC.  Also doing them on a Commodore PET.  Remeber those funny alien loking things with a cassette tape player for a drive system?  I too notched my floppies to make them double sided.  Half the price of the real thing. ;D
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: vadasz1 on May 26, 2008, 10:12:49 AM
I remember back in the days writing and playing games written in BASIC.  Also doing them on a Commodore PET.  Remeber those funny alien loking things with a cassette tape player for a drive system?  I too notched my floppies to make them double sided.  Half the price of the real thing. ;D

I still have a Commodore PET!!!  And it still works!!

Reminds me of a cross between darth vader and a storm trooper.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

My Atari 800XL worked great when I put it away about 20 years ago.  Still have it - may have to get it out again & play some of those old games.  I even still have my Pong!  Wonder what it would look like on the HDTV?   :D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

YellowJacket!

My one claim to fame:  I was (probably) the first kid in the world to play a video game on my TV.  In the early to mid 70's my dad was doing R+D for Philips/Magnavox and he brought home a very large box with some cynder block size controllers.  It was an experiment that Philips was working on for playing games on TV's and it was called Odessy.  It was an early prototype and my dad kept otes about how mucjh he and I played "Pong" and "shoot the box".  I never developed into a video game maven but it sure was fun.  ;D

David

Tanno

Quote from: h2olawyer on May 26, 2008, 12:50:39 PM
My Atari 800XL worked great when I put it away about 20 years ago.  Still have it - may have to get it out again & play some of those old games.  I even still have my Pong!  Wonder what it would look like on the HDTV?   :D

H2O

You may be suprised to learn that your pong may not work anymore. Magetic media has a shelf life. I've got many, many disks of zipped programs/games/utilities....etc. back when I ran a BBS (before the internet). Many of those disks are corrupt when trying to read them now.

If you can read it and want to preserve it, burn it to a CD and copy it back to a floppy when you find it corrupt again.

You've been warned.
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

kwells

I remember in 91/92 I heavily played 'online' MUDS before the internet.  Dang I've been an online junkie for as long as even possible.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

H20 is right , several of my video tapes have crashed , from age. and more 1.44 floppies than I can count. 
My first computer was a Timex Sinclair,  It had an onion skin keyboard, which I replaced with an after market key type. If you could type faster than 20 words a min. it couldn't .
When you pushed enter, the display would go blank and after a few seconds it would re appear with the answer. It had 2k  ram on board and had to close its eyes to think.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

h2olawyer

It was Tanno that brought up the shelf life of magnetic media.

Almost everything for my Atari 800XL is in cartridges like the 2600 game machine.  Even BASIC has a cartridge.

Actually, my Pong does work.  It is the original machine - no floppies, all hardware.  All it did was pong on the TV.  I hooked it up about a year ago and got bored with it in a few minutes . . ..

I forgot all about the Timex - those were quite the rage for a few months!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kiawrench

yellow j-- i was on th eroad over your way recently, saw a written message about your "hard drive"  said it was really flash drive ,and pron eto needing reboot .... anyway , i still have games that work quite well for commodore 64, and 12 BC was a good one, custer's revenge , band leader, tron, frogger, donkey kong,      all were reworked back onto big ol' 5 1/2 inchers, system still works,  anyone want to buy commodore 64 or 128 ???? everything except tv ,,, even have the darned joysticks .        maybe better to put on e-bay, bound to be a real serious geek out there that is just waiting for 1 mb games !!!
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Tanno

I'm not sure on the lifespan of the cartridges. I know the Ataris will never die. :D
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

h2olawyer

Zork!!!  Leather Goddesses of Phobos!!!  Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!!!   (I got the Babelfish  ;D )

H2O

Tanno

I still have the microsopic space fleet in my room somewhere. :D And I still get loads of pocket lint all the time.  ::)

Tanno

I'm sorry, Inane, for keeping a thread going that has nothing to do with your dashboard mod anymore.

Rick G

Sorry ,I don't sweat it when a topic gets hijacked, some of the most fun on the forum happens during these rambling free for alls!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

h2olawyer

Quote from: Tanno on May 27, 2008, 01:01:39 AM
I still have the microsopic space fleet in my room somewhere. :D And I still get loads of pocket lint all the time.  ::)

Heard any good Vogon poetry lately?   ;D

H2O

Brian Moffet

Quote from: h2olawyer on May 26, 2008, 05:44:39 PM
Atari 800XL is in cartridges like the 2600 game machine. 

The first computer I worked on at home was a SWTPC 6800.

http://www.vintage-computer.com/swtpc6800.shtml

YellowJacket!

Hmmmm....it has a power inverter..or is that an inverted power switch?

David

Windjammer

The Infotech games - they were awesome! Ya think kids today would stand for READING a video game?
Ah, those were good days...

Ever wonder if the Vision doesn't run on some kind of improbability drive?  ;)

Quote from: h2olawyer on May 26, 2008, 11:37:01 PM
Zork!!!  Leather Goddesses of Phobos!!!  Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!!!   (I got the Babelfish  ;D )

H2O

jasonm.

I like the 3953 shown. It has rpm's in numerical form in 10rpm increments. Yamaha had a the scale graph LCD tach in the 80's. It was a flop. The 3953, You could set you low speed screws to perfection with that kind of "numerage". I use a tool that does the same. I love the tool. =now I can retire it if needed.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules