News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

unusual find today

Started by kiawrench, June 01, 2011, 08:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiawrench

i was just playing around , not doing anything special when wife volun - told me i still needed to check petcock and fuel pump for ethanol  gel/corrosion (she is keeper of my to-do list this time )
i pulled the tank, popped off the petcock and may as well have hit my self in the head with a hammer.
the pet cock has only been on this bike for about a year, i replaced the original last year just before setting the bike up for long term storage.  anyway what i found was the screen had been eaten away, nothing left of it other than the frame amd the petcock body .

i went ahead and tore petcock down, and found a sticky goop of yuk in the body.  definately explains low fuel flow issue .   i had another petcock in garage from the wrecked touring bike , and a nos screen and seal , so isnt a full loss, but really want to know what melted the screen out of the petcock
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Hartless

are you using and carb cleaner crap or anything of that sort? a lot of that stuff contains acetone , but i feel like that would only make a difference if it sat there for that whole year!but then again , what do i know? :laugh:
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

jasonm.

Quote from: Hartless on June 02, 2011, 07:35:51 PM
are you using and carb cleaner crap or anything of that sort? a lot of that stuff contains acetone , but i feel like that would only make a difference if it sat there for that whole year!but then again , what do i know? :laugh:
Yes, carb cleaners do deteriorate the plastic. Also, ethanol is the worst thing for ANY engine that is NOT EFI type. I.E> old bikes, As the ethanol grabs water out of the air. And we know our gas caps are crude in the vent design.  The water goes to the bottom of the tank and the mess starts. I use Star-tron fuel additive. Boaters us it because they have a long "non-use time". I did test on fresh gas in clear glass cups. One treated w/startron. The other no star-tron. The "no star tron" had water in the bottom of the glass in less than 40 minutes.  The star-tron glass had no water in it and was checked for 7 days till it all evaporated. No water, no seperation. The stuff works!  You can buy the "high concentrate" at Boating supplys or some Walmarts. 8oz. can treat 128 gallons $9. Do NOT but the less striong stuff at the bike shops...which is only good for 48 gallons, yet the same price as the hi-concentrate. So look for the better stuff.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules