News:

Main Menu

Road America

Started by Dave T., August 10, 2003, 10:58:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave T.

Well like I said, I went to Road America. Left Friday morning around 10 a.m. I just packed my tankbag and that's all. Nice ride down the Mississippi River to La Crosse, Wisconsin. I always stop here on the way down and get a pics (south of Red Wing).

I traveled to Wisconsin Dells, rode through town and had lunch. Nice uneventful ride. Cloudy day with no rain. Decided to get a room at Microtel in Foud Du Lac, WI. Got a great room for $40. I recommend staying at these hotels when you can (except the whirlpool was low on water and was only about 85 degrees F. >:()

Next morning, get up and clean the bike with the hotels washrag (hey, the V is gotta be clean). I hit the road and head to Elkhart Lake, and after a little looking around, I finally found RA. I came to see the SuperMoto Races and hardly anyone is there. Also the road bike races are cancelled. So since it's early, I head to Lake Michigan about 25 miles away in Sheboygan, WI. Here is a picture.

After sight seeing an walking around for an hour, I remember I left my key in the ignition :o. I figure I better check, but wouldn't you know, someone took my key and I didn't have a spare with me. :'( Now I gotta make some calls. First locksmith said call this person, second said no, third said it's my day off (Saturday) I can't go to you. BUT, he said I could bring the ignition or helmet lock (the one with the Yamaha numbers) and he would re-key it at his home. So, how am I gonna get at the tools with no key? I can't, or didn't want to break anything on the bike. So I ask where the hardware store is, a guy tells me 1 mile away. So I start walking. I did find a store with a cheapo tool set (10mm socket and multiscrewdriver set on sale for $8. Time to walk back, remove the ignition switch, call a cab to get a ride to his house 3 miles away. So for a $30 re-key job at the locksmiths house, a $8 cab ride both ways. I'm back in business (3 hrs later). I hop on the bike and burn it back to Road America.

Weather gets better and I get to see the races. Other than it just being a practice day, and not many people. It was a nice afternoon. Here is a race picture.

Four in the after noon and I decide to ride to LaCross and get another room, 1/2 way home at 6 p.m. I made a toll free call to Microtel in LaCross and they say they are full... :(
Checking for open hotels and no dice. Awesome night for riding, so I decide to ride the whole way home. I crashed at a rest stop and took a 1/2 hour nap on a park bench at midnight. Anywho, around 900 miles I got home last night at 1:30 a.m. Only problem with the V was my low beam was cutting out for a while. Kinda neat riding near blind (I'm glad there is 2 filaments in a headlamp). ?8)
Life is special; and I believe you can overcome it's biggest obstacle, yourself. ;)

Rick G

DT,  you are making me sorry I left MN! Neat trip , wish I could go too!  I carry my tool roll in the tank bag  and a spare key in my wallet.  Really neat picks! go any more?  
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

RobTx

I love reading your ride reports DT.  Keep up the good work.  Your story reminds me that I need to get a spare key, I only have the one that came with my bike!  
Rob

Lucky

I used to keep my spare key in the liner of my helmet, till I saw a show on Fox (of course) on all the weird things they've removed from the human body...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black