out of gas again......

Started by Hartless, May 17, 2010, 11:59:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iain

Mine runs fine with out a pump...

Iain
NZ

Walt_M.

I have a rebuild kit for my '83 fuel pump but I really think I will put an electric one on if this one quits. I put one on my '92 TDM and it works very well indeed. Much easier to start and no running out with half a tank.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rikugun

Walt, are you not convinced going sans fuel pump will work?

QuoteI put one on my '92 TDM
TDM - this one I was unfamiliar with and had to look up. Very nice, especially like the lineage tracing to Dakar rally models.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

inanecathode

Quote from: Walt_M. on May 24, 2010, 04:10:42 PM
I have a rebuild kit for my '83 fuel pump but I really think I will put an electric one on if this one quits. I put one on my '92 TDM and it works very well indeed. Much easier to start and no running out with half a tank.

Can you describe how the electric pump works with the weird 83 return system?
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Brian Moffet

There is only one input, one output, and one vacuum on the current fuel pump.  You would cap the vacuum line,  and just replace the current fuel pump with the electric one.

The returns are off the top of the carbs as shown in this photo:

Brian

Hartless

where would i get an electric pump? hard to install?
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

inanecathode

Cool, brian, what kind of pump are you using, and do you use a regulator? I found when i had to go to an electric pump on the vw i had to use a regulator as the fuel pressure was too high out of the pump and it'd flood.
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

Walt_M.

The electric pump I put on my TDM is off a carbureted R1, it has an internal cutoff and I got it off ebay. I have one from an injected R6 that I might put on the '83 Vision as the excess will just circulate back to the tank.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Brian Moffet

Sorry Inane, I'm not using an electric pump.  When I rebuilt my bike in 2005/6, I also rebuilt the fuel pump and it works fine.  I just know the 83 carbs fairly well.

However, because of the way the system works, you could use pretty much any low-pressure pump.  When the floats block off intakes into the carbs, that will basically just redirect the flow back into the tank rather than pressurizing the fuel line (as happens in the 82s).  That also provides a nice circulation so that you don't suffer from vapor lock in the fuel line.

Brian

Rikugun

Quotethat will basically just redirect the flow back into the tank rather than pressurizing the fuel line (as happens in the 82s)
On the '82, when the float closes and pressure increases to a predetermined point, the regulator opens a bypass to redirect fuel in  a loop from the pump outlet back to it's inlet. In theory, this produces a constant fuel pressure.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Brian Moffet

Oh really?  I'll have to look at a set of 82 carbs some day. :-)

Brian