News:

Main Menu

Oil Pressure.

Started by lexx790, October 19, 2010, 04:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lexx790

Since putting the bike back on the road I've noticed the oil pressure has dropped and doesn't rise with the revs like it did when first back together.
I'm going to take the side off and check a few things.
I've got the oil pump and relief valve out from my spare engine.
While inspecting the relief valve I noticed that it has a metal to metal valve seat.
Should it have some sort of rubber seal/o-ring on the seat ?

Lucky

QuoteShould it have some sort of rubber seal/o-ring on the seat ?
not that i remember, but it's been a long time since i did the oil cooler

if you pulled the right engine cover, did you change that oil seal?

otherwise i wouldn't run it till you can verify oil pressure with a  different guage.  don't ask me how i know... (shut up Spectre!   :o  )
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

jasonm.

if you pulled the RIGHT side(clutch ) cover off. There is a crankshaft seal. AND Unless you removed this cover PERFECTLY straight off. This SEAL should be replaced... ALL YOUR OIL PRESSURE GOES AGAINST THIS SEAL. Bad seal = low oil pressure. A Snap ring holds it in place. Remove the snap ring and CAREFULLY get the seal out using a cloth wrapped screwdriver or seal removal tool. PUT IN Seal numbers facing you. USE A SOCKET AN HAMMER LIGHTLY. Place new seal in just below the snap ring groove. OTHER THAN THE OIL PUMP This is the most important part of the oiling system
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

QBS

lexx790

Quote from: jasonm. on October 26, 2010, 07:54:30 PM
if you pulled the RIGHT side(clutch ) cover off. There is a crankshaft seal. AND Unless you removed this cover PERFECTLY straight off. This SEAL should be replaced... ALL YOUR OIL PRESSURE GOES AGAINST THIS SEAL. Bad seal = low oil pressure. A Snap ring holds it in place. Remove the snap ring and CAREFULLY get the seal out using a cloth wrapped screwdriver or seal removal tool. PUT IN Seal numbers facing you. USE A SOCKET AN HAMMER LIGHTLY. Place new seal in just below the snap ring groove. OTHER THAN THE OIL PUMP This is the most important part of the oiling system

The seal was replaced during the 1st rebuild. The pressure held good for a couple of weeks but gradually decreased. The cover is off at the moment and the pump pushes oil through easily when turning it. All oilways are clear and the seals still looks in excellent condition.  I'm going to check the pressure sender next . Unfortunately with a week off work i've been dragged into moving/redecorating our bedroom around. Not that simple as I'm moving a built in wardrobe from one wall to another.

Hartless

hmmmm. this makes me think...... maybe i should install an oil pressure guage
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"