News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

still happy,but down a bike now

Started by kiawrench, January 30, 2009, 12:32:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joevacc

Hey Kia!

Get well soon Brother!

P.S. Any one on the forum, who get blindsided by an SUV can actually write out the F-Bomb if they want.  No offense will be taken!!!
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

Night Vision

Quote from: kiawrench on February 04, 2009, 07:05:46 AM

swelling is beginning to go down in my face and right side of neck, but it shows more colors than a box of crayons- one ugly bruise on top of one ugly face--  just too much ugly in one place . leg is really sore , lot of redness and a big bruise showing there too .

this thread is useless without pics!!!   :D :D :D

just trying to get you to laugh.... it's powerful medicine  ;)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

kiawrench

NV - i tried to get wife or daughter to take pics for me of this mess, both refused, but if i had one or three, would sure post them. if for nothing else, than give you guys a handy photo to show your daughters !!   " see, this is the kind of guy you will never go out with " , "you can see he is hard headed ,and just about ugly enough to ruin all this family's hopes for a normal grandchild", and my all time favorite  " that fella is uglier than a shoe leather birthday cake "     

Doc said i can do whatever i feel like doing ,short of swimming,working in yard or going to my job--- but after walking grocery with my wife today, i am not in any hurry to enter any cross country marathons . discharge papers have me going to therapy to keep leg moving so staples don't cause me to bind up any , and some sort of light thingy they are using to help it heal faster (keeps risk of infection down?)  have roxycodone and flexeril in event i cant deal with any issues of pain, but have yet to fill those -

police came by this afternoon, to deliver my copies of blood screen/drug test ,, nothing in my system to point blame on me ( knew that was the case) and to tell me they have not closed the investigation yet due to additional witness interviews they need to do - but they are looking to charge her with a few things, none of which they  would discuss ,yet.
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Tiger

Quote from: kiawrench on February 06, 2009, 11:49:27 PM
and my all time favorite  " that fella is uglier than a shoe leather birthday cake "     

:D :D :D :D Good to see that you still have a good sense of humour...that always helps to get you through the tough times brother ;)

8)........TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

kiawrench

hi all,
hands are pretty much good, healing quite fast , no gauze or tape today . leg doing ok, no infection, no unusual coloring ( other than the bruises - sort of green and purple, streaks of orange and yellow - lol just have staple ends catching on anything not already held between them .

seems my assailant was only charged with two things : driving on suspended lic, and failure to yeild right of way on public highway.
ball is in her court right now,, my lawyer says i am entitled to almost 24k in additional funds to cover my losses as of today, and an equal amount for pain/suffering /loss of rare and documented personal property.

Am thinking i just want all of this to go away, get back to work, and get to building my black mess of a vision into something nice to ride .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

kiawrench

today is going to suck a lot. going to get the staples out-- hopefully none are under the skin. ready for them to come out-

wife is still hoping i will quit riding, but that is not in the list i have of things to do -- i checked, list says
heal up
fix black vision
get back to regular work
ride black vision

the "new " settlement offer is out
and was turned away  due to the failure to replace the bike with one of equal or similar ability or appearance .
they offered a 250 honda rebel-- i wont accept anything short of a 750 shadow /800 volusia . better yet, a fully restored 1982 vision with fairing and hard saddle bags .(prices for all three are around same point  about 5k -- to meet condition and look of my dearly missed silver V ,after all, i had just had it repainted and lettered)     

the remainer of the offer is all good
med bills , lost wages, reduced income during period of recovery ,my gear, all safety gear ,boots  all covered in full .there is also a clause that will cover any additional med bills directly related to injuries from the wreck ,for an additional period of two years
and any and all medications that may be required .

the dollar amounts are a steep, but i didnt hit her, she hit me , and the bike part isnt up for negotiation ,so hopefully she will get the offer right,hate to end up in court and get greedy (lol)    to be honest, rather we settle,move on - hate  the conflicts that keep popping up .

i guess i will just hang on, see what shakes out.

Kevin

You've had your share of bad luck. Glad it wasn't any worse. I found it took a while for me to get back on a bike after flying over a car 4 years ago. What's your advice on protective gear? I went through a similar offer with the insurance company over the bmw value. Looking back the insurance isn't interested in the value of your bike, that's pocket change. It's the injury and suffering, permanent damage to you that will cost them. Keep us informed on your recovery.

kiawrench

kev-
my safety gear is just the common sense stuff
a good pair of 8 inch wolverine work boots , lace ups ,,, comfortable and wont break the bank
jeans, wrangler is best -no bind when on a bike
well fitting shirt, nothing that will balloon out while riding
a honda line jacket -i like interstate jacket ,with the pvc inserts at elbows, back
good pair of gloves -- i sort of like military surplus gloves with inserts great year round
a hjc full face helmet with clear shield
and as per dr orders - a pvc and foam cervical shield (think neck brace) to keep a lot of pressure off my neck while riding ,and for extra protection ( darn thing sure did it's job this time )  mine is single fastener, 3.6 inches high, with a fastener that can be worked with gloves on

i keep a reflective vest in jacket pocket for foggy days and rainy night rides, and have added enough lights so that there is no mistake, i AM visible at night - driving lights under fairing , high mounted led rails (2) on my trunk for brake lights in addition to stock

in my saddle bags i keep a REI first aid kit , has a good bit of stuff in it as well

my most important safety item is my helmet and collar combo ,, on outside is a sticker, one in front, one on each side that says
      "do not remove helmet in event of down rider "  mine are printed red on reflective yellow   the collar has one across the flap where the fastener is .    that is only thing that scares me -- some goofy fella ,trying to be helpful fighting to get my helmet off and doing more damage than the wreck did .  if you cant find the stickers, get that painted on your skid lids ,it isnt much, but can actually save your life .

i do my pre ride every stop, , just to keep up with old bike , and i will not, and wont let anyone else ,ride after drinking .  it just isnt worth the risk .