anyone build and/or own any 4x4s?

Started by Hartless, January 27, 2011, 12:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hartless

post some pics and tell us about it/them!

im in the process of building my street/wheeler bronco. its an 89 bronco xlt running a 302 efi with k&n and bassani exhaust from the headers back. 6" rough country suspension lift with 36" buckshots.stock gears in my dana 44 front and 8.8 rear (3.54:1)

to come:
*built efi 351
*exo roll cage
*38" boggers
*dana 60 rear
*4.56:1 gears front and back with locker in front
*got a warn winch on hold
*going to make 2" body lift
*tie rod end flip
*bumpers front and rear
***maybe more?*** 8)
all metal stuff i try to fab myself, in the proces of modifying sway bars. had ro cut.and shorten front , and need to make quick releases.......
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

Hartless

my stock bronco before i lifted it

AdvRich

Nice looking Bronco. Is that from the years when the back roof section can lift off?

I just sold my '87 F250 about 2 weeks ago. Bit of a Brute with a 6.9 diesel, 4.10's and a 4spd. It only had 66k on it... but too much rust for me to keep for much more than hauling wood and such. We still have the '07 GMC Sierra pu, but it doesn't really qualify in my book as a 4x4.

This pic is on the way up my land to a hill side perch. That's 2300lbs of camper at an inch shy of max attack angle. It would crawl along in LR at just above idle with that load so easily which made it nice to work through the rocks and around stumps. Served me well and will get a newer version in the coming years.

My Toyota camper van in Australia. Mostly stock, except the wheels/tires and the poptop. It had a 2.8 diesel, H/L range and 4spd auto. Sadly had to sell it and a bunch more when I moved back to the States.

And heck, while I'm posting these.. my first. '78 FJ40 LC pictured here in NM on a CC tour... sounded like you were riding behind a Pratt & Whitney at 70. A primitive ride and challenged to stay rust free, but I'd still love to have it around....

Hartless

yes the top comes off. i love it during the summer. i also am planing on taking the doors off and making tube doors. i will try to post more recent pictures with the lift.

i am not a big fan of vans.but that is pretty sweet, i bet you could have lived in that thing. and that 78 fj, love to get my hands on one of those. : ) sweet rides

Hartless

AdvRich

Looking good! Nice bit of clearance to have fun with... gotta work on that parallel parking though ;)  :D
Got any on the level shots? Is that a high lift jack you got up on the back?

Hartless

you know, it didnt look like you did such a good job yourself with that 250! yea  ill post one soon. and yes that is a hi lift  ive got a warn winch im putting on too

AdvRich

Quote from: Hartless on January 28, 2011, 05:35:05 PM
you know, it didnt look like you did such a good job yourself with that 250!
:laugh:

The FJ had a front mounted Warn (electric) and it got me (and some friends rigs) through the kinks in my learning curve almost 30 years ago now. I remember those high lift jacks. Always wanted to get one. I remember seeing this technique where you could lift the vehicle high enough out of the rut or high side and then push the whole thing side ways to drop it back down just off to the side... It was in one of the early 4x books.

Love to see some more pics. The Mrs. and I just watched American Pie 2,  :laugh: what a hoot, and there is a nice blue Bronco in it with the top off.... they all go to the beach in it.

Hartless

yea , i have used that technique on a couple of my buddies rigs that git stuck :)

AdvRich

Looks good and nice ride height -- plenty to work with and not so high that it looks to effect handling too adversely. Cool!

Hartless

thanks man. ive been workin for a while. problem is money. i am going to to put 2 inches of body lift, and 38inch tires. started a little wheeling group but they quite going with me. where areyou locared, idk what adk's is

AdvRich

Adk's is the Adirondacks which is a 6.2 million acre "park" of public and private lands in NY State. It's wrapped up pretty tight on ORV use. I did a good bit of off-roading with my FJ, testing it and me while exploring 25+ yrs ago. Fun and good times. Nowadays, I'm in a different phase of life and about the only 4 wheeling I do is task/project oriented. This is my Oliver "Ollie" 59 hp diesel setting my old wood boiler up at camp a few years back. It gets the job done so I can keep on keepin on.     

Hartless

ahhh i see. ive never been to the east coast, or anywhere  near it or that matter

Rikugun

In keeping with AdvRico's last post with 4wd, Adirondack Park, and outbuildings...

This is my brother's 3/4 ton M37 at my dad's camp in Woodgate NY just outside the park's border. The Dodge has a flat head six, PTO driven winch, and 5.83 gears. We're loading up for a trip into the park to spend the day on Gull Lake.

The little building behind the truck is the outhouse.  :o In the non-web (hi-res) picture, you can see the crescent moon cutout in the gable end.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Hartless

is that a canvas top, or just canvas on the top?

Rikugun

All these military trucks came with canvas tops. I think there was an add on "arctic kit" available that included a hard top, gasoline fired cabin heater/defroster and canvas cover for the grill.  After market hard and soft tops are now readily available. He's had three of these trucks, one with a hard top.

It's last military use was with the National Guard (?) then sold to a fire department in Florida. They painted it white and modified the inner rear fender wells to accommodate a large water tank in the bed. Subsequently, tire chains won't fit the rear tires now. Although the mod is reversible he's been OK with chains on the fronts only. So far that is! Their relatively short wheelbase and narrow track make them great woods trucks. Very robust and reliable.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Hartless

i always  thought that they were just canvas canopy. looks fun though

AdvRich

Nice looking rig and with 5.83's I bet it can really creep when it needs to. I like the flip windshield a/c too. Is that night shot on the way into Gull Pond?

Rikugun

Pond?? What, it's not big enough for you? Hmmph, must be one of those lake snobs...     :laugh: :laugh:

The night shot is coming home from Gull LAKE after a day of kayaking, beers and cooking over the fire out on one of the 2 islands. It will creep along at idle through all but the ugliest spots.

AdvRich

erh uh... ehem Yeah, Gull Lake   ;D  Woops! An old habit of expression from doing deliveries in Tupper Lake on Gull Pond. As you probably know with all of the 'daks and other regions, there are lakes smaller than ponds and reservoirs called ponds like Franklin Falls Pond (just below my camp) and the one it flows into, Union Falls Pond, both of which are lake size and contain deep within the Saranac River flowing on it's way to Lake Champlain. Anyway, sounds like a great time on Gull Lake -- classic really. I was curious to know as it might be a good short D/S diversion/destination sometime.