News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

wildlife sighting

Started by Rikugun, August 03, 2010, 02:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rikugun

While on a ride Saturday morning I had a four legged critter cross the road in front of me. I noticed movement in my peripheal and got on the brakes thinking it was a deer - which are too plentifull around here. When I turned my head and saw black fur I was surprised to see a bear crossing the road. He moved across the oncoming lane then diagonally away from me at a trot in my lane looking to his right. Suddenly he turned off the road and disappeared into a corn field. Wow! Total viewing time maybe 20 seconds but exhilarating nonetheless.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Re-Vision

I too had a bear cross the road in front of me week before last, I was in my P/U in eastern Arizona and also had the pleasure of seeing elk,deer, wild turkeys, and a coyote. Makes vacations worthwhile along with the cooler temps at altitude.    BDC

VisionMeister

Last bear I saw was dead on the side of the road with a CHP parked there, a big motor home and a car about 50 yards out in the woods.
The owner was sitting on the side of the road with his head down. He had tried to pass the motor home on a double yellow line area, at the same time the bear was crossing the road. The skid marks were quite long. I think he swerved to miss the bear but left the road. The motor home couldn't manuvere and hit the bear. The car not only got wrecked ,but I'm sure got a citation for passing on the double yellow.
The bear was quite large. It was not far from my home and I always watch for wildlife in that area now.
Don't want to tangle with that on my bike.

YellowJacket!

there is a youtube video about "bear vs. Hog".  Neither won.  I'll have to search for it.

And of course there is this one too..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSXPR3wLu4g&NR=1&feature=fvwp

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

QBS

Wow.  There's a bunch of really scary Bambi Vs. Motorcycle videos on YouTube.  Certainly enough to invoke enhanced paranoia.

YellowJacket!

Yeah, mythbusters just did a show about a moose vs car.  I'd hate to hit something that large on a motorcycle.  ...or have it hit me.

David

Rikugun

It was surreal as it happened and took several miles before I found myself saying "holy crap, I just saw a bear!" over and over. Once the adrenalin began to wear off, I started thinking "wow, he was pretty big...sure wouldn't want to run into something like that.."  My luck, he'd shake it off, come over to where I was rolled into a heap, maul me for a bit before returning to whatever it is bear do on their day off.

I don't think we'll be seeing elk here in New Jersey anytime soon but we do have a variety of wildlife. I'm considering introducing some Canadian wolves to cull the deer population. There numbers are way out of control.  ;D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Night Vision

speaking of moose.... my brother and I saw two moose on a hillside on our usual Sunday Ride...

moose are pretty rare here in central NY.... especially the black plywood variety  ::)

... wish I had my camera  :D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rikugun

I've seen black silhouettes of wolves in fields and wondered if they were put there to deter deer from frequenting that area? Like scarecrows in a corn field?

Maybe there is no logical reason and it's just a whimsical decoration like so much plywood yard knomes.... :-\

Lucky

what kind of black plywood silhouette do i use to keep Vision gremlins away?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Walt_M.

A TDM900? Super Teniere1200?
Whale oil beef hooked!

Raj1988

Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Rikugun

These bells are to be attached to your bike and guaranteed to thwart all Gremlins....yea right!

http://www.newenough.com/parts/accessories/extras/gremlin_bells/motorcycle_biker_bell.html

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Rikugun on August 06, 2010, 02:53:42 PM
These bells are to be attached to your bike and guaranteed to thwart all Gremlins....yea right!

http://www.newenough.com/parts/accessories/extras/gremlin_bells/motorcycle_biker_bell.html

I have one.  Trust me, they work.  They will serve you better if it is given to you as a gift though as mine was.

David